LR rejects large files

Old September 22nd 15, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default LR rejects large files

I finally dipped in my toe and imported my first group of 34,000 +
images into LR. All seemed to go well until at the end I got an error
message stating that 2 files were too large to import. Unfortunately,
the message did not identify the files. In the past there were several
files that were too large to save, and I fixed that by reducing the
pixels on the longest side. (IIRC they were panos.)
Has anyone here run into that. If I am going to use LR it would be nice
have them all.

--
PeterN
Old September 22nd 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-22 10:38, PeterN wrote:
I finally dipped in my toe and imported my first group of 34,000 +
images into LR. All seemed to go well until at the end I got an error
message stating that 2 files were too large to import. Unfortunately,
the message did not identify the files. In the past there were several
files that were too large to save, and I fixed that by reducing the
pixels on the longest side. (IIRC they were panos.)
Has anyone here run into that. If I am going to use LR it would be nice
have them all.

The largest image space for LR is 65535 x 65535 pixels. Which at base
would suggest 3 x 65535^2 bytes (uncompressed). 12 GB.

Could it be you inadvertently included files that are not in fact images?

Old September 22nd 15, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-22 14:38:20 +0000, PeterN said:

I finally dipped in my toe and imported my first group of 34,000 +
images into LR. All seemed to go well until at the end I got an error
message stating that 2 files were too large to import. Unfortunately,
the message did not identify the files. In the past there were several
files that were too large to save, and I fixed that by reducing the
pixels on the longest side. (IIRC they were panos.)
Has anyone here run into that. If I am going to use LR it would be nice
have them all.

I have not experienced the issue you describe, but I certainly don't
produce files close to the size you seem to generate.

What file types are you trying to import?
I suspect the issue might lie with you importing two of your fat files.

I have a feeling that you, in your own inimitable way, are trying to do
too much at once.

I would start by importing your NEFs first, then import smaller batches
of completed project files, directing those to specific locations/LR
Folders.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-22 15:56:47 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 08:15:45 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-09-22 14:38:20 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

He's already started, and suggestions about what he should have done
are not really helpful. As I understand his problem, all he wants to
do now is to determine which two files weren't imported and change
those two files so they can be imported.

That's a simple task as I explained in another post.

If he does have more files to import, I would not - emphatically not -
suggest importing by type of file format. He, presumably, has some
sort of system in place wherein files are contained in folders and
sub-folders.

I'd import by-folder, or by-folders. LR can import a large number of
files at a time, but it's not going to make the process much more time
consuming or complex by doing it in chunks.

I would give consideration to the present system before importing. LR
is going to replicate that system, so there might be reasons to
consolidate folders as sub-folders under a master folder before
import.

My own system is a master folder for Family and a master Folder for
Hobby, and sub-folders by year. I'm not recommending this, but it
does work for me.

I agree with all you have said above, and we each have our own way of
organizing within LR. However, I have a feeling, which Peter can
verify, that he has decided to finally dive into LR in a big way and
has started the import process without any thought to organization or
the process.

I would have hoped that Peter would have taken a more incremental
approach to adopting LR than a full on, "I am doing it my way" method.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 15, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-22 10:38, PeterN wrote:
I finally dipped in my toe and imported my first group of 34,000 +
images into LR. All seemed to go well until at the end I got an error
message stating that 2 files were too large to import. Unfortunately,
the message did not identify the files. In the past there were several
files that were too large to save, and I fixed that by reducing the
pixels on the longest side. (IIRC they were panos.)
Has anyone here run into that. If I am going to use LR it would be nice
have them all.

The largest image space for LR is 65535 x 65535 pixels. Which at base
would suggest 3 x 65535^2 bytes (uncompressed). 12 GB.

Could it be you inadvertently included files that are not in fact images?

While anything can happen, I doubt it. This images were all in folder
created in Bridge. I painstakingly renamed each of the folders so I
could use LR's find functionality. One of my thoughts is to do a global
for any .psb files.

--
PeterN
Old September 22nd 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/22/2015 11:15 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2015-09-22 14:38:20 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

should i just delete my catalog and start over? It might be less work in
the long run. I thought LR kept the same folder names as the imported
files.
I did have some large pano files, which would have created the problem.

--
PeterN
Old September 22nd 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-22 14:38:20 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I still have about another 50k files to import. As I said to the duck, I
have no problem redoing the import if it will probably make life easier
in the future. (Photo life with LR, that is.)

Old September 22nd 15, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-09-22 14:38:20 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Your hope is well founded. Prior to import I spent hours renaming and
arranging my folders and sub-folders, in preparation for implementation.
This first batch was intended as a test, to see if I did it right. Once
i am reasonably comfortable, my next step will be to create libraries.
If I understand LR, if I place an image in several libraries, both will
point to the original so I will not be taking up much additional space.
Since all the images are on external HDDs, it should not be difficult to
essentially duplicate the catalog and libraries on my other machine. All
of this learning is being done on my laptop.

--
PeterN
Old September 22nd 15, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-22 14:38:20 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

What you could do, is create a new LR catalog with its unique name, say
"Peter NEF-1". Import the NEFs into that using the Bridge files that
you have previously established. That should get your originals imorted
and cataloged.

Then, if those imports are done by date, import project files in
appropriate batches and they should be placed in similar order, or even
the same folders depending on your set up.

If you have two problematic pano files they should reveal themselves
isolated to a particular project batch.
Then delete the original catalog.

The next stage would be to rename the individual folders to make
locating stuff simpler with labels. Once you have that done we can
discuss collections.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_320.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-22 14:38:20 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Isn't school fun? ;-)

Savageduck