travel warning: TSA took my allen wrenches

Old December 18th 04, 04:10 PM

Default travel warning: TSA took my allen wrenches

About two weeks ago I left for Hawaii from the
Denver airport. I was carrying a small photo backpack
with my usual gear, including 2 small allen wrenches
for the screws on my Wimberly mounting plates.
These are small, ~1 mm and ~2 mm, allen wrenches.
I've carried these for a couple of years without a
problem. I was flagged for carrying a potential
weapon, my bag went through secondary screening, including
taking it all apart to find the wrenches.
In discussing the issue with TSA, they said there is a
"New" rule that says no tools of any kind are allowed as
carry-on. A TSA guy said you could poke someone with
these wrenches. I pointed out how much smaller and
less effective small allen wrenches were than keys
or nail clippers (which are allowed). His answer was
that the higher ups know more than we do, and the
allen wrenches were banned.

So don't take any tools on board any more.

Roger

Old December 18th 04, 04:42 PM
wayne

Denver TSA has always been pretty lame I have a small razor knife that is
the size of a key it has gone thru the screenings dozens of time in my
carryon and in the little tray for keys. However when I tried to use an
expired passport for an ID they said no.
http://custom-studios.com/keytags.htm. I checked the TSA site and could not
find anything as far as ID is concerned

Wayne

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...

Old December 18th 04, 06:30 PM
C J Campbell

[...]

That is right, the prohibited items list (conveniently available in .pdf
format on the TSA web site) includes tools, but specifically says nail
clippers and safety razors are allowed.

Furthermore, if you attempt to bring Allen wrenches to a checkpoint again,
you can be fined $250 - $1500, because now you are supposed to know better;
you have been flagged. Do it again and they will assume it is intentional.

Perhaps Homeland Security believes that the best way to protect US citizens
is to lock them up on any pretext possible in order to keep them out of
harm's way.

I am firmly convinced that TSA is the best possible argument for learning to
fly. You can carry anything you want on your own airplane.

Old December 18th 04, 06:50 PM
Dave Fouchey

I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
want...

Dave

Old December 18th 04, 07:06 PM
Bill Hilton

From: Dave Fouchey

I drive, saves an awful lot of trouble and I get to carry anything I
want...

Roger would have had a hard time driving to Hawaii though ...
Old December 18th 04, 07:06 PM
Bill Hilton

From: Dave Fouchey