pbs nature about hummingbird video

Old September 7th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
George Kerby

Default pbs nature about hummingbird video

On 9/7/10 11:16 AM, in article , "Tim
Conway" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=hjnc1kHMDDo

Thanks Tim. Very nice!

Old September 8th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Dave Cohen

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=hjnc1kHMDDo

Thanks Tim. Very nice!

It is, but you know George we have a forum member who could have done
all this with his long zoom p&s. Of course, unlike the supplied link, we
wouldn't get to see anything.
Old September 8th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Dave Cohen" wrote in message
On 9/7/2010 2:15 PM, George Kerby wrote:

On 9/7/10 11:16 AM, in article ,
"Tim
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=hjnc1kHMDDo

Thanks Tim. Very nice!

It is, but you know George we have a forum member who could have done all
this with his long zoom p&s. Of course, unlike the supplied link, we
wouldn't get to see anything.

g laugh out loud

Old September 8th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
George Kerby

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=hjnc1kHMDDo

Thanks Tim. Very nice!

It is, but you know George we have a forum member who could have done
all this with his long zoom p&s. Of course, unlike the supplied link, we
wouldn't get to see anything.

No! Wait! I think I found it's latest contribution here...

http://tinypic.com/r/166hieu/7

Old September 8th 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Superzooms Still Win

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:51:31 -0500, Allen wrote:

Dave Cohen wrote:
On 9/7/2010 2:15 PM, George Kerby wrote:

On 9/7/10 11:16 AM, in article
, "Tim
wrote:

Thanks Tim. Very nice!

It is, but you know George we have a forum member who could have done
all this with his long zoom p&s. Of course, unlike the supplied link, we
wouldn't get to see anything.

Extremely interesting! She mentioned the small size and high speed of
hummers, but failed to mention their extreme maneuverability. I still
remember the pictures that Crawford Greenwalt (a member of the DuPont
chemical family) made in Columbia and put into a book in the 1950s or
1960s; tremendous for their time but these are orders of magnitude more
interesting. I had an interesting experience in 1969--in very early
September we were driving south from the Grand Canyon and went through
several large groups of creatures flying together, I had thought they
were moths or perhaps butterflies, but when we went through the third
group I realized they were hummers (species unknown) starting their
annual non-stop migration to Central or South America. Another strange
thing (to me) was that in a class in a very large lecture hall
hummingbirds would occasionally come in. The instructor (a graduate of a
college that to pride in its machismo) was totally terrified every time
it happened. I don't understand why anyone would be frightened by such
small, jewel-like creatures.
Allen

Then you've never been around any drunk hummingbirds. I studied their
preferred nectar diet one summer. Putting out up to 10 identical feeders at
a time with various solutions of different sugars in different
concentrations under a variety of weather conditions. I know that natural
plant nectar has more nutrients in it than our refined sugar, so I wanted
to find a better and healthier diet for them. I found one combination of
brown and refined sugars they preferred above all others. Then sent my
findings into the small-animal dept. of a university after they told me
nobody had ever done such a study. My improved nectar recipe can be found
many places today.

[Improved Hummingbird Nectar Recipe (designed by hummingbirds): Sugar-mix =
2 parts light brown sugar (packed) to 1 part refined sugar (by volume
measure, not by weight). Nectar = 1 part sugar-mix to 3 to 5 parts water
(again, volume measure). The reason you need to vary the nectar's
concentration is that they prefer a 1:3 sugar:water ratio on cold (60º F.)
damp and rainy days (I live where there are even ice-storms during their
spring arrival) when they need more energy, and a 1:5 sugar:water ratio on
very hot (85º-90º F.) dry days, when they need more fluids than energy
replenishment. If you put out a preferred ratio for cold damp days on a hot
dry day they won't even go near it, the converse also being true. While
they really prefer a nectar of only light-brown sugar the best, I found it
ferments too fast. Adding the refined sugar slows this down a bit and makes
it a more manageable situation for provider and consumer. Having to change
and sterilize feeders less often. During my studies it was not uncommon to
have to go through almost a gallon of nectar solutions per day. However, if
you have the ambition to stay on top of preventing fermentation, then
forego adding the refined sugar to the above recipe and use light-brown
sugar only, checking it often for fermentation on warmer days. BTW: NO FOOD
COLORING. It's not necessary and harmful to them. A red feeder is all you
need. My control-feeders were clear bottles with clear tubes leading to a
small "flower" cut out of red plastic. They still found them just fine by
that one little red-flower cut-out.]

But ... what they actually enjoyed most from my
preferred-nectar-experiments was when dark-brown sugar (only) would
ferment. (They didn't care for it in any ratio unfermented.) Due to it
being so nutrient rich it could ferment in a matter of hours in warm
sunlight. When that happened there was no getting them away from the
fermented nectar. It's all they would drink. Not going near any of the
other solutions set out for them at the same time. It's quite unnerving
when standing in the middle of a yard full of ~40 drunk hummingbirds
buzzing you at top speed with those long sharp beaks. Knowing they should
not be flying anything, let alone driving anywhere if they could. I thought
to myself, if only they had keys you could take away from them at times
like that.

As a treat I will now sometimes put out a nectar of dark-brown sugar on a
warm sunny day and let it ferment for them. But only rarely. And when I do
I am sure to stay indoors watching their drunk antics safely through a
window. An intentionally dirtied window so they won't smash into it. But
there's still the occasional "drunk's thump". Their usually precise flight
becomes just as wobbly as any drunk trying to walk. I've yet to see any
drunk hummingbird actually hurt itself or others though. Perhaps they know
better than humans when they've had enough for just the right buzz.

True stuff. I know how you ignorant city-boys like to pretend that what
I've done and witnessed is imaginary. That's what you get for living such
insulated and inexperienced lives, of your own choosing.