Manual for Tamron Adaptall 2x Teleconverter

Old August 26th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim

Default Manual for Tamron Adaptall 2x Teleconverter

Anyone have a manual for a Tamron Adaptall II 2x SP BBAR MC
Teleconverter? Model 01F.

If you have a spare, or can scan it, I'd appreciate having a manual for
this adapter. Called Tamron yesterday, and they don't have them
anymore.

TIA.

Old August 28th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Mitchum

Tim wrote:

Anyone have a manual for a Tamron Adaptall II 2x SP BBAR MC
Teleconverter? Model 01F.

If you have a spare, or can scan it, I'd appreciate having a manual for
this adapter. Called Tamron yesterday, and they don't have them
anymore.

Is there a specific question you have about it? They're pretty
straightforward pieces of equipment...
Old August 28th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim

Well, let's see if I can explain it.

First, it's a bugger-bear to get on and off. Don't know what the
proper nomenclature for the pieces are, but I'll try:

There are two protrusions at the front of the lens (same as the
adapter), that seem to be intended to "catch" a slide on the next
forward lens in the "chain". The protrusions are on opposite sides of
the lens, 180 degrees apart. The "catches" on the other lens are only
about 165 degrees apart. Are these supposed to "lock" each other, or
not? Mine do, and I have to get a card between the two to seperate the
lenses.

Second - there are f/stop markings on the teleconverter (f/2.8 - f/64).
But there is no laperature on it. So, are these merely used as
"indicators" of what the forward lens is set to? Or a reduction of the
attached lens? (since you generally lose about 2 stops of light with a
teleconverter).

Those will do for a start - depending on the answers, I may have a few
more.

Old August 28th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Mitchum

Tim wrote:

Well, let's see if I can explain it.

First, it's a bugger-bear to get on and off. Don't know what the
proper nomenclature for the pieces are, but I'll try:

There are two protrusions at the front of the lens (same as the
adapter), that seem to be intended to "catch" a slide on the next
forward lens in the "chain". The protrusions are on opposite sides of
the lens, 180 degrees apart. The "catches" on the other lens are only
about 165 degrees apart. Are these supposed to "lock" each other, or
not? Mine do, and I have to get a card between the two to seperate the
lenses.

The tabs and slots fit together just like on the adaptor. To get them
apart again, you have to push the little button, just like on the
adaptor.

I've found it's easiest to deal with Adaptall adaptors and TCs if you
set the lens aperture to the widest setting before assembly, then move
the tabs on the adaptor (or TC) to a pretty close position, and then
carefully put them together.

Some TCs won't fit on some lenses. For instance, I can't use the 1.4x TC
on the SP CF 28-80mm; the lens' rear element sticks back too far to fit.

Second - there are f/stop markings on the teleconverter (f/2.8 - f/64).
But there is no laperature on it. So, are these merely used as
"indicators" of what the forward lens is set to? Or a reduction of the
attached lens? (since you generally lose about 2 stops of light with a
teleconverter).

That's exactly what it is. It shows you the new effective aperture, two
stops dimmer than the setting on the lens. It's just a convenience. Set
the aperture on the lens' ring (or in the camera or wherever you
normally do it).

Those will do for a start - depending on the answers, I may have a few
more.

Ask away. :-)
Old August 29th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tim

The tabs and slots fit together just like on the adaptor. To get them
apart again, you have to push the little button, just like on the
adaptor.

Which little button? The only button I see releases an internal catch
on the bayonet lugs internally (actually only one of the lugs). These
tabs really grab into the slots, and they WON'T come apart without
putting a stiff, thin card in between the tab and slot to release them.
I could bend them out, but that seems radical. Quite a tricky
operation to get off. Putting it on isn't too bad. Is there another
button I'm missing?

I'm using this on the 500mm mirror, to get an effective 1000mm. Yes, I
know that with this setup it'll be about f/16, and it'll need to be a
REAL BRIGHT day, and still crank the ISO up a tad, but it does make for
an inexpensive 1000mm lens combo. This 500mm is pretty sharp,
considering what I paid for the lens and converter on ebay ;o)
Typical mirror bokeh, and lack of contrast, but not bad, and will have
to do until I can afford to get a Canon 100-400 IS.

Old August 29th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Mitchum

Tim wrote:

The tabs and slots fit together just like on the adaptor. To get them
apart again, you have to push the little button, just like on the
adaptor.

Which little button? The only button I see releases an internal catch
on the bayonet lugs internally (actually only one of the lugs). These
tabs really grab into the slots, and they WON'T come apart without
putting a stiff, thin card in between the tab and slot to release them.
I could bend them out, but that seems radical. Quite a tricky
operation to get off. Putting it on isn't too bad. Is there another
button I'm missing?

There's a button on the lens, and you press that to remove the adaptor,
right? So you also press it to remove the TC.

You shouldn't have to wedge anything between them. You're using the TC
on a Tamron Adaptall lens, right? It'll only work on a Tamron lens.
Old August 30th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Paul Mitchum wrote:
Tim wrote:

The tabs and slots fit together just like on the adaptor. To get them
apart again, you have to push the little button, just like on the
adaptor.

Which little button? The only button I see releases an internal catch
on the bayonet lugs internally (actually only one of the lugs). These
tabs really grab into the slots, and they WON'T come apart without
putting a stiff, thin card in between the tab and slot to release them.
I could bend them out, but that seems radical. Quite a tricky
operation to get off. Putting it on isn't too bad. Is there another
button I'm missing?

There's a button on the lens, and you press that to remove the adaptor,
right? So you also press it to remove the TC.

Yep - got that already, and it unlocks the bayonet lug so you can start
to turn the lens.

You shouldn't have to wedge anything between them.

Yep - once you hit the button you mentioned, and begin taking the TC
off the lens, it locks tight and won't release at all, unless you do
something to pry the keys/slots apart. Doesn't appear anything's
damaged on either lens or TC, but once those "keys'" lock into the
"slots" (per the manual's description, and BTW - only one key will lock
into only one slot on the 500mm f/8, they don't exactly line up for
both), you have to do something to get the lock out of the slot to
complete removal of the TC from the lens.

You're using the TC
on a Tamron Adaptall lens, right? It'll only work on a Tamron lens.

Yep.

Old August 30th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Mitchum

wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:

[..]
You shouldn't have to wedge anything between them.

Yep - once you hit the button you mentioned, and begin taking the TC off
the lens, it locks tight and won't release at all, unless you do something
to pry the keys/slots apart. Doesn't appear anything's damaged on either
lens or TC, but once those "keys'" lock into the "slots" (per the manual's
description, and BTW - only one key will lock into only one slot on the
500mm f/8, they don't exactly line up for both), you have to do something
to get the lock out of the slot to complete removal of the TC from the
lens.

You should be able to move both tabs on the TC to line up with the slots
on the lens. Set the lens aperture to the widest setting (smallest
number). Adjust the tabs on the TC before you put it on the lens. Then
put the body mount adaptor on the TC.