Canon SX120-IS 10X - BLURRY on moving shots

Old September 19th 10, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Crash!

Default Canon SX120-IS 10X - BLURRY on moving shots

I saw this poor Walmart customer review of
the Canon PowerShot SX120-IS.

Wadda ya think?

===============

Will not take good pics of anything moving!
,
08/28/2010 By walmartjunkie25 ,
Tennessee
I tried this camera out and although it takes great looking pics
it will not take a pic of a moving object very well. I would try
to take pics of my kids cuz that's what I got it for....but all
the pics were blurry no matter what setting I had it on.
Pros: Fast shutter on burst mode, clear pics, zoom is nice very
clear (if it is a still object)
Cons: blurry pics if anything moves
if it wasn't for that Id keep this camera and take back my slr,
but I have to have something that will take pics of moving
objects.
So that's why I only gave it 3 stars.
Recommends this product? No
Age: 25 - 34
Gender: Female
Has owned product for: 2 - 7 weeks
Uses product: Every day

======

Canon PowerShot SX120-IS Black 10MP Digital Camera with 10x
Optical Zoom, 3" LCD, ISO 3200
Everything about the Canon PowerShot Digital Camera is easy. The
Smart Auto feature makes every shot picture-perfect. An
impressive 10x optical zoom with optical image stabilizer keeps
pictures sharp and steady. The Canon PowerShot also includes an
Easy Mode that makes shooting super simple, too.

Average Customer Rating:
4.512 out of 5 (172 Reviews)
158 of 172(92%)customers would recommend this product to a
friend.

* Smart Auto detects and analyzes faces, brightness,
colors, distance, and movement, then selects from 18 specially
defined settings
* Easy Mode automatically sets every camera control,
including the flash, to reduce blur and improve image quality
* Digic 4 image processor enables face detection, motion
detection and red-eye correction to give you better, more
true-to-life people shots
* Simply press the shutter button halfway down, and the Canon
Powershot Camera automatically pinpoints the faces in the scene
and chooses the ideal focus point
--------

I've never used any of that. Sounds spooky.
I avoid buying cars with power windows cuz they fail.
Thoughts, feelings, impressions or guesses?
Old September 19th 10, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 18:33:51 -0700, Crash! wrote:

I saw this poor Walmart customer review of
the Canon PowerShot SX120-IS.

Wadda ya think?

I think that neither she nor you should ever go near any camera. Both of
you would never learn how to operate any camera correctly.

Old September 19th 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

On 9/19/2010 6:50 AM, ransley wrote:
On Sep 18, 8:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

They dont know how to use a camera or read the manual, you dont
understand basic camera operation principles. The camera will do that
fine once you learn how it works and how to adjust it. Its can be as
idiot proof as as selecting a preset "scene" programed for movement,
but learning about how a camera functions will get you more out of it.

Wonder how long it will be before someone has the bright idea to
incorporate motion sensing in consumer cameras so that they can adjust
the program if there is significant subject movement?

Old September 19th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave Cohen

On 9/18/2010 9:33 PM, Crash! wrote:

[...]

I haven't tried moving subjects on my recently acquired Canon with IS. I
would first turn that off, and I wish Canon had made this a one button
thing like the face detect.
Old September 20th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Crash! wrote:

I saw this poor Walmart customer review of
the Canon PowerShot SX120-IS.

Wellll, the SX120-IS allows you full manual mode. So the
failure is behind the camera. Additionally insufficient
information was given. My guess is 'too far for the flash,
too long exposed for the movement'. Step nearer and let in
light.

I avoid buying cars with power windows cuz they fail.
Thoughts, feelings, impressions or guesses?

Avoid cars, they crash.

-Wolfgang
Old May 5th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Bashford

about: Canon SX120-IS 10X - BLURRY on moving shots;
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, dmaster wrote:

On Sep 19, 11:22*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Wonder how long it will be before someone has the bright idea to
incorporate motion sensing in consumer cameras so that they can adjust
the program if there is significant subject movement?

I'm pretty sure the "Intelligent Auto" mode on Panasonic cameras have
been just that for the last year. I suspect that equivalent models
from other makers probably do the same.

Dan (Woj...)

I have that SX120-IS 10X. I've put about
1500 pics thru it. Never seen that blurry
problem, but there are other minor problems.
Revolation: nothing is perfect except a manual rangefinder.
The autofocus can get confused. - & the manual focus
is not useful for snapshots, too slow, but the Ansel Adams
types might find it useful. However, several modes
show what the camera is autofocusing on before you shoot
and often a repress will be ok. There is also a focus
on center mode, like the first digicams had, for those
real complex focusing shots.
In dim light noflash it will go to 1/20 sec to blur...even in
easy mode I think...I wonder if that was her problem?
It does have a kids&pets mode which might have
faster shutters?

It has several programable modes which I
find useful for difficult shots, and
same with the full manual [with autofocus on] mode.
There is a continuous focus mode, but to save
wear I keep that off and focus at shutter pull.

I recently used CHDK to reset autoexposure to
1/30 sec for dim lighting. Solved that problem!

I love the camera! I tried some closeups
on a small matchhead size fly. Not only
were the large body hairs sharp, but the
subhairs on body and legs were clear enough!

My one complaint is that the AVI movies have
unspeakably large file sizes. The newer
SX130-IS 12X supposedly fixed that and added
HD too.

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.