Can Smart Media cards be repaired?

Old August 17th 04, 01:48 PM
Mike O'sullivan

Thanks, useful info. I'll bookmark it for the future.

Old August 17th 04, 01:48 PM
Mike O'sullivan

Thanks, useful info. I'll bookmark it for the future.

Old August 17th 04, 01:48 PM
Mike O'sullivan

Thanks, useful info. I'll bookmark it for the future.

Old August 17th 04, 02:37 PM
Bob Fusillo

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
When I put in the Smart Media card the camera does nothing but blink

"81"
over and over. It will not work, it will not format, it will not read on

card reader. Can it be repaired? Where? (I see Olympus sells, on their

Ebay
site, what they call refurbished xd cards. Are they really?)

From an earlier post of mine (which refers to recovering photos off the
card; one of the other posters here mentions using the Zio card reader,

with
formatting utility, to repair a dead one)-

I had a SmartMedia card "go bad" on me on a recent trip to France, after
having taken quite a number of photos I really didn't want to have go

away.
I had another smaller backup card which I used, thinking that maybe, when

got home, I might be able to recover the images on the card that went bad.

I should mention that the "bad" card, when inserted into the camera, said

it
needed to be formatted.

Tonight I did a quick Google search and came upon something called "Zero
Assumption Recovery" utility, and gave it a try. Voila, even though my
desktop computer also said the card required formatting, this utility read
everything on the card and offloaded it to a file on my hard drive. Life

is
good!

Please note this utility should work well on any type of memory card that
can be seen as a drive on your computer (SmartMedia, MMC, CF, etc).
Basically, anything you have a card reader for.

This is freeware, by the way, although you can buy a more-capable version
for $99. But for my case, the freeware utility did everything I needed.

It
may be found here-

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

Hope this is helpful to others!

(For google purposes, I'm going to toss some stuff in here that might help
others to find this message, since I've seen many others looking for
something like this in the past-)

Smartmedia utility
Corrupt smartmedia
Smartmedia file recovery

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 17th 04, 02:39 PM
Bob Fusillo

Thanks for the thoughts. But no one seems to address my question -- all the
advice is about recovering files. I want to know if an apparently damaged
card can be repaired for future use.
rjf

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
When I put in the Smart Media card the camera does nothing but blink

"81"
over and over. It will not work, it will not format, it will not read on

card reader. Can it be repaired? Where? (I see Olympus sells, on their

Ebay
site, what they call refurbished xd cards. Are they really?)

From an earlier post of mine (which refers to recovering photos off the

Old August 17th 04, 10:40 PM
Vidar Grønvold

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:06:00 +0800, nesredep egrob Long.
-31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40 wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:37:51 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
wrote:

Google for the information but yes...in some cases using some readers with
the right software. Its been a long while since I had to do it so the memory
of details is gone...but there are some readers that, with software
downloaded from their site, can low-level format a SmartMedia card.

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message
When I put in the Smart Media card the camera does nothing but blink "81"
over and over. It will not work, it will not format, it will not read on a
card reader. Can it be repaired? Where? (I see Olympus sells, on their

Ebay
site, what they call refurbished xd cards. Are they really?)
rjf

and the reader is called Zio - I have repaired lots.

It looks the same as the Imation FlashGo
http://www.imation.com/en_US/product...I d=IM_PRD334
There is a link to the firmware update which give formatting
ability.

--
regards
Vidar Grønvold

Old August 18th 04, 01:31 AM
nesredep egrob

It can be done if you have a Hex Editor and some fundamental knowledge which
will make it usefull. If so, I have a set of zip files that I have generated
from my cards and removed from the internet as it seemed that they were never
used - at least I never got a thank you from anyone.

If I get to know the size of the card I can email a zip file which will unzip to
become the content of a card - you then use the HexEditor to write the
information to the card.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~borge

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:39:49 GMT, "Bob Fusillo" wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts. But no one seems to address my question -- all the
advice is about recovering files. I want to know if an apparently damaged
card can be repaired for future use.
rjf

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
om...
When I put in the Smart Media card the camera does nothing but blink

"81"
over and over. It will not work, it will not format, it will not read on

card reader. Can it be repaired? Where? (I see Olympus sells, on their

Ebay
site, what they call refurbished xd cards. Are they really?)

From an earlier post of mine (which refers to recovering photos off the