Printer Recommendation For Slides

Old March 2nd 05, 02:15 AM
Lou Leciejewski

Default Printer Recommendation For Slides

I am looking into purchasing a new printer that will be able to allow me to
scan in slides and then transfer them to CD so that I could view them on a
TV. Problem is I would like to have a printer that will be able to also
have a FAX option too. Can you scan in slides on any printer? Any
recommendations? I would also like to scan in papers, articles, etc as I
did on my Visioneer Flatbed Scanner here. I have read and looked at a few
printers today and none had any mention of scanning slides in the spec
sheet. Thanks for any suggestions or printer webpage links.

Regards,

Lou Leciejewski

Email:
Old March 2nd 05, 05:49 AM
Avalanche

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:15:05 -0000, Lou Leciejewski
wrote:

I am looking into purchasing a new printer that will be able to allow me to
scan in slides and then transfer them to CD so that I could view them on a
TV. Problem is I would like to have a printer that will be able to also
have a FAX option too. Can you scan in slides on any printer? Any
recommendations? I would also like to scan in papers, articles, etc as I
did on my Visioneer Flatbed Scanner here. I have read and looked at a few
printers today and none had any mention of scanning slides in the spec
sheet. Thanks for any suggestions or printer webpage links.

Regards,

Lou Leciejewski

Email:

I could be all wet but, everyone but Mr Magoo looks at slides in a
viewer or projected, i.e. enlarged. IF you could scan then, pls tell
me what s/w you have to enlarge them well.

Common sense, or idiocy, says you can't scan a slide. Something about
it being a transparency. Given that, and technology, I assume it is
possible professionally at expense. And I assume there's a machine
that will run, manipulate,transfer, etc slides. But not at Wal*Mart.

But most printers have FAX
Old March 2nd 05, 06:47 AM
rafe bustin

wrote:

[...]

The OP is probably talking about "MFP"s or "3-in-1"s,
from Epson, Canon, Lexmark, HP (et al) containing a
printer and cheap flatbed scanner (and maybe FAX,
and/or a card socket and/or a PictBridge port.)

There certainly *are* such things as slide scanners,
even affordable good ones -- but I haven't ever seen
an MFP whose scanner could accommodate slides. Nor
would I expect to.

For scanning ordinary reflective targets, MFPs are quite
OK, and even as printers, the output can be excellent.

For a decent, cheap slide scanner check out the Minolta
Dimage or maybe a used Nikon CoolScan or Polaroid SprintScan
on eBay.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old March 2nd 05, 06:54 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:15:05 +0000, Lou Leciejewski wrote:

I am looking into purchasing a new printer that will be able to allow me
to scan in slides and then transfer them to CD so that I could view them
on a TV. Problem is I would like to have a printer that will be able to
also have a FAX option too. Can you scan in slides on any printer? Any
recommendations? I would also like to scan in papers, articles, etc as I
did on my Visioneer Flatbed Scanner here. I have read and looked at a
few printers today and none had any mention of scanning slides in the
spec sheet. Thanks for any suggestions or printer webpage links.

I know of no printer that can scan slides. Multifunctional printers have
flatbed scanner function, but in my experience (though not extensive)
picture scanning is not very good in them. Some flatbed scanners have
slide scanning. For scanning slides, you should get a proper
negative/slide scanner.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to
Old March 2nd 05, 07:30 AM
Frank ess

Gautam Majumdar wrote:
[...]

Unless you'd be satisfied with a Polaroid print. Calumetphoto.com lists
a Daylab
slide printer (3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Polacolor) for $149.99.

--
Frank ess

Old March 2nd 05, 09:39 AM
Roy

What a load of rubbish is being talked in this thread.

Did I see someone actually saying that Slides can not be scanned, because
they are transparent?

Of course there are Multi Function Machines which can scan Slides as well as
Film and Documents, and Print and Fax and read Flash Cards.
To name but one, Epson Photo RX600.

Whether they do as good a job at any one Function as a single Function
machine, is another matter. However their Cost is considerably less than a
Printer Plus a Flat Bed plus a Film Scanner plus a Fax Machine plus a Card
Reader.

Viewing photos on TV via a DVD player is entirely possible, but the quality
of the Image is not all that great. A Computer Monitor gives much better
quality.

Roy G

Old March 2nd 05, 02:08 PM
rafe bustin

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:39:45 GMT, "Roy"
wrote:

What a load of rubbish is being talked in this thread.

Did I see someone actually saying that Slides can not be scanned, because
they are transparent?

Of course there are Multi Function Machines which can scan Slides as well as
Film and Documents, and Print and Fax and read Flash Cards.
To name but one, Epson Photo RX600.

Whether they do as good a job at any one Function as a single Function
machine, is another matter. However their Cost is considerably less than a
Printer Plus a Flat Bed plus a Film Scanner plus a Fax Machine plus a Card
Reader.

Viewing photos on TV via a DVD player is entirely possible, but the quality
of the Image is not all that great. A Computer Monitor gives much better
quality.

Roy G

I stand corrected; I didn't know about the RX-600's
slide-scanning capablilty.

OTOH, I have some experience with Epson flatbeds
used for film scanning. I wouldn't go that route
again.

I agree that MFPs can be a great bargain if one's
needs aren't terribly critical.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old March 2nd 05, 03:34 PM
Roy

---------SNIP-------------
Viewing photos on TV via a DVD player is entirely possible, but the
quality
of the Image is not all that great. A Computer Monitor gives much better
quality.

Roy G

I stand corrected; I didn't know about the RX-600's
slide-scanning capablilty.

OTOH, I have some experience with Epson flatbeds
used for film scanning. I wouldn't go that route
again.

I agree that MFPs can be a great bargain if one's
needs aren't terribly critical.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Yes, I would agree with you that FBs are not as good at Film Scanning as
dedicated Film Scanners.

Also the printer mech in the RX600 and 500 are the same as the R200, not at
all in the same league as the R800

I suspect I may be wrong about its ability to Fax.

I suspect, from the lack of knowledge displayed about equipment which is
widely advertised, that these Posters should have been doing a spot of
reading up, rather than asking questions here.

A quick look at the Epson or H.P. site would have been more sensible.

I can understand that most people, who already have a system which does
everything they need, will not be spending too much time studying the specs
of new equipment, they know they will never be interested in.

Roy G