What to you think of my first competition photo?

Old November 14th 06, 08:14 AM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
schM1ck 1

Default What to you think of my first competition photo?

Hi all -

I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
in it he
http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/Gall...?imageid=19622 It's my
first competition!!!

If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
starting today.

Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).

Many thanks,
Mick

Old November 14th 06, 10:12 AM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"schM1ck 1" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all -

I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
in it he
http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/Gall...?imageid=19622 It's my
first competition!!!

If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
starting today.

Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).

Many thanks,
Mick

I personally am not particularly taken by it, bit busy and not particularly
crisp. I am not very familiar with Picasa but I suspect that it is not the
best package around to get the best from your photos.

Old November 14th 06, 10:59 AM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Olli

schM1ck 1 wrote:

I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a
pic in it he
http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/Gall...?imageid=19622 It's my
first competition!!!

---
Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit,
so it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).

Comment given in with positive intentions:

This photo has got the elements to make more. Its in a way a bit halfway
photo, it does not make the idea strongly clear. A photo must usually pint
clearly out its idea, and the birds in foreground remain too tame for that.

The contrasts of night look good on my LCD display. Its too easy to make a
night scene almost photo graphics.

Olli Orkoneva

Old November 14th 06, 12:26 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
schM1ck 1

Pete D wrote:
not particularly crisp. I am not very familiar with Picasa but I suspect that it is not the
best package around to get the best from your photos.

*grin* it's not. But it's what I know. So... you play around with what
your abilities allow you to do. I've tried PS-ing it, but I'm nowhere
near skilled enough to bring the best elements out and make it shine.
So I make do.

Thanks for your thoughts Pete.

- Mick

Old November 14th 06, 12:47 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
schM1ck 1

Olli wrote:
This photo has got the elements to make more. Its in a way a bit halfway
photo, it does not make the idea strongly clear. A photo must usually pint
clearly out its idea, and the birds in foreground remain too tame for that.

The contrasts of night look good on my LCD display. Its too easy to make a
night scene almost photo graphics.

Olli Orkoneva

Fair enough. What elements have potential, and can I ask what you mean
by 'tame'?

(Should they heve been viciously devouring dolphins or whales? JK!)

Cheers,
- Mick

Old November 14th 06, 12:55 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

schM1ck 1 wrote:
Hi all -

I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a
pic in it he
http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/Gall...?imageid=19622 It's my
first competition!!!

If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
starting today.

Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit,
so it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).

Many thanks,
Mick

I like to see a story and what I see is two subjects. The bridge and
skyline is fine, nicely done. The two birds are fine. However I don't see
a connection, rather I see competing subjects neither of which is supporting
the other. I might have liked it better without the starcross effect and
maybe a little closer to the birds. Then the birds might have taken control
of the image.

That said, the technical part of the photo (exposure contrast etc.) is
very good and is not all that easy a subject to get it good.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old November 14th 06, 01:49 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Olli

schM1ck 1 wrote:

This photo has got the elements to make more. Its in a way a bit
halfway photo, it does not make the idea strongly clear. A photo
must usually pint clearly out its idea, and the birds in foreground
remain too tame for that.

Fair enough. What elements have potential, and can I ask what you mean
by 'tame'?

(Should they heve been viciously devouring dolphins or whales? JK!)

I think that the foreground elements should be more dominating. There is
some examples he http://www.cameraontheroad.com/index.php?p=233 I see
that your idea is to get both foreground and background into pic, but they
are too equal.

As you usually make the best photos when you make them for a specific
purpose, you can start thinking what is the purpose of this pic. Think about
it as an illustration for a newspaper or magazine story telling about this
place OR the statue in foreground. If you decide what you want to tell, its
easier to figure out how you could improve the pic.

Think of the pic recomposed so that the statue gets higher. First 1/6 of the
height of the pic. Then so much that it comes on the horizontal lines of the
bridge.

I know that my starting point can be very different of yours, since I
comment your pics as journalist (and amateur photographer), but you can read
my comments knowing my background.

Olli Orkoneva

Old November 14th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Mac

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:55:00 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

schM1ck 1 wrote:
[...]

Was this photo actually taken with a 300D on 1/01/1980 or does the
date in the camera need setting?

Jack Mac
Old November 14th 06, 04:27 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Mike

"schM1ck 1" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all -

I just heard about the Canon online 400D competiton. I've entered a pic
in it he
http://www.canon.com.au/eos400d/Gall...?imageid=19622 It's my
first competition!!!

If anyone thinks it's worthy of a vote, please do! It goes for a week
starting today.

Constructive comments would also be welcomed. (I use Picasa to edit, so
it brings up noise more quickly than a professional package would).

Many thanks,
Mick

I think you would have a very nice photo if you would remove the birds.
When I look at your photo my eye is drawn to the lights on the bridge, the
lights from the buildings and the reflections on the water. The birds are a
distraction, it's like they don't belong with the rest of the scene.

Old November 14th 06, 04:33 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
JC Dill

On 14 Nov 2006 04:26:22 -0800, "schM1ck 1"
wrote:

I've tried PS-ing it, but I'm nowhere
near skilled enough to bring the best elements out and make it shine.

I highly recommend Photoshop For Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby.
He has editions of this book for several different Photoshop and
Photoshop Elements versions so get the edition that matches your
software. After I learned how to make certain edits I found many of
my photos benefitted from those edits.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA