below $1000 film vs digital

Old June 14th 04, 12:38 PM
Sabineellen

Default below $1000 film vs digital

The fling-and-pray that is darkroom work does
not compare to the precision and variety of edits that can be made by
digital.

I bet to respectfully disagree.

If you want precision then film is the only way that's ***unadulterated*** by
processing software and human edits.

Have you seen how digital captures lights in mist?

Go to usefilm and find some examples, even from the fabled $**** digital
cameras.

There is no question that digital is the most direct path from what you saw
as you looked through the viewfinder to a finished print to hang on a wall.

Direct in terms of speed?

I guess your use of the word "precision" suggests otherwise. You have a lens
and photochemically reactive film, what's more *direct* than that?

I can only suspect you're not serious.
Old June 14th 04, 01:38 PM
Mark Weaver

"Stacey" wrote in message
Mark Weaver wrote:

Or maybe you just hang out in
the shallower end of the gene pool

I was wondering how long it would be before personal insults started..

Do humorlessness and film advocacy go together (he says as he ducks)?

This is in contrast to the photos from my childhood of which there is
still only one copy in boxes at my folks' house -- they won't be mine
until both
my parents are gone

Why because you can't scan them?

Because scanning is a huge, time-consuming job and I'm not close yet to
finishing the scanning of my own pre-digital negatives.

The great thing about digital images is that they are so much more

usable,
copyable, and shareable.

See above. You act like only one print can be made from a negative or

prints
can't be scanned and copied. And yes I've scanned and reprinted old prints
and ussually they can be made to look better than the original.

Yes, negatives and prints can be digitized and, once that is done, it is
easy to share them (either digitally or by making more prints). But
scanning is slow and tedious. In contrast--making copies of image that are
digitial in the first place is extremely fast, cheap, and easy and, so is
much more likely to happen.

Mark

--

Stacey

Old June 14th 04, 02:23 PM
Sabineellen

But
scanning is slow and tedious.

are you scanning individual prints or film strips?
Old June 14th 04, 05:17 PM
Alan Browne

Mark Weaver wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message

Mark Weaver wrote:

[...]

--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 14th 04, 05:27 PM
Alan Browne

Mark Weaver wrote:

Yes, negatives and prints can be digitized and, once that is done, it is
easy to share them (either digitally or by making more prints). But
scanning is slow and tedious. In contrast--making copies of image that are
digitial in the first place is extremely fast, cheap, and easy and, so is
much more likely to happen.

Where the quality of digital is up to the end use of the image,
then that convenience is of course dominant. The higher end
digital cameras certainly can be used for 95% of photography.
But there remain uses of film images that digital can't yet
match, and so film thrives. There are the digital holdouts who
stick to film for a variety of reasons, which include
stubborness, tradition, investment, etc, ad nauseum (as too often
debated in these groups).

If one were to scan 20 years worth of negatives and slides, it
would be tedious at best. But if he selects the images really
worth scanning, it shouldn't be so bad.

Sharing? A friend returned from a trip to Corsica recently with
nearly 600 images on her P&S digital camera. I 'donated'
webspace to her (360MB) to gen links and send around... that is
two weeks worth of images. I've urged her to cut it down to,
say, 100 images, but to date she hasn't dug in to do it. The
effort of downselecting is in fact made worse due to her
prolifigate rate of image production. I've looked at many, and
as vacation snaps go, many are very well composed and interesting
.... but not 600 worth.

IOW, there has been an exchange of tedium. One set of work
abandoned and a new set of work created.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 14th 04, 05:40 PM
bagal

Stacey - don't let the Newgroup Tantrum Troopers get to you

If you prefer fim based media - hey, it is fine with me

das B

"Stacey" wrote in message
Mark Weaver wrote:

Or maybe you just hang out in
the shallower end of the gene pool

I was wondering how long it would be before personal insults started..

This is in contrast to the photos from my childhood of which there is
still only one copy in boxes at my folks' house -- they won't be mine
until both
my parents are gone

Why because you can't scan them?

My 94-year-old grandfather
still has all his photos...including the photos of my mother's
childhood--most of which I've never seen.

Why because they can't be scanned?

Old June 15th 04, 01:17 AM
Stacey

MikeWhy wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
And yes I've scanned and reprinted old prints
and ussually they can be made to look better than the original.

And around we go again... I lose track from moment to moment of who is
pro-digital, and who is clinging by bleeding fingernails to fondly held
beliefs.

How about the people who are neither? :-)

Yes, Stacey, this of course is the major strength of digital. The
price of admission, and the cost and pain of archiving, are made more than
worthwhile by the ease of correcting and manipulating an imperfectly
captured image, whether it was partly photochemical or entirely digital.

Which is why I'm still shooting film. I trust it for storing the image and I
have the -option- of digitizing it with no loss of quality, in fact with MF
it's higher quality. If the digital file gets "lost" I still have the
negatives. The only downside is I have to buy film that I can see. I
already own plenty of Medformat stuff so I see no reason to jump ship to
try to save film costs.

--

Stacey
Old June 15th 04, 01:25 AM
Stacey

Mark Weaver wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message

This is in contrast to the photos from my childhood of which there is
still only one copy in boxes at my folks' house -- they won't be mine
until both
my parents are gone

Why because you can't scan them?

Because scanning is a huge, time-consuming job and I'm not close yet to
finishing the scanning of my own pre-digital negatives.

Come on, I've scanned a BUNCH of prints and a good scanner can scan a print
right on the money 95% of the time in auto mode, plenty good enough to copy
some family snapshots.

The great thing about digital images is that they are so much more

usable,
copyable, and shareable.

See above. You act like only one print can be made from a negative or

prints
can't be scanned and copied. And yes I've scanned and reprinted old
prints and ussually they can be made to look better than the original.

Yes, negatives and prints can be digitized and, once that is done, it is
easy to share them (either digitally or by making more prints). But
scanning is slow and tedious.

So you've never gotten "double prints"? You act like only one print can be
made from a negative or reprints are a major hassle. If these prints your
parents have are important, it couldn't take more than a night to scan them
and give them back. Then you have analog and digital copies instead of just
one type.
--

Stacey
Old June 15th 04, 07:13 AM
MikeWhy

"Stacey" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
And yes I've scanned and reprinted old prints
and ussually they can be made to look better than the original.

And around we go again... I lose track from moment to moment of who is
pro-digital, and who is clinging by bleeding fingernails to fondly held
beliefs.

How about the people who are neither? :-)

Thank you for that. I had forgotten the moderate, reasonable view in my
haste to belittle the strongly polarized.