What exposure mode do you shoot in.

Old December 7th 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default What exposure mode do you shoot in.

John P Sheehy writes ...

I shoot wildlife at ISO 1600, and still get heavy under-exposure
with the lens wide-open in Tv mode, set to the slowest
hand-holdable shutter speed, even with IS

I took around 12,000 images of wildlife last year and probably 11,900
were shot at ISO 200-320 with just a few at 800, typically birds in
flight late in the day. Never at 1600. Can you show us some of the
types of shots you take where 1600 is required? How slow is your lens?

Had I set the camera to Av mode, I would have unusably blurred images.

I don't understand this comment. "with the lens wide-open in Tv mode"
gives you the same exposure as using Av mode with the lens set wide
open.

You must shoot wildlife in bright light

They certainly look better in good light, but even in low contrast
overcast light (like say five days of rain in Alaska photographing
brown bears) I never felt I needed ISO 1600.

Bill

Old December 7th 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

What do you mean, you don't use a mode? Manual?
Manual will lose a lot of action shots. Ever track an
animal moving into the shade? You may only have a fraction
of a second to get a particular action shot. Manual is too
slow for action.

Roger

Manual might not be as fast as "program" shooting but it would or rather
could be more accurate. I can adjust a stop if I feel I need it as a
critter walks into the shade and I can do it in a hurry. I have had the same
cameras hanging around my neck for years and decades and we have a good
relationship. What do you think photographers did before "modes" and
"programs" and auto focus? And they took some mighty fine photos.

I guess, I do what works for me and has worked for 25 years.

F1

Old December 8th 05, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

In message 587d17a8f6ad0@uwe,
"Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com" u15199@uwe wrote:

Manual might not be as fast as "program" shooting but it would or rather
could be more accurate. I can adjust a stop if I feel I need it as a
critter walks into the shade and I can do it in a hurry.

I can adjust a stop of EC if the light balance in the image changes,
too.

Really, though, you replied to me when I was writing in a context of
insufficient light, where there was always too little light for a proper
exposure at ISO 1600. I mentioned this as a situation in which Av mode
is fairly useless, and Tv is better. I did not say that manual couldn't
be better in some circumstances. I use manual frequently, when the
lighting is constant. I was out in the snow the other day, under an
over-cast sky and I had the camera set to manual, and made fine
adjustments as it got closer to dusk. The sky and the ground were
nearly identical in intensity that day. No matter how much of the scene
was the lake's surface; no matter how much was sky, snow, or tree bark,
all the exposures were the same; the sky was just shy of clipping the
RAW data.

I have had the same
cameras hanging around my neck for years and decades and we have a good
relationship. What do you think photographers did before "modes" and
"programs" and auto focus? And they took some mighty fine photos.

Yes, but who knows how many "mighty finer" pictures they could have
taken with different approaches or different equipment!

I guess, I do what works for me and has worked for 25 years.

There is almost always a better way.

--

John P Sheehy

Old December 8th 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

In message .com,
"Bill Hilton" wrote:

John P Sheehy writes ...

I shoot wildlife at ISO 1600, and still get heavy under-exposure
with the lens wide-open in Tv mode, set to the slowest
hand-holdable shutter speed, even with IS

I took around 12,000 images of wildlife last year and probably 11,900
were shot at ISO 200-320 with just a few at 800, typically birds in
flight late in the day. Never at 1600. Can you show us some of the
types of shots you take where 1600 is required? How slow is your lens?

Slow enough that I need to shoot at 1600. You don't trust me?

Had I set the camera to Av mode, I would have unusably blurred images.

I don't understand this comment. "with the lens wide-open in Tv mode"
gives you the same exposure as using Av mode with the lens set wide
open.

I was writing about situations in which ISO 1600 still results in
under-exposure. Av Mode, in such cases, will result in blur. Tv mode
will result in some under-exposure. Manual mode will result in either,
depending upon your settings.

You must shoot wildlife in bright light

They certainly look better in good light, but even in low contrast
overcast light (like say five days of rain in Alaska photographing
brown bears) I never felt I needed ISO 1600.

That's because you decided to do wildlife photography in relatively high
light. When I do that, I am more likely to do Av or manual.
--

John P Sheehy

Old December 8th 05, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com wrote:

Manual might not be as fast as "program" shooting but it would or rather
could be more accurate. I can adjust a stop if I feel I need it as a
critter walks into the shade and I can do it in a hurry.

