Web Gallery Software

Old August 9th 10, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_5_]

Default Web Gallery Software

"Mike Warren" wrote in message
I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

These are the main things I'm after:

1/ Usable on my own web site.

2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.

3/ Low cost.

4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.

5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
non-negotiable.

6/ Fast.

7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.

8/ Configurable themes and colours.

9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
and have set up a test gallery to play with it:

http://mike-warren.net/test

It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.

I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
the software used.

Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.

So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005. :-)

--
- Mike

Do you intend to host the site yourself or have it hosted on a commercial
server?

Old August 9th 10, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Warren

N wrote:

Do you intend to host the site yourself or have it hosted on a commercial
server?

It's a hosted server with ixwebhosting.com.

--
- Mike
Old August 9th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:

I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

These are the main things I'm after:

1/ Usable on my own web site.

2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in
existence.

3/ Low cost.

4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can
control her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.

5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one
is non-negotiable.

6/ Fast.

7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.

8/ Configurable themes and colours.

9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as your
wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code to
your favorite theme.

http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2ownload

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old August 9th 10, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:07:42 +0200, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

[...]

And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries", but
it doesn't list which ones. My hoster (http://www.flexwebhosting.com,
the site is in Dutch only) has Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to
do was tick a checkbox to put it on my site.

http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old August 9th 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Warren

Robert Spanjaard wrote:

Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as
your wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code
to your favorite theme.

http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2ownload

And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries", but
it doesn't list which ones. My hoster (http://www.flexwebhosting.com,
the site is in Dutch only) has Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to
do was tick a checkbox to put it on my site.

http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

I've had both Gallery and Gallery2 working on my site. I must have missed
the auto sizing themes on G2. I don't remember if there was anything else
I didn't like about G2, so I'll revisit it.

Thanks.

--
- Mike
Old August 9th 10, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:27:36 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:

Robert Spanjaard wrote:

[...]

I know for sure that the Hybrid theme supports it, as I just tried it in
the demo on their site.

http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2:Themes:hybrid

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old August 9th 10, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 08 Aug 2010 in rec.photo.digital, Mike Warren wrote:

I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

These are the main things I'm after:

.... etc

You're on an Apache server, so you probably have PHP available. Two PHP
photo galleries are Singapore (http://www.sgal.org/) and Coppermine
(http://coppermine-gallery.net/). They both require a little setup,
though not much, and should offer most if not all of your requirements,
including that they're both GPLed*.

Otherwise do a web search for 'php photo gallery'.

* http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old August 9th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
"Mike Warren" wrote:

I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

Photoshop Elements does a pretty good job.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
Old August 9th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

On 8/8/2010 11:40 PM, Mike Warren wrote:
tony cooper wrote:

To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

LOL! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

If that gorgeous looking gal is your wife, and the guy with the beard is
you, be careful who replaces what.
Seriously, I can't help with software suggestions, but I did enjoy
browsing your site, you have some nice pics there. Good luck with your
search.
Old August 10th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Warren

tony cooper wrote:

To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

LOL! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

If that gorgeous looking gal is your wife, and the guy with the beard is
you, be careful who replaces what.

No. There are no pictures of me or my wife on my web site.

Seriously, I can't help with software suggestions, but I did enjoy
browsing your site, you have some nice pics there. Good luck with your
search.

Thanks. :-)

--
- Mike