USB flash drives & photo printing kiosks

Old April 7th 11, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
ps56k[_2_]

Default USB flash drives & photo printing kiosks

I have a small USB flash/thumb drive on my keychain
that I use for a variety of uses... just in case type things.

Anyway - I have repeatedly had problems
with using any of my USB flash drives
with a variety of photo printing kiosks at the local stores....
the Kodak one, along with the other brand-x types.

It's not just my single keychain flash,
it's any of the different brands laying around the house -
always have a problem reading them in the kiosk.
In fact, I'm sure that at one point,
one of my flash drives was trashed by a kiosk,
and is no longer even recognized by our laptops.

I usually try to print - have problems reading the drive,
come home and re-copy the photo files to an extra SD Card
and go back and use the SD Card, which works just fine.
It's not even a large 2GB+ drive size issue,
some are 2GB drives or 1GB, some are more.

Anyone else had probs with using USB drives & the kiosks ????

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

Old April 7th 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Daddy

ps56k wrote:
[...]

If I owned such a kiosk I would do everything to prevent my kiosk from
being infected by someone's USB drive.

Daddy
Old April 7th 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
ray

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:23:09 -0400, Daddy wrote:

ps56k wrote:
[...]

If you don't insist on MS, it's generally not much of a problem.

Daddy

Old April 7th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Better Info[_6_]

ps56k wrote:
[...]

Which is odd, because many USB flash drives use micro-SD format chips in
them (or seem to), and SD cards seem to work according to the OP. My
keychain flash-drive just uses interchangeable Micro-SD/HC cards. The whole
thing is just the width of a USB plug/port's contacts, not even including a
USB plug's external width, and about two times as long as the
contacts'-width. Much smaller than the average key on a keychain. The only
drawback with it being so small, is that I accidentally left it in a
notebook I was repairing for a friend's friend, and had to call them when
they got home to remind them to find it and take it out to return it. They
didn't even notice it plugged in until I told them to look for it. The same
way that I didn't even notice I had left it plugged in to begin with.

Old April 8th 11, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
~misfit~[_2_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Daddy wrote:
ps56k wrote:
[...]

What's to infect Daddy? A *nix system that boots from a ROM chip? (Hint: ROM
= Read Only Memory.)

Some people take paranoia to the next level....
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Old April 10th 11, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
Allen[_3_]

On 4/10/2011 9:41 AM, Dave Cohen wrote:
On 4/7/2011 1:59 PM, ps56k wrote:
[...]

I've used several different brands (sizes ranging from 256 Mb--really
really old--up to 8 Gb) in the kiosks at CostCo and Wolf Camera (part of
Ritz Camera) with no problems. The USBs have survived and as far as I
know, so have the kiosks. If there was any damage to the kiosks it
probably been brought to my attention.
Allen
Old May 9th 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops
mm

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:59:06 -0500, "ps56k"
wrote:

[...]

Have you talked to the people at the kiosk?

My credit/debit card wouldn't work as a credit card at one chain of
gas stations and when I asked inside, the manager said that happened
with Bank of America, and Maryland Federal Credit Union..