Super Moon eclipse

Old September 26th 15, 07:04 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Super Moon eclipse

Ken Hart:
I plan to just drive my Ford F150 pickup in circles until the display on
the dashboard shows "E".
For confirmation, I'll have a small potted tree on the back of the
truck, and I can check where the moss is growing then turn right 90 degrees.

That is an excellent plan. A word of caution on the moss, however. In
the case of moss growing on a well shaded tree trunk it may not be
limited to the north side.

Furthermore, you didn't say where you are (possibly because you do not
yet know), but I would remind you that in the southern hemisphere the
moss is likely to be on the south side of the tree and you will need to
drive in circles until the display reads "S" and then turn *left* .

Or, as mentioned earlier in this thread, weather permitting, you could
just look for the brightest thing in the sky at about 20:00 (allowing
time for the Moon to clear obstacles on the horizon). Be careful not to
get dizzy as you spin your body to look for it. If you fall you will
have to start again from the beginning.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 26th 15, 07:06 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-26 16:08:41 +0000, Davoud said:

Giff:
I would like an app which, when I turn around the phone, shows me
exactly where to expect the moon to rise, does such an app exist?

Already mentioned in this thread: The Photographer's Ephemeris
http://photoephemeris.com/ covers sunrise/set and moonrise/set. No
need to rotate the phone or iPad. Also available free as a web app for
your Mac.

If you need the stars and deep-sky as well, try SkySafari Pro. Here you
get to wave your phone around.

The "Sky Guide" app for $2.99 does a pretty good job for those who want
sky mapping along with some basic information for iDevices. In the
basic view it shows your horizon with a running time line, and also
shows the various bodies below the horizon.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sky-guide-view-stars-night/id576588894?mt=8
It does a similar job to "Sky Safari Pro" for those who might not want
to spend $40 on the app, and who might not need the more powerful app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skysafari-4-pro-planets-most/id766939977?mt=8

Here is an iPod "Sky Guide" screenshot taken this AM showing the Sun's
position. The same can be done for the Moon, satellites, etc.
https://db.tt/l5rATlME
....and a man made pass.
https://db.tt/6mqwhqR7

Savageduck

Old September 26th 15, 07:11 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-26 17:32:17 +0000, Ken Hart said:

On 09/26/2015 01:25 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , rickman
wrote:

As for direction, look east. It might not always be
*exactly* east, but for all practical purposes it it.
Why would you need data to find it, anyway? It's
a light in the sky.

you must be kidding.

He has a point. The moon is the largest body in the sky at night. How
hard is it to find?

eventually you can find it but knowing when and where to look and what
phase it will be in helps a *lot*, plus the apps show much, much more
than just the moon.

I plan to just drive my Ford F150 pickup in circles until the display
on the dashboard shows "E".
For confirmation, I'll have a small potted tree on the back of the
truck, and I can check where the moss is growing then turn right 90
degrees.

....and here I was thinking that all you had to do to find East, was sit
on your thumb, and wait until your pivot to the North had stabilized,
look over your right shoulder and there it is.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 15, 08:19 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 09/26/2015 01:42 PM, Davoud wrote:
rickman:
He has a point. The moon is the largest body in the sky at night.

Bzzzzzt! The Moon is the *brightest* body in the night sky. There are
many objects with a greater angular diameter than the Moon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:I...onomical_objec
ts_by_angular_size. Not all are visible to the unaided eye, however.

How hard is it to find?

Depends on the weather, dunnit? I knew exactly where to look for the
Moon from central Maryland last night, but I couldn't see it to save my
life. I expect the same will be true for tomorrow's eclipse, though I
will have a telescope ready
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/21181354091 in case of an
unexpected improvement in the weather.

But here's a nice photo of the Moon that my wife and I made a few years
ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/5543413228/.

Accuweather's hour-by-hour forecast is calling for 7PM- mostly cloudy,
8PM- showers, 9PM- partly coludy, 10PM- mostly clear. National Weather
Service is calling for a minimal chance of showers, and mostly cloudy.
(Southwest Indiana, Evansville radar)

Some clouds would just add interest to the photos. Otherwise, it's just
some big red ball in the sky that was the last thing anyone saw before
the Earth was pulled into two pieces. It is interesting to note that
neither Accuweather or NWS is forecasting an apocalypse, so I guess they
both got that wrong!

(It would be mildly humourous if someone at either forecast organization
were to remove all forecasts past Sunday evening and replace them with
"No Forecast Data- Earth destroyed".)

--
Ken Hart

Old September 26th 15, 09:28 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-25 18:11:28 +0000, rickman said:

On 9/25/2015 12:58 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 09/25/2015 12:37 PM, PeterN wrote:
This Sunday there will be a super moon, followed by a partial eclipse.
If any are interested in photographing it, check you local area for
exact times and locations.

There is a program that gives you specific information including
times,
where to look, etc. The PC version is free.

http://photoephemeris.com/

I thought the Super Moon was Monday?

Depends on where you are. Further east and it is later and can be
after midnight, so Monday. That would be Europe and Africa. It is
supposed to start around 8 PM EDT where I am.

From where I am on the California Central Coast, Moonrise starts at
18:50 on Sunday, and will be full within 60 minutes.

Looks like we will be rained out Sunday.... I guess I'll have to wait
for the next one in '33 I think it is.

:-(

--
PeterN

Old September 26th 15, 09:35 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

That's also a reasonable plan, but if keep your other thumb in your
mouth, don't play switch.

--
PeterN
Old September 26th 15, 09:44 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/26/2015 3:19 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
[...]

One well known meteorologist threaned to sue his stockbroker because a
stock he had purchased several years ago tanked.
The conversation went something like this:

Stockbroker: Are you "" the well known meteorologist.

Him: Yes

Stockbroker: Please go to a window and tell me if it is raining.

Him It is raining.

Stockbroker: Your forecast this morning was for sunshine all day. Now if
the best meteorologist in the country cannot get the weather right for
an eight hour period, how do you reasonably expect us to predict all
stocks performance for years in advance.

End of complaint.

--
PeterN
Old September 26th 15, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/26/2015 1:09 PM, RichA wrote:
On Friday, 25 September 2015 12:37:34 UTC-4, peterN wrote:
This Sunday there will be a super moon, followed by a partial eclipse.
If any are interested in photographing it, check you local area for
exact times and locations.

There is a program that gives you specific information including times,
where to look, etc. The PC version is free.

http://photoephemeris.com/

--
PeterN

Don't forget. Exposure times from unclipsed full moon and fully-eclipsed moon can vary from (at ISO 200) f/8 at 1/1000th to as much as 8 minutes(!need driven mounting).

Good point.

--
PeterN
Old September 26th 15, 11:10 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| There's no need for an app. It's easy to find moon
| phase times online. Here's an example:
|
| http://www.calendar-365.com/moon/moon-phases.html
|
| it's much easier with an app on a phone that tells you where the moon
| is *now* and which can be checked while outside and not just for the
| moon either.

What would really be useful is an app to
show you what's in front of you by using
the camera. Then you wouldn't trip over
anything while you look for the moon.