The Aftermath

Old July 10th 16, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default The Aftermath

This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

Savageduck

Old July 10th 16, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 20:50:05 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

It will be interesting to see what it looks like this time next year.

Eric Stevens
Old July 10th 16, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

It will be interesting to see what it looks like this time next year.

If we get any rain this Winter, this time next year it should be green
starting to dry to golden brown for Summer.

Savageduck

Old July 10th 16, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

It will be interesting to see what it looks like this time next year.

If we get any rain this Winter, this time next year it should be green
starting to dry to golden brown for Summer.

.... and the trees?

Eric Stevens
Old July 10th 16, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

It will be interesting to see what it looks like this time next year.

If we get any rain this Winter, this time next year it should be green
starting to dry to golden brown for Summer.

... and the trees?

Unless they are totally charred the California Live Oaks are pretty
resilient. They don't burn like conifers which are loaded with fuel.

Savageduck

Old July 10th 16, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:46:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"

says...

wrote:

This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

It will be interesting to see what it looks like this time next year.

If we get any rain this Winter, this time next year it should be green
starting to dry to golden brown for Summer.

... and the trees?

Unless they are totally charred the California Live Oaks are pretty
resilient. They don't burn like conifers which are loaded with fuel.

Depends on the conifer. Some conifers are pyrophytic--they need fire to
reproduce.

All that suggests that fires are part of the natural cycle. In which
case its better to have more frequent and smaller than to let the fuel
accumulate to feed larger fires. This is much the same as fires in
Australia. Fires are natural and we have to live with them. Putting
them off and letting the fuel burden accumulate just makes for bigger
fires when they inevitably occur.

Eric Stevens
Old July 10th 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/9/2016 11:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:
This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

Glad you and you house are safe.From what I read, the vegetation will
regenerate, if floods don't wash the soil away before the roots grow in.
--
PeterN
Old July 10th 16, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-07-10 20:25:25 +0000, PeterN said:

On 7/9/2016 11:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:
This is what our neighborhood looks like after our fire.
https://db.tt/VHYNod4U
https://db.tt/l9XTaSIV

Glad you and you house are safe.From what I read, the vegetation will
regenerate, if floods don't wash the soil away before the roots grow in.

Floods! In my corner of California we would be happy with any rain.

Savageduck

Old July 11th 16, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

[...]

And fires are one of the things which helps to hold oxygen levels down
to the present value.
Old July 11th 16, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 7/10/16 PDT 1:34 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:46:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Unless they are totally charred the California Live Oaks are pretty
resilient. They don't burn like conifers which are loaded with fuel.

Depends on the conifer. Some conifers are pyrophytic--they need fire to
reproduce.

All that suggests that fires are part of the natural cycle. In which
case its better to have more frequent and smaller than to let the fuel
accumulate to feed larger fires. This is much the same as fires in
Australia. Fires are natural and we have to live with them. Putting
them off and letting the fuel burden accumulate just makes for bigger
fires when they inevitably occur.

The US Forest Service subscribes to that knowledge, at least in some
areas. Carrying it out, though, is another matter. Some people freak
out at the thought of any flame anywhere. Plus those damn trees we
imported from down under are very flammable when dry.