New to Large Format

Old January 27th 05, 03:23 PM
Gianni Piccoli

Default New to Large Format

Hi, I would like to start to use large format cameras.
Have you any suggestion for a novice ?

I have seen a lot of large format cameras, but some seem very similar,
only the price is very different, what do I have to look for in a large
format camera?

Regarding the lenses, I would like to use a 4x5 camera, what do you
suggest to start with ?

Has someone an approximate idea of the cost of these lenses ? (new and
used)

TIA

Gianni Piccoli
Italy

Old January 27th 05, 03:36 PM
jjs

"Gianni Piccoli" wrote in message
newsan.2005.01.27.14.23.26.139351@*RE*MO*VE*wpwe b.com...
Hi, I would like to start to use large format cameras.
Have you any suggestion for a novice ?

What kind of large format photography do you wish to do? It makes a
difference.

For field work, here's a complete system (from Ebay Italy)
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...91283 00&rd=1

Of course, there are far less expensive alternatives, but we need to know
what _kind_ of work you wish to do - rugged outdoor photography, easy-access
outdoor photography, studio?

Old January 27th 05, 03:47 PM
Nick Zentena

Gianni Piccoli wrote:
Hi, I would like to start to use large format cameras.
Have you any suggestion for a novice ?

I have seen a lot of large format cameras, but some seem very similar,
only the price is very different, what do I have to look for in a large
format camera?

Regarding the lenses, I would like to use a 4x5 camera, what do you
suggest to start with ?

Has someone an approximate idea of the cost of these lenses ? (new and
used)

Gianni what do you want to photograph? Do you really like wide lenses or
longer ones? Will you be carrying the camera far? Or will it stay inside?

Old January 27th 05, 03:51 PM
Shelley

Have you any suggestion for a novice ?

Your questions are too general to be answered here in a meaningful way.
Books can, and have, been written to help people new to large format
photography learn about buying and using large format equipment. The books
by Leslie Stroebel and Steve Simmons are both good but there are others as
well. I'd suggest buying one of them or checking one out of your local
library if they have any, visit web sites devoted to large format
photography (e.g. www.largeformatphotography.info), do some reading, and get
at least a general idea of what type of equipment might be suitable for your
purposes, . Then armed with a little knowledge you can pose more specific
questions here while also telling us what type of photography you plan to do
with your camera and what your price range for camera, lens(es), etc. is.

Old January 28th 05, 02:16 AM
Msherck

In addition to the articles on the View Camera website, try to find a way to
borrow or rent a view camera, lens, and a polaroid film holder and buy a box of
polaroid film to try out for a weekend. Let's see, you'll also need a tripod
and a dark shirt to use as a focusing cloth. The best way to get to know this
is to try it.

As for buying equipment in Italy, I've never been there. I understand that it
can be more expensive than here in the States, but I don't know for certain.
Almost everything I've bought for photography has been via E-bay and for the
most part I've gotten very good prices and good quality but your experience may
be different. For example, my 5x7 Burke & James wooden field camera with an
ancient 250mm lens cost me US$150 a few years ago and that's about the price of
a Speed Graphic camera and lens these days. (I've since bought better lenses
and sold the old one.) A Speed Graphic is often described as a reasonable
starter camera for someone new to large format; at the least you ought to be
able to sell it for about what you paid for it, should you decide that view
cameras aren't for you. The same goes for older Calumet monorail 4x5 cameras;
they often sell for about the same price as the Graphic cameras. Good luck!

Mike

C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.

Old January 28th 05, 06:43 PM
Heinz Grau

As said in previous replies, it is important to know what you are planning
to do in LF. Start reading some books.

An example: I do mainly landscape and a little bit architecture, and I need
a portable gear for backpacking in the mountains. So I bougt a used Woodman
camera, which is lightweight but has some limitations (bellows draw). I use
a 90mm and a 135mm Congo lens, and a 150mm and a 240mm G-Claron. All of them
are relatively lightweight, and I carry with me only those I plan to use
(sometimes I am wrong).

The Woodman does not turn up very frequently on ebay, but it's still
available new at Horseman dealers (www.horsemanusa.com). Never saw a Congo
lens on ebay either (www.cosmonet.org/congo/index_e.html), but G-Clarons
appear frequently.

However, if you will do more studio photography, the above may not be
exactly what you need, although it's workable.

BTW: there are ebayers in Italy, too, I bought some photo stuff from there.

Have a good takeoff into LF

Heinz

Old January 28th 05, 07:28 PM
Gianni Piccoli

Thanks everyone for the answers, in fact I will start to visit the web
sites you mentioned to build an idea of what I can do with large format
cameras.

I will want to take some pictures at home and take advantage of the large
format camera capability to focus objects on different planes, but I
will also like to bring the camera outdoor and take pictures of landscapes.

Gianni Piccoli
Italy

Old January 29th 05, 02:56 AM
Steven Kefford

Heinz Grau wrote:
As said in previous replies, it is important to know what you are planning
to do in LF. Start reading some books.

An example: I do mainly landscape and a little bit architecture, and I need
a portable gear for backpacking in the mountains. So I bougt a used Woodman
camera, which is lightweight but has some limitations (bellows draw). I use
a 90mm and a 135mm Congo lens, and a 150mm and a 240mm G-Claron. All of them
are relatively lightweight, and I carry with me only those I plan to use
(sometimes I am wrong).

Heinz,

I am also considering getting into LF, and I would be looking mainly at
landscapes, with a bit if architecture/cityscapes. Do you find the
amount of available movement with your camera limiting, or is it adequate?

Steve
Old January 30th 05, 07:20 PM
Heinz Grau

Hi Steve,

for me it's adequate, the Woodman has quite good movements for its price
(and weight). But if you want to go into indoor architecture, you will need
more movements and an exchangable bellows, so you can use a bag bellows with
your wideangle lenses. This may be the case for citiscapes, too, where you
sometimes cannot move away from your objects.