Will need new printer

Old September 16th 15, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Will need new printer

On 2015-09-16 18:43:25 +0000, nospam said:

In article , philo
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it, I recall my wife
downloading the ICC color profile from Epson. The first test print was
absolutely 100% perfect and we keep it in our living room to show people
what great results we got.

My credit card billing cycle is closed, printer just ordered

Thank you very much...the $200 rebate this month sure made it easy on
the budget.

Old September 16th 15, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-16 18:43:25 +0000, nospam said:

In article , philo
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it, I recall my wife
downloading the ICC color profile from Epson. The first test print was
absolutely 100% perfect and we keep it in our living room to show people
what great results we got.

My credit card billing cycle is closed, printer just ordered

Thank you very much...the $200 rebate this month sure made it easy on
the budget.

Enjoy! I am sure you will be a happy camper. ...er, printer.

Savageduck

Old September 17th 15, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:43:25 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , philo
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it, I recall my wife
downloading the ICC color profile from Epson. The first test print was
absolutely 100% perfect and we keep it in our living room to show people
what great results we got.

a downloaded profile is only '100% perfect' for the printer/ink/paper
combo used to generate the profile, which is the one in epson's labs
and not the one you bought.

however it might be close enough.

for '100% perfect' you need to generate a custom profile for *your*
printer with the inks it currently has and the paper you're currently
using. different papers will need different profiles, as will inks but
inks are usually fairly consistent from batch to batch.

And I have found so too are Epson profiles.

These new 'P' series printers use different inks which have a wider
gamut than the previous inks and almost certainly noticably wider than
the 1800. I have just hauled out some 1800 prints and, good as they
are, the colors are not as good as the 3800's. I have no 3880 prints
but I know they have a slightly wider gamut than the 3800. P series
inks have a wider gamut again.

Eric Stevens
Old September 17th 15, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/16/2015 05:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:

My credit card billing cycle is closed, printer just ordered

Thank you very much...the $200 rebate this month sure made it easy on
the budget.

Enjoy! I am sure you will be a happy camper. ...er, printer.

Well, my wife will be using the printer. I now have the old one to play
with...it might be good enough for printing out letters...

will experiment tomorrow.
Old September 17th 15, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/16/2015 07:28 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:43:25 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , philo
wrote:

[...]

Well , in a few days we will find out...both of us were very happy with
the R1800
Old September 17th 15, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-17 00:51:44 +0000, philo said:

On 09/16/2015 05:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:

My credit card billing cycle is closed, printer just ordered

Thank you very much...the $200 rebate this month sure made it easy on
the budget.

Enjoy! I am sure you will be a happy camper. ...er, printer.

Well, my wife will be using the printer. I now have the old one to
play with...it might be good enough for printing out letters...

Regarding printing documents and letters with a printer intended for
dedicated photo printing, I have discovered that while printers such as
your R1800 and my R2880 and Eric's R3800 are quite capable when it
comes to printing letters, a less expensive to operate, general purpose
printer such as some of the all-in one printers are better suited to
that job.

I found that it was better to seperate the tasks and I leave my quality
photo printing to my R2880 with its more costly inks. My document
printing from my desktop, printing from my mobile devices (iPhone &
iPad) and more casual photo prints are left to an Epson Artisan WiFi
printer which cost me less than $100 at Staples.
The seperation of the two tasks has saved me considerably when it comes
to ink usage and expenditure.

....and the new Epson all-in-one printers have WiFi and big ink tanks.

will experiment tomorrow.

Have fun.

Savageduck

Old September 17th 15, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:16:16 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Regarding printing documents and letters with a printer intended for
dedicated photo printing, I have discovered that while printers such as
your R1800 and my R2880 and Eric's R3800 are quite capable when it
comes to printing letters, a less expensive to operate, general purpose
printer such as some of the all-in one printers are better suited to
that job.

I found that it was better to seperate the tasks and I leave my quality
photo printing to my R2880 with its more costly inks. My document
printing from my desktop, printing from my mobile devices (iPhone &
iPad) and more casual photo prints are left to an Epson Artisan WiFi
printer which cost me less than $100 at Staples.
The seperation of the two tasks has saved me considerably when it comes
to ink usage and expenditure.

I think the best option for letters, as long as you don't usually do
any color with them, is a laser printer. No more throwing away mostly
full, but dried up ink tanks from lack of use. And if you really do
need something in color, you always have the photo printer for
occasional work.
Old September 17th 15, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

The definition of "perfect" being good enough that no human could tell
the difference.

there are a lot of humans who can tell the difference between a canned
profile and a properly made profile for the printer/ink/paper combo you
are actually using.

however, the difference is usually minor and most people don't care.

It is not a case of "most people don't care" that makes
the difference. What makes a difference is the job.

If you, for example, get a contract with Nikon to
generate an advertisement, which makes more than minimal
use of the color yellow... it won't make a difference
to anyone of the poster stapled to a telephone pole down
the rode from your home is even close to the same color
yellow as is seen in the poster stapled to an alley wall
on the other side of town. Clearly if the two posters
are printed on different machines, using different paper
and different inks, all will be fine even if stock
profiles are used.

Now consider putting an insert into a magazine, between
two pages that also have Nikon's yellow. Two different
types of paper, maybe two different printers and sets of
ink. And stock profiles would probably produce a
product that almost everyone would see as two different
colors of yellow... because they are both right there
next to each other! And Nikon will reject your work,
not pay you, and never talk to you again.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old September 17th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Laser printers are very nice where quantities need to be printed, but
they might be over-kill for a low demand home office. We had networked
HP laser printers at work and those were worked hard, but I certainly
don't need that capability at home. (I am a retired old fart after all)

As far as dried up ink cartridges in my Epson Artisan XP-610 goes, it
has proven to be a non-issue. With my low demand on document prints I
can print as needed from my Mac, my iPad, my iPhone, and my
stepdaughter-from-Hell can print from her iPhone, all with the XP-610
not physically connected to anything, all done by WiFi, a great way to
share a home printer. The added bonus is the ability to scan to those
devices via WiFi, all for less than $100.

....and the photo printer doesn't have ink wasted on mundane tasks.

Savageduck

Old September 17th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

[...]

those are not a 'most people' scenario.

the reality is that most people do not care about accurate colour. they
were happy with 1-hour photo-processing and they're happy with whatever
they get from a printer, even *without* any colour management at all,
as long as it's reasonably close.

to put it another way, grandma isn't going to complain that her
granddaughter susie's dress is not the exact shade of blue it's
supposed to be or if her skin is a bit too yellow. it simply doesn't
matter.