All the canon cameras I use (dslrs as well as 35mm film) have exposure
compensation dials, so it is a small fraction of a second to do
compensation in aperture and shutter priority modes. So you have
complete control of the system. For example, in aperture priority
mode. you choose the aperture, the camera reads the light and sets
the shutter, and you can over ride with the exposure compensation
dial--all in a fraction of a second. In many situations, in my
experience, you can dial in compensation, e.g. meter -1/3 stop,
and that will work even as light conditions change, thus you concentrate
on the subject, not on your meter. Example: fading light near sunset:
the subject and exposure compensation is constant, but light
is dropping. In manual mode, you would need to constantly adjust
exposure, but in aperture priority mode, you just shoot as desired.
In my experience this situation is more common than the need to
use manual mode. I do use manual mode, but perhaps only 10%
of the time.

I have had the same
cameras hanging around my neck for years and decades and we have a good
relationship. What do you think photographers did before "modes" and
"programs" and auto focus? And they took some mighty fine photos.

I guess, I do what works for me and has worked for 25 years.

Yes. My 25-year old cameras don't meter very well compared to
modern cameras. Even my 15-year old cameras don't. Modern
systems are very impressive.

Roger
Old December 8th 05, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Norm Dresner wrote:

Most of the later Nikon's (N75, N90, F100, D50, D70) have a program-mode
which can be varied with the "command dial" to any equivalent exposure
just by twirling it. I spend most of the time in P-mode but look at
every exposure and modify it as necessary. I find that most of the time
I can't stay in either S- or A-modes because the things I'm shooting are
so varied.

Norm

Norm,
I do not understand. In aperture or shutter priority modes, one has
complete control of the settings: you choose the exact aperture or
shutter, and the camera choose the other. You then use the compensation
dial to modify the cameras "best exposure." In P mode, the camera
chooses the aperture and shutter based on some pre-programmed
table. You have compensation control, but only over a very
narrow range compared to all apertures and shutter speeds, and
the compensation modifies both aperture and shutter according
to a formula for which you do not have control.

So aperture or shutter priority modes have the most flexibility,
unequaled by any other mode, and only surpassed by full manual.
At least this is the way it is on canon film and dslrs.

Roger
Old December 8th 05, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Yes. My 25-year old cameras don't meter very well compared to

modern cameras. Even my 15-year old cameras don't. Modern
systems are very impressive.

Roger

That is debatable.

F1

Old December 8th 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

In message 58812917e60c0@uwe,
"Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com" u15199@uwe wrote:

wrote:

Look at my user name: Canon F1.

Hi, Canon F1.

This is the kind of equipment I use and
have used for years. I like it that way and I really don't have a choice but
to shoot in "manual" as my camera knows no other "mode". I am just saying I
have never felt handicapped in anyway or at any time shooting manual.

However, you did imply that people are handicapped using "modes".

I have an Elan IIE that still gets shot in manual mode when I do use it as it
is habit and I find it better and more trustworthy than any programable mode.
My old Canon A 1 is programable as any digital camera today other than it is
manual focus and still I shoot it manual.

I beleive in freedom to shoot photos as one likes.

Me too.

I just shoot the old
equipment and I get great results. It is my way.

That's nice.

I am not a pro
photographer but I wonder what that really means.

"Pro" means, to me, an occupation, with some time in. It tells me
nothing about a person's specific knowledge or skills, just that they
probably have a good working subset.

I sell some photos locally
on the side.

Please don't tell me there is a better way or my photos are less.

You're reading connotations into my statements that are not intended. I
was not demeaning your work. You could be one of the most interesting
photographers in the world, and still have relatively counter-productive
attitudes or methods. There is always room for improvement, as there is
no ceiling.

If I get
my web site up and running, you can look for yourself.

I won't see all the shots that were never taken, though, because you
didn't have time to adjust the settings, or because your film wasn't
sensitive enough.

You always see the edited story of other people's photography.

Because someone has a substantial body of good work, it does *not* mean
that this happened *because* of their specific methods or philosophies
(although it may be an influence in exactly what their output
specifically is).

--

John P Sheehy