New to 4x5

Old July 31st 04, 03:20 AM
Thom

Default New to 4x5

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:48:28 GMT, PGG
wrote:

Thanks for the insights! I hope to start shooting 4x5 this weekend. Just
waiting for the film (Arista.EDU 400) to arrive.

I'm told Arista is made by Ilford and EDU is eastern Europe (Begger?)
any truth to that?

THOM

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 05:46:52 -0700, Sly D. Skeez wrote:

There have been a number of posts from people new to 4x5 on the group.
About 5 years ago, I made the switch from mostly 120 film to 4x5 film,
and here's a few comments.

-When I shot my first few 4x5 transparencies and threw them on the
light table, that's what hooked me. Man, the size of 4x5 compared to a
6x6 is just amazing. I'm scared to death to shoot 8x10, because my
legs just aren't strong enough, and my wallet isn't big enough to
afford 8x10.

-When I compose on the ground glass, it feels like working in the
darkroom with an easel. The advantage of 4x5 is that you can play
with the plane of focus and be more creative with composition while
maintaining focus. The result is that I'm really interested to see
every 4x5 that I shoot, while I cast aside a number of 6x6 frames with
hardly a look, and quite frankly, I don't have much interest in my 35
work.

-Movements. A little dab'l do ya. Even though my camera has generous
movements, and I normally use some movement on every shot, I don't use
much. If I was looking for a new camera, I wouldn't be too concerned
about the specs. That said, I started with a Speed Graphic and I found
that camera really limiting.

-If you haven't heard of 'em, be sure to check out
readyloads/quickloads.

Jay Wenner

Old July 31st 04, 08:56 PM
Neil Purling

I have a 4x5 Crown Graphic, which is fun up to a point but it really is a
Press camera and only has very limited movement. In its favout it is easier
to carry around if you are backpacking.

The Forte 400 is marketed as Classic Pan un the UK and I have used it
myself.
Well, grain is hardly ever going to be a problem with 4x5 work unless you
plan on making billboard size enlargements.

Practically, the Hungarian 400 ASA needs a longer developement time. Look at
the time for Ilford HP5 with your favourite brew and increase the time by
30%.
On the other end of the scale I also used some EFKE PL25. Its wonderfully
sharp.
For that take the time for Ilford Pan F and cut by 25% when rating at 25ASA.

Just shoot some film and enjoy yourself. you'll lean a hell of a lot. I have
refined my developing technique from developing 4x5 sheet film because I was
getting a better tonal range.