Inkjet printer replacement recommendation

Old September 2nd 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default Inkjet printer replacement recommendation

John McWilliams wrote:

John Turco wrote:
Alexander Miha wrote:

edited, for brevity

I am looking at printers for under $200 (buying in the US), but can
spend more if the quality is significantly higher. Also, I always print
from a computer so printing directly from memory card is not important.

Do you know/use something that fits the above descritpion?

If you want superb photo-quality prints, with incredible detail, pick
Epson.

If you want endless headaches, pertaining to clogged nozzles, pick
Epson. g

May I suggest comp.periphs.printers; look up one Arthur Entlich who
hangs out there. He'll send a manual to anyone who requests it directly
that'll be helpful to owners of most Epson models.

--
John McWilliams

Hello, John:

Good idea. One of Arthur's methods, discovered during a Google Groups
search, has allowed me to unclog my Stylus Photo 825, more than once.

Cordially,
John Turco
Old September 13th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve Dell

Consider either the Epson R300 or the R1800 if you need larger than 8 by 10
"Alexander Miha" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I am looking for printer recommendation to print digital photos (I have
a BW laser for other stuff) to replace a dying HP 5550. The features
I look for a

1. Good quality output
2. Borderless printing, preferably both 4x6 and full page (8x10, 8.5x11)
3. Reasonable cost of ink per page
4. Reliable: can withstand a pattern when it sometimes sits for months,
then prints 40 full pages of trip photos.

I am looking at printers for under $200 (buying in the US), but can
spend more if the quality is significantly higher. Also, I always print
from a computer so printing directly from memory card is not important.

Do you know/use something that fits the above descritpion?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
-- Alex

Old September 14th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rich

My understanding of the difference between the Epsons ( great photo ink) and
the HP's is that the HP's replace the inkjet heads EVERY time you replace a
print cartridge. The Epsons, (I have read) don't ...their nozzles are
integral to the machine .

When my Epson nozzles plugged up... there was NO way that I could clean
them, even after scanning the web and trying a number of q-tip applied
cleaners, etc.

Assuming that data is correct...I've bought my last Epson. The recent one
was put out for the trashman. RG

Old September 15th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article ,
"rich" wrote:

My understanding of the difference between the Epsons ( great photo ink) and
the HP's is that the HP's replace the inkjet heads EVERY time you replace a
print cartridge. The Epsons, (I have read) don't ...their nozzles are
integral to the machine .

When my Epson nozzles plugged up... there was NO way that I could clean
them, even after scanning the web and trying a number of q-tip applied
cleaners, etc.

Assuming that data is correct...I've bought my last Epson. The recent one
was put out for the trashman. RG

True. I have a Epson PM950 that makes a great door-stop but it was
hopeless for printing. I now have a Canon Pixus 6100i that makes great
A3 prints.