My D70 got Smashed

Old May 21st 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default My D70 got Smashed

no_name wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

Here's the damage on the old D70:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/cameras/2006-04-27-smashed-d70&PG=1&PIC=1
-it's off to Japan to see if it can be repaired.

I just heard back and it is repairable for $300. I told them to go for
it. Maybe then I'll sell it as a kit with the 28-200 Nikkor I no
longer use. If you look at the damage, they'll have to replace pretty
much the whole outside casing. The sensor was real grimy too, I was
told that would be cleaned as part of the process, regular fluid &
pads wasn't getting it off.

Had a camera inside a rucksack that bounced outa' the back of a deuce 'n
a half one time. Ruck got run over by another truck.

Cracked the prism housing and bottom plate, trashed the lens (50 f/1.7).
But the body was repairable. Top & bottom plates replaced. "New" lens &
it was "good as new".

Still got it. Keepin' it for a secondary backup. Don't use it, but it
does work if I needed it.

I might keep it as I'm starting to go somewhat pro. I'd like to do some
side by side comparisons with the D200 too.

Might make a good backup body.

Yeah for when I smash my new camera :-)
But odd to just have it sit around unused, no room in my bag for typical
day trips & I hate to leave stuff in the car while on the road. I'd
probably rather sell it & get a pocket size P&S backup for practicality
& when I don't want to lug the beast around.
Old May 21st 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Sat, 20 May 2006 19:33:26 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

Worth repairing? It meters & autofocuses. None of the buttons on the
left side work. Quality changed from jpeg+RAW to stuck on normal. The
final shot is number 33360 so I got my money's worth.

Good excuse to get a ruggedized D200 (with a wrist strap & a carabiner
clip).

Apparently Nikon will give an estimate for free, the shop I'm getting a
D200 body from (talked him down to $50 over MSRP) will waive $15
shipping so I should be good to go. I don't mind $50 rather than a race
to Best Buy's next shipment, probably a week.

Here's the damage on the old D70:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/cameras/2006-04-27-smashed-d70&PG=1&PIC=1

-it's off to Japan to see if it can be repaired.

That's not too bad. You should have seen my 8008S when I slipped on
the ice. It drove the pentaprism right down into the body. I didn't
figure it was repariable, but they actually did it for well under the
price of a new one. OTOH that was back when the 8008 series was new.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old May 22nd 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Paul Furman wrote:
Here's the damage on the old D70:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/cameras/2006-04-27-smashed-d70&PG=1&PIC=1

-it's off to Japan to see if it can be repaired.

BTW ... here is a more useful URL for those that stick to 80 characters in
USENET http://tinyurl.com/rkew9

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse