Odd statement from Canon

Old August 15th 05, 04:34 AM
SMS

Brian Baird wrote:

With Canon and Nikon being at the top of the DSLR game and Olympus being
at the bottom, I don't see why either Nikon or Canon would feel a real
need to incorporate dust removal in any of their DSLRs at this point in
time.

If it is some sort of patent issue, Olympus probably wanted a
cross-license for sensor technology with Canon, rather than licensing
fees, and Canon would not give up their family jewels.

I am critical of the deficiencies of _every_ DSLR, but IMVAIO the sensor
cleaning issue is not a real deficiency. There is probably some risk
compensation going on here as well--a Canon or Nikon owner is likely
more cautious about the conditions under which they switch lenses, than
an Olympus owner.

There is often a single great extra feature on products that are
otherwise average (or even mediocre in the case of Sigma). Sigma has the
good historgram, Olympus has the sensor cleaning, and Konica-Minolta has
the integral image stabilization.
Old August 15th 05, 05:31 AM
Skip M

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Skip M" wrote:

IIRC, Canon used to have a rep as being rather tight fisted, so fees
wouldn't have to be excessive to discourage them from buying the rights to
the technology.

That wouldn't be so surprising. On the other hand, they were
apparently very greedy when it came to licensing USM technology to
other manufacturers.

That follows rather like a tail follows a dog... ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 15th 05, 05:33 AM
Skip M

"l e o" wrote in message
k.net...
Tony Polson wrote:
"Skip M" wrote:

IIRC, Canon used to have a rep as being rather tight fisted, so fees
wouldn't have to be excessive to discourage them from buying the rights
to the technology.

That wouldn't be so surprising. On the other hand, they were
apparently very greedy when it came to licensing USM technology to
other manufacturers.

I don't think USM would do any good to if the focusing motor is in the
camera body instead of the lens.

That's something of a non sequiteur, don't you think? It's not impossible
to use a lens with a motor on a camera that also has a motor, as Nikon has
shown.

Old August 15th 05, 06:15 AM
Stacey

John A. Stovall wrote:

First, can you show the Olympus dust removal is really "extremely
effective and efficient" or is this just Olympus marketing babble.

Ask any olympus user. I've had my E300 about 9 months, change lenses
regularlly with no thought to where or how and have yet to get one spot of
dust.

Secondly, maybe because cleaning your sensor or having it done isn't a
big deal to the people who will by the 1DsMkII.

Sure, I bet no one minds having to clean the dust from their sensors,
especially after shooting and finding dust spots on images.

--

Stacey
Old August 15th 05, 12:21 PM
Tony Polson

"Skip M" wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
.. .
"Skip M" wrote:

IIRC, Canon used to have a rep as being rather tight fisted, so fees
wouldn't have to be excessive to discourage them from buying the rights to
the technology.

That wouldn't be so surprising. On the other hand, they were
apparently very greedy when it came to licensing USM technology to
other manufacturers.

That follows rather like a tail follows a dog... ;-)

True. ;-)

I was surprised to learn that Canon had licensed USM to Sigma, when
Sigma haven't ever paid any royalties to Canon for the EF mount's
electronic interface, choosing to reverse engineer it instead.