Pan O'Rama

Old October 2nd 15, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Pan O'Rama

On 02/10/2015 07:07, Savageduck wrote:
[]
From a color point of view the X-E2 is more accurate. We are dry and
bleached out, not too saturated. I am a little put off by the sky with
the iPhone pano. Regardless, we have had a dry summer and have been
lucky not to have had any more than a few local fires which were dealt
with quite quickly. That is an advantage to having one of the largest
and busiest CDF/CalFire Air attack bases at Paso Robles airport some 20
miles from where we are.
http://calfire.ca.gov/communications/downloads/fact_sheets/Aviation_Firefighting_booklet.pdf

Zoomed
in the X-E2 pano is also slightly better. However, for that I might have
a better comparison if I had shot at 35mm rather than 18mm.

I think the important point to be made here is the iPhone will do an
acceptable job if needed for online viewing/sharing.
...and that is an iPhone 5S, not the latest iPhone 6S with the improved
camera.

Thanks for the background. I frequently find that the as-supplied
camera settings for contrast and saturation are unrealistic for my
taste, and have to turn them down to something labelled "neutral" rather
than "vivid".

Good to hear that fires haven't been too much of a bother - it's been
hot here but that means 20C in October! Can't be a lot worse than
seeing your possessions and perhaps life's work go up in flames.

Completely agree that for many purposes an "out of the 'phone" pano is
more than adequate. Perhaps different if Alan B is making some 40-inch
wide exhibition print.
--
Cheers,
David
Old October 2nd 15, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-10-01 13:51, Davoud wrote:
Alan Browne:
Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

You want to compare that to a FF 24+ Mpix tripod mounted camera with a
much better lens across a wider range of lighting conditions printed to
1 x 4 metres?

I would compare it to a 24 or 50 or 500 MPix camera on a steel pier
sunk in concrete on any computer display on Earth. Don't be a snob.
There's a reason iPhone is the world's most popular camera--quality
pics and convenience.

Not about being a snob it's about the deliberate capture of a printable
pano. And pano's aren't worth printing if they're not detailed.

I think the iPhone pano thing is quite nifty. But I doubt I'd make much
of a print from one.

Old October 2nd 15, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-10-01 17:51:38 +0000, Davoud said:

Alan Browne:
Who goes to the trouble of making panoramas with a conventional camera
these days? No seams, no exposure matching. The iPhone makes superb
panoramas automatically and you *do* pan the camera.

You want to compare that to a FF 24+ Mpix tripod mounted camera with a
much better lens across a wider range of lighting conditions printed to
1 x 4 metres?

I would compare it to a 24 or 50 or 500 MPix camera on a steel pier
sunk in concrete on any computer display on Earth. Don't be a snob.
There's a reason iPhone is the world's most popular camera--quality
pics and convenience.

Just for the hell of it here is an iPhone pano to compare with an X-E2
"Motion Panorama" of a hilltop view near my home. They are sized similarly:

iPhone pano:
https://db.tt/vawU0L3f
X-E2 pano:
https://db.tt/YNv1ZC5i

X-E2 looks far better in detail but I suspect the saturation is high.
There are stitching artifacts (I think) - bands of dark areas from top
to bottom.

iPhone v. has a 'chunkyness' to it at detail level.

Old October 2nd 15, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-10-02 03:40, David Taylor wrote:
On 02/10/2015 07:07, Savageduck wrote:
[]
From a color point of view the X-E2 is more accurate. We are dry and
[...]

.... not that I actually do that of course. But those who do so do so
with the appropriate cameras, tripod, head and technique.

(I swear I've _never_ written "do so do so" before in my life. There's
one off the bucket list. er, wait, I mean...)

Old October 3rd 15, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-10-01 17:51:38 +0000, Davoud said:

Alan Browne:
[...]

It is hard to see much difference on my small laptop monitor. (I haven't
opened the box containing my new one.)

--
PeterN
Old October 3rd 15, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
I would compare it to a 24 or 50 or 500 MPix camera on a steel pier
sunk in concrete on any computer display on Earth. Don't be a snob.
There's a reason iPhone is the world's most popular camera--quality
pics and convenience.

Alan Browne:
Not about being a snob it's about the deliberate capture of a printable
pano. And pano's aren't worth printing if they're not detailed.

I agree that's important for the five or six people on Earth who are
printing large art-quality panoramas. For all the rest‹the ones who are
either printing at a smaller scale or displaying on-screen‹advantage
iPhone.

I think the iPhone pano thing is quite nifty. But I doubt I'd make much
of a print from one.

At least 13 X 19, and it looked great.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 3rd 15, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-10-02 21:40, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
I would compare it to a 24 or 50 or 500 MPix camera on a steel pier
sunk in concrete on any computer display on Earth. Don't be a snob.
There's a reason iPhone is the world's most popular camera--quality
pics and convenience.

Alan Browne:
Not about being a snob it's about the deliberate capture of a printable
pano. And pano's aren't worth printing if they're not detailed.

I agree that's important for the five or six people on Earth who are
printing large art-quality panoramas.

Ah the deprecating parting shot - effective with some - I guess your
audience is small enough for such comments to pass.

Old October 4th 15, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2015-10-01 17:51:38 +0000, Davoud said:

Alan Browne:
[...]

I just opened these on my desktop and the first one seem way more
processed with clearly less detail than the second one. Good enough for
Facebook though, me thinks...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 4th 15, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Alan Browne"
... not that I actually do that of course. But those who do so do so
with the appropriate cameras, tripod, head and technique.

(I swear I've _never_ written "do so do so" before in my life. There's
one off the bucket list. er, wait, I mean...)

Let us hope that if you ever have occasion to write it again, you will
write "...those who do so, do so..."