My D70 got Smashed

Old April 27th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default My D70 got Smashed

... Last summer I dropped
a 150mm caltar when taking it off my 4x5. I had a UV
filter on the front, but the lens fell onto a pointy rock
with the rear element hitting the rock.

I had the itty bitty 45 P lens mounted giving it the proportions of a
ball. It rolled very smoothly down the hill picking up speed. Probably
another lens would never have taken loose like that.

PS someone local emailed with interest in the batteries. I'll keep you
in mind for the body Roger. Would you still want it IF disassembled?
I've been knowN to dismantle things just for fun:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/misc-photos/2005-02-14-VCR&PG=1&PIC=3
Old April 27th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Ken Nadvornick" wrote in message
[SNIP]

It now looks like I hit the camera repeatedly with a huge hammer. $1,300
(USD) are gone in an instant. And I originally purchased that camera way
back in 1983 and it had *not a single* scratch on it. This is the

absolute
first time I've ever damaged any piece of photographic equipment -- beyond
the normal wear and tear of disposable accessories. Ever...

Ouch! Commiserations...

Peter

Old April 27th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Paul Furman wrote:
: -(

About a 50-foot roll down a steep 1:1 slope in the woods, stopped by a
rock, crunched one corner. It appears to function other than the main
LCD & "remaining shots" count on the top LCD but those shots didn't get
recorded on the card. There is about a 1-inch cracked section on the
lower left back corner, all 3 sides broke as you face the viewfinder.

Worth repairing? It meters & autofocuses. None of the buttons on the
left side work. Quality changed from jpeg+RAW to stuck on normal. The
final shot is number 33360 so I got my money's worth.

Good excuse to get a ruggedized D200 (with a wrist strap & a carabiner
clip).

Any offers for 2 spare batteries, charger & cables (I think they don't
work on a D200). I would take a pic with my old oly C3030 & sell it on
ebay for spare parts but that camera seems to have given up too. Some
days it turns on, some days it doesn't. Hell, I've even got a broken
Canon AE1 film camera in storage (with a crappy lens).

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

You poor creature!

Old April 27th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
That was God punishing you for sinning against the book of Canon.

Nah. He should've got a Pentax.

I fell 110 feet down a glacier in the Andes with one round my neck about 20
years ago. The camera hit a rock (which otherwise I would have hit) and got
a dent in the pentaprism housing. But it continues to work perfectly to
this day.

More recently I accidentally bashed a much newer one into the corner of my
house. Knocked a bit of brick out of the house, but didn't even scratch the
camera.

So Nah-nah nah-nah nah....

;-)

Peter [Ducking the thrown camera parts coming his way.]

Old April 27th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote:

You poor creature!

No, you weren't paying attention. Snap out of it man!

Old April 27th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Plasti-c-c-c-c-c-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 27th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Bummer! I dropped my 1D Mark II from about 3 feet onto a rock
when I was in Australia, and I thought it was a goner. Not even
a scratch, and it works fine!

I have to say, DSLRs seem to be more rugged than I'd give them credit
for. I dropped my 300D from a height of 3-4 feet onto a hard tile floor
about 18 months ago...the bottom corner hit the ground first, the
camera sort of bounced and tipped forward, and the fall was ultimately
stopped by the 18-55 kit lens, which hit the floor hard enough to knock
the lens cap loose. The only damage? A piece of plastic about the size
of a dime broke off of the corner of the battery grip, near the shutter
release. I used the camera for the rest of the night (astonished that
the kit lens still functioned perfectly), and the next day I superglued
the broken piece back on to the grip.

(Since then, a friend of mine has also dropped the camera once, from
about 3' onto a carpeted floor. The same piece of plastic was knocked
out again; I just glued it back in.)

