LF film processing question! Off Topic here but the LF people are here so here goes!

Old September 21st 04, 02:32 AM
Captain Blammo

My reason--I've always used Rotary Processing for my B&W 4x5, 8x10 and
11x14 negs.) and never tried tray processing! Have I missed something?

I've seen some horrible effects caused by rotary development (Not that I
know very much). Apparently they don't show up too often, but in a situation
with something like a dark pole against a light sky, the same bit of
developer runs up the whole length of the pole, doing almost no work as the
barrel rotates, then hits the sky and develops it extra strongly, producing
something that looks like a light flame coming off the top of the pole when
you print it.

Again, I'm far from an expert, but I imagine that all the edge effects
caused by developer running across areas of different density will be
heavily biased in only the direction of barrel rotation, and sometimes be
too strong. In a tray, since it all moves a bit more randomly, I'd expect
the edge effects not to be so pronounced, but better distributed (a little
bit of lighter sky all around the pole would make the edge appear sharper, a
giant light flame coming out of the top is a bit much).

Still, I've also seen bajillions of very awesome pictures that used rotary
development, made by people who are far better and more experienced than me,
and who use it for everything. If they don't care (because they do know),
then it can't be that much of a problem.

Ewan

Old September 21st 04, 03:13 AM
Jos. Burke

Default LF film processing question! Off Topic here but the LF people are here so here goes!

I was browsing an article (at the bookstore-I didn't buy it but just
browsed!)) in Photo Techniques regarding Technical Pan sheet film in
particular (as well as Pyro vs. Rodinal vs. X-Tol) but my interest was the
reference to tray developed negatives being sharper than rotary type due to
edge effect in processing in the tray and lack of via rotary (Jobo). Anyone
here care to elaborate on their experience!!
My reason--I've always used Rotary Processing for my B&W 4x5, 8x10 and
11x14 negs.) and never tried tray processing! Have I missed something?
J Burke

Old September 21st 04, 04:52 AM
Frank Pittel

Jos. Burke wrote:
: I was browsing an article (at the bookstore-I didn't buy it but just
: browsed!)) in Photo Techniques regarding Technical Pan sheet film in
: particular (as well as Pyro vs. Rodinal vs. X-Tol) but my interest was the
: reference to tray developed negatives being sharper than rotary type due to
: edge effect in processing in the tray and lack of via rotary (Jobo). Anyone
: here care to elaborate on their experience!!
: My reason--I've always used Rotary Processing for my B&W 4x5, 8x10 and
: 11x14 negs.) and never tried tray processing! Have I missed something?
: J Burke

I worried about that when I started using my Jobo. I never noticed any issues
with sharpness. The negatives I get from my Jobo are every bit as what I got
when using stainless tanks for roll film and a yankee tank for 4x5.

-------------------

Old September 21st 04, 12:38 PM
jjs

"Jos. Burke" wrote in message
.. .
I was browsing an article (at the bookstore-I didn't buy it but just
browsed!)) in Photo Techniques regarding Technical Pan sheet film in
particular (as well as Pyro vs. Rodinal vs. X-Tol) but my interest was the
reference to tray developed negatives being sharper than rotary type due
edge effect in processing in the tray and lack of via rotary (Jobo).
Anyone
here care to elaborate on their experience!!

I cannot comment upon rotary development in particular, but in my humble
experience, so-called 'edge effect' was only visible through a loupe and
never survived enlargement.

Old September 21st 04, 01:10 PM
Nick Zentena

Jos. Burke wrote:
I was browsing an article (at the bookstore-I didn't buy it but just
browsed!)) in Photo Techniques regarding Technical Pan sheet film in
particular (as well as Pyro vs. Rodinal vs. X-Tol) but my interest was the
reference to tray developed negatives being sharper than rotary type due to
edge effect in processing in the tray and lack of via rotary (Jobo). Anyone
here care to elaborate on their experience!!

Tray processing sure isn't stand development either. Those sheets need to
stay in motion. Just like a rotary tank. No?

Nick