Megapixels?

Old June 30th 04, 10:20 PM
FredG

Default Megapixels?

A 4Mp camera obviously has more Mp that a 3Mp camera, however as a newbie
I'm not sure of the difference in the photos I'd take.

I'm shortly going abroad and want a digital cameras so I can send pics to
people either via e-mail, embedded in Word or Powerpoint offerings, or maybe
just burned onto a CD so as the recipients can open and view them at their
leisure.

I'm aware of the digital v optical zoom differences, however I'm not looking
to spend much over £160.00 so I'm currently looking at a smallish pocket
sized camera with 3x optical zoom - either a Fuji A340 or a Minolta G400. Or
maybe a Kodak 6440.

Would a snap-happy amateur benefit from a 4Mp camera or would a 3Mp do as
good a job given that I am not into any kind of "serious" photography.

Thanks.

Old June 30th 04, 11:15 PM
grenner

If you do not plan on doing any prints over 4x6 inches or so then a 3 is
just fine. If most of the pics are going to be emailed or viewed on a
computer monitor then a 3 is just fine.

Greg

Old July 1st 04, 01:59 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"grenner" wrote in message
If you do not plan on doing any prints over 4x6 inches or so then a

3 is
just fine. If most of the pics are going to be emailed or viewed on

computer monitor then a 3 is just fine.

A good 3 MP image will print fine up to 8x10.

Old July 1st 04, 11:59 PM
FredG

Thanks for all replies.

I've gone for an A340, primarily because I can get AA batteries anywhere if
the rechargeables expire.

Fred.

Old July 20th 04, 01:35 AM
Arte Phacting

Hi FredG

I think you did the right thing

The camera will work without a computer as you can edit shots in the camera
itself.

If you want to get the most out of it a computer (Windows XP makes life very
much easier) and a card reader (look at ebuyer.co.uk for a multi card USB 2
device) opens up a lot more functionality without getting too serious and
keeping the phun level hi

Well done m8!

Artie