Photo editing software for editing lotsa pics

Old December 15th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob Haar

Default Photo editing software for editing lotsa pics

On 12/14/08 10:06 PMDec 14, "Dave" wrote:

I need photo editing software that allows for very efficient / large
scale editing of pictures. I'd like to be able to edit several
thousand outstanding pics (from a couple of longer trips I took), and
photoshop is taking just too long. (I'd like to be able to edit each
picture in seconds, and not minutes.)

The problem with photoshop is I've found it doesn't allow for quick
work flows of basic touch ups. 90% of my touch ups involve tweaking
shadows and highlights, levels, Hue / Saturation, and the like.

If you have common steps in your workflow patterns, then Lightroom or
Aperture (Mac only) may help. But if you need to apply different levels of
compensation on each photo, you will still have a fair amount of work to do.

Old December 15th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jurgen[_4_]

Dave wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:58 pm, Bob Haar wrote:
On 12/14/08 10:06 PMDec 14, "Dave" wrote:

I need photo editing software that allows for very efficient / large
scale editing of pictures. I'd like to be able to edit several
thousand outstanding pics (from a couple of longer trips I took), and
photoshop is taking just too long. (I'd like to be able to edit each
picture in seconds, and not minutes.)
The problem with photoshop is I've found it doesn't allow for quick
work flows of basic touch ups. 90% of my touch ups involve tweaking
shadows and highlights, levels, Hue / Saturation, and the like.

If you have common steps in your workflow patterns, then Lightroom or
Aperture (Mac only) may help. But if you need to apply different levels of
compensation on each photo, you will still have a fair amount of work to do.

OK thanks that's unfortunate, as my photos are varied / i was indoor,
outdoor, all over the place. I'll still check out Lightroom, but will
likely keep looking for other batch editing software.

DxO Optics Pro.

It lets you run on auto or individually adjust images and then does a
bulk development of your images, dumping them into a new folder or the
source folder with a different name to the images.

It will also fix on the fly:
:
Noise
Lens errors
tonal range
and just about anything you care to make it do.

Learning curve for custom adjustments is short and most of all, it works!
Old December 16th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:57:50 +1000, Jurgen
wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

....the only problem I find with DxO is that it won't address a RAW
file. That's a big deal with me. I've been trying to "Adobyize" just
to keep things in the same corral and really like Lightroom, and
Bridge is becoming useful as a wonderful viewer. Of course, the
"bridge" to Photoshop is handy. I've tried Bibble recently and find
the crop function to be clumsey compared to LR...other than that
Bibble really is pretty good. And,yes, Eric, I've tried the Nikon
software, too, but the allure of all that is Adobe keeps me coming
back and learning a bit more every time...all that said, if it saves
me time when processing 3,000 shots I'll switch in shutter priority
(that's *fast*)!

cg
Old December 16th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jurgen[_4_]

wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

Hate to burst your bubble Charlie but DxO Optics Pro is one of the best
RAW developers in the world.

It's only purpose for existing is to process RAW files and fix all the
lens errors (for lenses which it has modules for) whilst also fixing the
quaintly digital problems micro lenses on the sensors cause. The current
version goes a lot further and fixes noise like no other software I've
used before.

Recommended workflow for RAW development is: DxO Optics Pro followed by
Adobe Lightroom. DxO integrates with Lightroom to achieve a quality
result. 3,000 images will take you the best part of 5 hours with a fast
PC. In Lightroom the time will be longer because much of what DxO does
automatically has to done by hand in LR.
Old December 16th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_3_]

wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

....well, duh! *Oj course it does RAW*, I had it mixed-up with
something else...I've had it for a year or so and in recent months
went away and started using LR from start to finish with Bridge as a
viewer. I am chagrined!

cg
Old December 16th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_3_]

wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

....ah,*Noise Ninja* won't do RAW in their stand-alone version, I've
been going round and round with all this stuff trying to find my ideal
work flow, I might just be welmed! Actually, Jurgen, we've discussed
this in the thread about NN that I started...I've come to really like
the texture that NN gets, compared to DxO and that's why I left DxO,
but the problem remains that I have that extra step... LR won't allow
me the batch NN processing that I need for the night work I do and yet
I want and *need* the RAW mode to work in so LR is still in the lead
....I'm cooking some files up in DxO right now and will try to be
empirical this time..heh, well *patient* is prolly a better word..I
find the controls in DxO to be clunky compared to LR...

cg
Old December 16th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Charlie Groh wrote:

to keep things in the same corral and really like Lightroom, and
Bridge is becoming useful as a wonderful viewer. Of course, the
"bridge" to Photoshop is handy.

For some reason I ignored Bridge, but recently have discovered its
charms as you describe. This includes it being the 'upload' manager
from the camera/CF-card to whatever directory, conversion to lossless
DNG and rename on the fly. The customization of the display (date
'kinds' (taken, modified), basic exp. info, etc. is great too.

Then use it as a previewer and to open the files in PS, or use the right
click "Open with" to open with any other application. All from within Br.

I might even re-consider buying light room now as long as Br can be the
image/file manager.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old December 16th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Alan Browne wrote:
Charlie Groh wrote:

to keep things in the same corral and really like Lightroom, and
Bridge is becoming useful as a wonderful viewer. Of course, the
"bridge" to Photoshop is handy.

For some reason I ignored Bridge, but recently have discovered its
charms as you describe. This includes it being the 'upload' manager
from the camera/CF-card to whatever directory, conversion to lossless
DNG and rename on the fly. The customization of the display (date
'kinds' (taken, modified), basic exp. info, etc. is great too.

Then use it as a previewer and to open the files in PS, or use the right
click "Open with" to open with any other application. All from within Br.

I might even re-consider buying light room now as long as Br can be the
image/file manager.

One of the reasons I like LR so well is that it's a much better file
manager than Bridge.

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 16th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

John McWilliams wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

I might even re-consider buying light room now as long as Br can be the
image/file manager.

One of the reasons I like LR so well is that it's a much better file
manager than Bridge.

I tried LR some time ago and the reason I dumped it was the obscurity
associated with file storage. That may have been in the early days
after getting the iMac, however, so maybe time for another go at it.

Considering the CS3 investment that I have it seems unreal to even
consider purchasing LR however.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 17th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_3_]

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:37:50 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

Charlie Groh wrote:

to keep things in the same corral and really like Lightroom, and
Bridge is becoming useful as a wonderful viewer. Of course, the
"bridge" to Photoshop is handy.

For some reason I ignored Bridge, but recently have discovered its
charms as you describe. This includes it being the 'upload' manager
from the camera/CF-card to whatever directory, conversion to lossless
DNG and rename on the fly. The customization of the display (date
'kinds' (taken, modified), basic exp. info, etc. is great too.

Then use it as a previewer and to open the files in PS, or use the right
click "Open with" to open with any other application. All from within Br.

I might even re-consider buying light room now as long as Br can be the
image/file manager

....that's where I'm trying to get, Alan. I'm slowly going thru
Kelby's CS3 book and using LR alot from the get-go! So I guess I'm a
little backwards, but nothing new there...

cg