What is a good cd/dvd photo inkjet printer? Just for home use.

Old December 3rd 05, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default What is a good cd/dvd photo inkjet printer? Just for home use.

I do some burner of dvd's and cd's and would like a way to label them.
Labels cause some problems. I have seen inkjets that will print on
cd/dvd but I no nothing about it. Is the end result satisfactory? Does
it last? I need a good photo printer and some of the top rated do not
include printer to this media. Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated. My price ceiling is about $350. I'll probably print about
200 dvd's a year. Thanks
Old December 3rd 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Wayne wrote:
I do some burner of dvd's and cd's and would like a way to label them.
Labels cause some problems. I have seen inkjets that will print on
cd/dvd but I no nothing about it. Is the end result satisfactory? Does
it last? I need a good photo printer and some of the top rated do not
include printer to this media. Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated. My price ceiling is about $350. I'll probably print about
200 dvd's a year. Thanks

The Epson R200 / R300 series of inkjet printers will print directly onto CDs/DVDs.
They may not be manufactured any more, but if you have a Fry's in your neighborhood,
they frequently have 'reconditioned' printers on sale for $60 - $90 (after rebate).
I'm not sure how well it would work as a true photo printer.. At this price I
got it as a dedicated CD/DVD printer and have not printed anything else on it. It
is a little inconvenient to feed the individual CDs, but not bad. It also has a
basic, but functional "label editor".
Mike

Old December 3rd 05, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Wayne" wrote in message
I do some burner of dvd's and cd's and would like a way to label them.
Labels cause some problems. I have seen inkjets that will print on
cd/dvd but I no nothing about it. Is the end result satisfactory? Does
it last? I need a good photo printer and some of the top rated do not
include printer to this media. Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated. My price ceiling is about $350. I'll probably print about
200 dvd's a year. Thanks

Costco (and no doubt other stores) have the Epson R300 for a good price.

Old December 4th 05, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 13:09:36 -0500, Mike H
wrote:

Wayne wrote:
[...]

The Canon IP Pixma series and some MP series can be modified
to print directly onto CD/DVDs. See at
http://pixma.webpal.info/IP4200/index.htm
Old December 4th 05, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
says...

The Canon IP Pixma series and some MP series can be modified
to print directly onto CD/DVDs. See at
http://pixma.webpal.info/IP4200/index.htm

Why does Canon restrict printing CD in the US?

Old December 5th 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Mike H" wrote in message
.. .

Wayne wrote:
[...]

I have an R200 that I bought ONLY for printing on CD/DVD's and it works
great for
that...it leave a bit to be desired for photos however. I think the minimum
if you want
photos too would be the R300/R320 and the R800 would be an excellent choice
if you
find it within your budget.

George

Old December 5th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article g0wkf.7044$SY.5281@trnddc06, says...

In article ,

says...

The Canon IP Pixma series and some MP series can be modified
to print directly onto CD/DVDs. See at
http://pixma.webpal.info/IP4200/index.htm

Why does Canon restrict printing CD in the US?

OK, it was a dumb question I guess, but there must be a good story why
Canon implements the option to print on CD/DVD disks, and sells it in
Europe, but disables and hides that option the USA.

Epson printers sell the option both places.

I am not aware that HP has that option to print on CDR/DVD. Perhaps
their support of LightScribe could be a factor, but to me, that wouldnt
seem to interfere with business.

Is this inkjet-printing-of-recordable-media just another music industry
fear of duplication?