Nikon F2 photomic & nikkormat EL are pre-AI?

Old December 20th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Default Nikon F2 photomic & nikkormat EL are pre-AI?

I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the
body also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and
will they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

I don't see either of those bodies on this chart:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html

This chart doesn't mention G lens compatibility:
http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm

Hmm, maybe I answered my question he
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/prisms/index6.htm
"Some of the AI-spec Nikkor lenses introduced in later stages such as
Nikon Series E lens family and ALL the current AF-Nikkor optics are NOT
advisable to use with a non-AI camera such as the F2 Photomic, F2S and
F2SB featured earlier (although they can still be mounted on the camera
and in many instances, Stopped Down Exposure measurement is equally
accurate)."

and:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikkormat/elseries/el/index.htm
"EL was the first Nikon which provided Aperture Priority AE - in 1972"

I'm still not getting a clear answer on the use of a G lens without an
aperture ring though.
Old December 20th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Paul Furman wrote:
I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the
body also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and
will they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

The F2 - depending on which version of the Photomic is mounted - may or
may not be AI.

IIRC the Nikkormat EL is not AI and the EL2 is - but I'm not sure of that.

None of these classic Nikon cameras will work with a G lens (IMHO why
use such junk anyway - meaning the G lenses?).

Also, as far as I've heard, the 50 f/1.2 isn't an especially good lens
(as opposed to the Noct-Nikkor of the same aperture).

Old December 20th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the body
also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and will
they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

In the case of the F2, the finder determines whether you need AI or pre-AI.
Which finder does it have?
Neither body can control a G lens.
Jim

Old December 20th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste

"Paul Furman" wrote:

I'm still not getting a clear answer on the use of a G lens without an
aperture ring though.

The short answer is that G lenses are virtually useless on manual focus
bodies. While in an emergency you might be able to record an image
by using one, if you want to use the G lenses you're far better off
buying an inexpensive AF body like an N/F75.

--
Michael Benveniste --
Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $250. Use this email

Old December 20th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Philip Homburg

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:
I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the
body also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and
will they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

No. For G lenses you need at least a body that can control the aperture.
If it is not AF, then forget about G lenses. Even if it is AF, you may
be limited to program and shutter priority modes.

Old December 20th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the
body also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and
will they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

The F2 - depending on which version of the Photomic is mounted - may or
may not be AI.

IIRC the Nikkormat EL is not AI and the EL2 is - but I'm not sure of that.

None of these classic Nikon cameras will work with a G lens (IMHO why
use such junk anyway - meaning the G lenses?).

I've got some very nice G lenses! 70-200/2.8VR 105/2.8 VR micro & a full
frame Sigma 12-24, which I've seen used most often on a Canon 5D, it's
the widest rectilinear full frame lens available.

Also, as far as I've heard, the 50 f/1.2 isn't an especially good lens
(as opposed to the Noct-Nikkor of the same aperture).

Bjorn R. gives it an excellent rating among others. The 58/1.2 noct
costs as much as a nice automobile and I'm looking at $40 for this so
maybe I'll just get the EL for another $50 & re-sell it. They are asking
$250 for the F2, who knows if it even works.
Old December 20th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Paul Furman wrote:
Chris Loffredo wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

I'm looking at a 50mm f/1.2 MF lens but the seller wants to sell the
body also, which I wouldn't mind if I could use my G lenses on it.

Are the nikon F2 photomic and/or nikkormat EL pre-AI type bodies and
will they be able to control a G lens with no aperture ring?

The F2 - depending on which version of the Photomic is mounted - may
or may not be AI.

IIRC the Nikkormat EL is not AI and the EL2 is - but I'm not sure of
that.

None of these classic Nikon cameras will work with a G lens (IMHO why
use such junk anyway - meaning the G lenses?).

I've got some very nice G lenses! 70-200/2.8VR 105/2.8 VR micro & a full
frame Sigma 12-24, which I've seen used most often on a Canon 5D, it's
the widest rectilinear full frame lens available.

Well, if you're a Sigma fan...
(and the Cosina/Voigtländer 12mm is just as wide and undoubtedly better)

Also, as far as I've heard, the 50 f/1.2 isn't an especially good lens
(as opposed to the Noct-Nikkor of the same aperture).

Bjorn R. gives it an excellent rating among others. The 58/1.2 noct
costs as much as a nice automobile and I'm looking at $40 for this so
maybe I'll just get the EL for another $50 & re-sell it. They are asking
$250 for the F2, who knows if it even works.

I haven't used it, but everything I've read says that the Nikkor 50
f/1.2 is *not* a very good lens. A good sample of the Nikkor 50 f/1.4
should blow it away.

F2 cameras tend to work indefinitely (with the exception of the
Photomics - though they can be repaired).

Ask yourself *why* you need or want a f/1.2 lens...

Old December 20th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Michael Benveniste" wrote

The short answer is that G lenses are virtually useless on manual focus
bodies.

The aperture is also not manually controllable on older
auto-focus bodies like the F4 - auto-focus alone won't do.

They can be used on cameras with shutter priority or program
auto-exposure but only in auto mode, no bulb exposure or
DOF preview.

For G lenses in general you want a modern-style body
with the control wheels and the LCD display on the top plate.

SOW [SOW, is 'speaking of which' a GDA?], is there a Nikon
body that has proper DOF preview in auto exposure mode?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old December 20th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jim

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
.. .
).

Bjorn R. gives it an excellent rating among others. The 58/1.2 noct costs
as much as a nice automobile and I'm looking at $40 for this so maybe I'll
just get the EL for another $50 & re-sell it. They are asking $250 for the
F2, who knows if it even works.

My F2 with DP-1 finder definitely still works. These cameras are very very
rugged.

For that matter, I also own an S2 whose serial number and cosmetics place it
as a 1955 model. It still works as well as it ever did.

Jim

Old December 21st 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

Chris Loffredo wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

I've got some very nice G lenses! 70-200/2.8VR 105/2.8 VR micro & a
full frame Sigma 12-24, which I've seen used most often on a Canon 5D,
it's the widest rectilinear full frame lens available.

Well, if you're a Sigma fan...
(and the Cosina/Voigtländer 12mm is just as wide and undoubtedly better)

Well, that's a rangefinder.

Also, as far as I've heard, the 50 f/1.2 isn't an especially good
lens (as opposed to the Noct-Nikkor of the same aperture).

Bjorn R. gives it an excellent rating among others. The 58/1.2 noct
costs as much as a nice automobile and I'm looking at $40 for this so
maybe I'll just get the EL for another $50 & re-sell it. They are
asking $250 for the F2, who knows if it even works.

I haven't used it, but everything I've read says that the Nikkor 50
f/1.2 is *not* a very good lens. A good sample of the Nikkor 50 f/1.4
should blow it away.

It's supposed to have quite nice bokeh. It's supposed to handle flare
quite well for it's class too. Oddly the 58/noct rates poorer on this
MTF chart:
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00Ew8i&tag=

Ask yourself *why* you need or want a f/1.2 lens...

Low light shooting of course, street shooting & in the woods. It should
make a great '75mm' portrait lens. Could be handy reversed on the 105
macro, less vignetting, lots of interesting possibilities. Closeups with
an extension tube even (better light for focus control). And only $40!