If a Digital Rebel + kit lens can take that sort of abuse, I can only
imagine what a 1D can survive. I had already been impressed that the
camera had no complaints about moving from the -25C temperature outside
into the coffee shop that the accident occured in. I haven't yet
actually taken the camera out in the rain, but at this point I fully
expect that it wouldn't have trouble, even though the 300D isn't
weatherproofed.

- Darryl

Old April 27th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

I don't care what anyone says about you, Rich. Keep up the good work.
You made me laugh today. You actually contribute an interesting
insight to this newsgroup. Photography is like Art. Everyone has
their own perspective on what a great photo should look like. As for
who can afford the most expensive toys, well that's a topic that we can
save for another day.

RichA - Thurs, Apr 27 2006 8:59 am

Plasti-c-c-c-c-c-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old April 27th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ken Nadvornick wrote:

tripod as well.

It now looks like I hit the camera repeatedly with a huge hammer. $1,300
(USD) are gone in an instant. And I originally purchased that camera way
back in 1983 and it had *not a single* scratch on it. This is the absolute
first time I've ever damaged any piece of photographic equipment -- beyond
the normal wear and tear of disposable accessories. Ever...

Ow. Damn. Sorry to hear this. Sounds like the loss was way more than the
money spent, even 1983 dollars.

--
John McWilliams
Old April 27th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

It now looks like I hit the camera repeatedly with a huge hammer. $1,300
(USD) are gone in an instant.

That is one fuked up story, you seem pretty relaxed about it though. I'd be
****ed for long while if same happened to me.

"Paul Furman" wrote:

About a 50-foot roll down a steep 1:1 slope in the woods,
stopped by a rock, crunched one corner. It appears to
function other than the main LCD & "remaining shots"
count on the top LCD but those shots didn't get recorded
on the card. There is about a 1-inch cracked section on the
lower left back corner, all 3 sides broke as you face the
viewfinder.

OK, Paul. In my never ending quest to demonstrate that traditional
photography can do *everything* as good as, or better than, those digital
toys you guys are all so fond of -- a true story...

Four days ago (last Saturday afternoon) I was sitting in the northlight
shadow of a local school building at a small table with my hands inside a
changing bag while loading film holders. Set up next to me was a large,
heavy wooden tripod holding a 2.5 x 3.5 foot sheet of plywood painted

white
on one side and black on the other. Facing that was my trusty Zone VI
(Wista DXII) 4x5 field camera on a second tripod, with my Schneider 210mm
f/5.6 lens attached.

What was I doing? Calibrating a new series of B&W films. (I'm bailing on
Kodak before they can finish bailing on me and moving to Ilford, like
everyone else in analog.) So I'd been making carefully exposed test
negatives (destined for the densitometer) for several hours when a huge

gust
of wind comes out of nowhere.

Over goes the heavy tripod along with the far heavier plywood... right

into
the other tripod. I look up with immobilized hands only just in time to

see
the combined weight of the first setup hit the second and smash the

camera,
backward and groundglass down, directly onto the asphalt. The camera
*explodes* as it hits.

Every piece of metal bends severely. The rosewood focusing rail splits
right through the wood from front to rear. So does the camera back. The
groundglass shatters into a million pieces. Wood screws are torn right

out
of the wood. The bellows are twisted and ripped. Even the handle of the
solid aluminum tripod supporting the camera was torn right off, ruining

the
tripod as well.

It now looks like I hit the camera repeatedly with a huge hammer. $1,300
(USD) are gone in an instant. And I originally purchased that camera way
back in 1983 and it had *not a single* scratch on it. This is the

absolute
first time I've ever damaged any piece of photographic equipment -- beyond
the normal wear and tear of disposable accessories. Ever...

So you are not alone, my friend.

Good excuse for me to look at the Wisner 4x5 Technical Field, I guess.

(If
Ron Wisner can get his act together...)

Ken

P.S. Miraculously, the Schneider lens suffered no apparent visible

damage,
sandwiched as it was between mountains of wreckage. Tomorrow it goes in

an excellent local repair technician for a full check-up. My fingers are
crossed...