Rearranging Order of Photos

Old November 4th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

Default Rearranging Order of Photos

Say you're making a slideshow. You get your pix from a variety of folders,
and each set of photos is numbered or labeled when you bring them in. The
computer will always arrange them numerically, alphabetically, by date, or
some scheme that is not what you want.

So the task is to put them on an electronic lightbox, rearrange them, and
then have them stay that way when imported into your show. Is there a handy
program that can do that? Or am I missing something in Windows that can
already do that?

Gary Eickmeier

Old November 4th 10, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote:

Say you're making a slideshow. You get your pix from a variety of folders,
and each set of photos is numbered or labeled when you bring them in. The
computer will always arrange them numerically, alphabetically, by date, or
some scheme that is not what you want.

So the task is to put them on an electronic lightbox, rearrange them, and
then have them stay that way when imported into your show. Is there a handy
program that can do that? Or am I missing something in Windows that can
already do that?

Gary Eickmeier

Rename them so they are alphabetical in the order you would like, as in
aDSC_8876, bDSC_8498...

Or just rename the folders.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
Old November 4th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:18:34 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote:

Say you're making a slideshow. You get your pix from a variety of folders,
and each set of photos is numbered or labeled when you bring them in. The
computer will always arrange them numerically, alphabetically, by date, or
some scheme that is not what you want.

So the task is to put them on an electronic lightbox, rearrange them, and
then have them stay that way when imported into your show. Is there a handy
program that can do that? Or am I missing something in Windows that can
already do that?

Gary Eickmeier

My own system is to use the FastStone Viewer 4.2 (freeware) and to
create a new file with just the photos that will be in the slideshow.
FastStone allows you to rearrange the photos in any sequence you want
and to re-number the photos to retain that order. The slideshow is
then created from this file.

The original photos are retained with their original numbers in their
original file. The slideshow is made from copies of the originals.

I can't say enough in favor of the FastStone program. It's a great
viewer for thumbnails or full-screen. It allows tagging to for
sorting. I run through each new batch and tag the no-keepers for
deletion. I then tag the remaining images that need editing and view
tagged files only. FastStone will re-number according to any system
you want to devise or by date/time. Images can be easily moved to
another file or copied to another file. I have Lightroom, but prefer
FastStone for the first run-through of a new download of images.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old November 4th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
Say you're making a slideshow. You get your pix from a variety of
folders, and each set of photos is numbered or labeled when you bring
them in. The computer will always arrange them numerically,
alphabetically, by date, or some scheme that is not what you want.

So the task is to put them on an electronic lightbox, rearrange them,
and then have them stay that way when imported into your show. Is there
a handy program that can do that? Or am I missing something in Windows
that can already do that?

Gary Eickmeier

I wrote my own Slide-Show program to do that - you can drag and drop just
like on a light box.

http://www.satsignal.eu/software/imaging.html#SlideShow

Cheers,
David

Old November 4th 10, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

wrote:

[...]

Hey to Tony -

Well, I downloaded it and it seems to work! I have a lot to learn about it,
but got to go on a cruise right now, so will check it later.

Thanks,
Gary

Old November 4th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Use Photo Story 3 from Microsoft (free) to create your slide show. You can
order the slides any way you like, add transitions, add music, add narration
and pan and zoom.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...y/default.mspx

Gordo

Old November 4th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

On 11/4/2010 9:18 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Say you're making a slideshow. You get your pix from a variety of folders,
and each set of photos is numbered or labeled when you bring them in. The
computer will always arrange them numerically, alphabetically, by date, or
some scheme that is not what you want.

So the task is to put them on an electronic lightbox, rearrange them, and
then have them stay that way when imported into your show. Is there a handy
program that can do that? Or am I missing something in Windows that can
already do that?

Gary Eickmeier

If you want to permanently change the name of a group of files, like
inserting a sequence number, take a look at RenameMaster, a free program
Old November 4th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
om...
Slideshow failed because "vcl50.bpl was not found" Nothing in FAC about
it.

Gary Eickmeier

Perhaps you missed the text below the download URL:

Requirements:

If this is the first software from me you have downloaded, you will also
need to download my Runtime Library Bundle

It's at:
http://www.satsignal.eu/software/run...#LibraryBundle

The message is covered in the general FAQ - try Q02 at the top:
http://www.satsignal.eu/software/faq.htm

Cheers,
David

Old November 6th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ScotchBright[_2_]

wrote:

Say you're making a slideshow. You get your pix from a variety of folders,
and each set of photos is numbered or labeled when you bring them in. The
computer will always arrange them numerically, alphabetically, by date, or
some scheme that is not what you want.

So the task is to put them on an electronic lightbox, rearrange them, and
then have them stay that way when imported into your show. Is there a handy
program that can do that? Or am I missing something in Windows that can
already do that?

Gary Eickmeier

You could of course rename them alphabetically, and then "sort
by name", but if you don't want to bother doing that, then make sure
"auto arrange" is off, rearrange them, and click auto arrange on
again. It will work unless they're set to be sorted by some means, but
I think you have the option of not sorting them. In that case, I think
this will work.