Canon 100-400 or 300 with Rebel?

Old August 23rd 05, 04:46 AM

In message ,
"Frank ess" wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in message
news:ewrOe.4425$Hi.3283@trnddc04...
I am trying to choose between a Canon 100-400 L IS or a 300 L IS for
use with a digital Rebel. With the effective magnification of the
body, either lens would give a respectable telephoto length.

Anyone else out there who has already made this choice...? ...and
can you comment on the decision process?

Depending on your current arsenal, you might add in the Forgotten 400:
http://luminous-landscape.com/review...tten-400.shtml

The comparison to 100-400 frames are telling.

It tells me that this particular sample is defective, unfocused, or poor
tripod technique was used. My 100-400 @400 is way sharper than that, at
f/5.6.
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 23rd 05, 04:52 AM

In message ,
"Charles Schuler" wrote:

I tried some tripod tests with both of the above at 300 mm and the 100-400
is sharper, but not so much as to justify the huge difference in cost. The
100-400 also focuses faster; but again, given the cost, size and weight,
many could be better off with the 75-300.

The 100-400 is a lot sharper than it appears to be; first of all, IS
doesn't preserve tack-sharpness 2 to 3 stops; maybe only one stop. it
is the low-frequency jitter that the IS works best on; not the
high-frequency jitter, so lots of people are using the 100-400 at
un-hand-holdable shutter speeds for tack-sharpness. I would put the
100-400 (my copy, anyway) at having about 2.5x the angular resolution at
400mm than the 75-300 has at 300mm. If you can get enough light for
fast shutter speeds, or use flash, the 100-400 is still good with a 2x
TC.
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 23rd 05, 10:05 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Wayne" wrote in message
I am trying to choose between a Canon 100-400 L IS or a 300 L IS for use
with a digital Rebel. With the effective magnification of the body, either
lens would give a respectable telephoto length.

Anyone else out there who has already made this choice...? ...and can you
comment on the decision process?

Wayne,

These were all taken with a DRebel (300D) and the 100-400 L IS lens.
http://www.pbase.com/rkircher/100400

I personally love the lens. It is heavy and the push pull zoom takes some
getting used to but the results are treat IMHO.

As to why I bought the zoom over a prime? Well look at the focal length
numbers on the pics in that gallery and I think that will be clear. I
wanted the flexibility of range that you can't get with a prime lens and I
didn't have enough $ to buy multiple lenses or the desire to constantly
switch lenses.

HTH
--

Rob

Old August 23rd 05, 08:54 PM
Wayne

Rob--
Thanks for referring me to the site. That shows very well the versatility
and results from the lens. So far I'm leaning toward the 100-400 because it
encompasses the 300 and looks favorably sharp.
--Wayne