Kodak Gold 100 vs Kodak Bright Sun vs Kodak High Definition Colour Film

Old October 4th 04, 03:41 AM
Graham Fountain

Default Kodak Gold 100 vs Kodak Bright Sun vs Kodak High Definition Colour Film

Normally the only kodak colour film that I see in shops here is "Kodak
Bright Sun 100" or "Kodak High Definition" film. I have used these common
Kodak films and hated them - horrible colours, horrible grain. I normally
use Fuji Superia 100 (occassionally 400) for my everyday shooting, as I
liked it's colours and it has a nice fine grain.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was in a small town and needed some film -
the only shop in town was a kodak only shop, no fuji stuff at all, and they
had these usual kodak films, but also had some very cheap rolls of "Kodak
Gold 100". This film doesn't have the usual cardboard covering, just a
plastic film canister. The 35mm cartridge on some of them was a bit
scratched etc, so I was suspect it was old stock. But it was very cheap, so
I grabbed a couple of rolls (along with a few rolls of their slide film
since I hate their normal consumer films so much). Well what can I say but
it blew me away - gorgeous colours, fine grain, good detail in shadows and
highlights - far nicer than any consumer grade film that I have ever tried.
I have searched for it on Kodak's website (suspecting maybe it was a pro
film) and haven't found anything. I have since asked other retailers about
it and they give dumb looks. This morning I was passing through the town
again and they still had some so I grabbed several rolls - I asked the lady
behind the counter about it, and she didn't know how it fitted in the range,
she just knew it was cheap and that it was a limited special buy they got.

Does anyone know how this film fits into Kodak's range? is it discontinued?

--
-------------------------------------
Australia: Love it, or leave it!

Old October 4th 04, 04:13 AM
parv

in message ,
wrote Graham Fountain ...

the only shop in town was a kodak only shop, no fuji stuff at all,
and they had these usual kodak films, but also had some very cheap
rolls of "Kodak Gold 100". This film doesn't have the usual
cardboard covering, just a plastic film canister. The 35mm
cartridge on some of them was a bit scratched etc, so I was
suspect it was old stock.

Does anyone know how this film fits into Kodak's range? is it
discontinued?

Kodak Gold 100 was/is the consumer line of film. It (at least the
name, can't say about emulsion) had been running for quite some time
at least since late 80s. After it, i think, "Max" marquee came out
(to replace plain Gold 400).

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

Old October 4th 04, 03:21 PM
Alan Browne

Graham Fountain wrote:

[...]

For the US at least, Gold/Royal Gold don't appear on the Kodak site anymore.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Old October 4th 04, 04:13 PM
Warren B. Hapke

Alan Browne wrote:
: Graham Fountain wrote:

: Does anyone know how this film fits into Kodak's range? is it discontinued?
:

Kodak Gold 100 used to be the name of Kodak's standard (non-T-grain) ISO
100 consumer film. At around here (Champaign-Urbana IL, USA), it's still
available at most large discount stores. A pack of 4 24 exposure roles
costs about $6 to $7.

: For the US at least, Gold/Royal Gold don't appear on the Kodak site anymore.

: http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

If you go to the data sheet for Kodak Bright Sun 100 speed film,
it says "Kodak Bright Sun Film / GA, Kodak Gold 100 Film / GA".
This indicates that Kodak has just renamed the film, but not discontinued
it.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...28/e2328.shtml

Warren B. Hapke

: --
: -- rec.photo.equipment.35mm user resource:
: --
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
: -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--
Old October 4th 04, 05:21 PM
Jeremy

Kodak Gold 100 used to be the name of Kodak's standard (non-T-grain) ISO
100 consumer film. At around here (Champaign-Urbana IL, USA), it's still
available at most large discount stores. A pack of 4 24 exposure roles
costs about $6 to $7.

I found it in case lots at a local discount grocer in Philadelphia, packed 4
rolls to a box, at $2.99 per box. I picked up 4 boxes (16 rolls) and I
haven't yet tried it.

My understanding is that this film replaced Kodacolor (or was it called
Kodacolor-II?) in the mid 1980s. Someone on this NG commented on it awhile
back that this was Kodak's entry to compete with very low priced or private
label consumer films. I do not believe that Kodak goes out of their way to
advertise this film in the USA.

I am surprised to read the OP's comment that this film is superior to the
T-grain emulsions that are Kodak's current standard consumer offerings.

Old October 4th 04, 11:00 PM
Graham Fountain

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Graham Fountain wrote:

For the US at least, Gold/Royal Gold don't appear on the Kodak site
anymore.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Yeah it was the US site that I had been searching for it. The Australian
Kodak site is broken - any place where you can choose film from their
product listing it takes you back to their home page. I have heard people
saying that Kodak have totally stopped doing film in Australia - I don't
know if it is just a rumour or not but a lot of people have told me that. I
did know that a few months ago they stopped doing Kodachrome in Australia,
and the one lab here that could process it no longer does. There's only a
couple of labs in my entire state that do E-6 processing now too - as much
as I hate it to admit it, maybe film is almost dead.

Old October 5th 04, 12:57 AM

I rang the free Kodak number a few weeks ago and was told about the
withdrawl of Kodachrome from the Australian market and the closure of
Kodachrome processing, any prepaid Kodachrome sent to them will be
passed on to their processing plant in Switzerland. They said other
Kodak films are not affected, I sent a roll of Elitechrome to Kodak
for processing a couple of days ago. The minilab that sent it say
there are no changes with processing it.

Mike

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:00:03 GMT, "Graham Fountain"
wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..