Newbie question - Correct exposure for Velvia

Old September 11th 04, 04:11 AM
Ivan

Good answers everybody!
ivan

Old September 11th 04, 06:39 AM
Leigh Marrin/KM6JE

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
Generally speaking one does not use automatic exposure with slide
films. One uses manual exposure and brackets a little when the subject
matter allows it.

"Manual Exposure": Scarpittiese for [1] putting batteries in the
much-automated SLR, [2] turning on the light meter, [3] twisting a dial,
[4] looking down upon those who own cameras capable of skipping one or
more of the previous steps.

Old September 11th 04, 09:42 PM
Martin Djernæs

Hi,

Alan Browne wrote:

To shoot slide film you must compose scenes where everything you want in
detail fits in the exposure latitude of the film. An in-camera spot
meter is very useful to "survey" the scene to make sure it fits in the
latitude of the film.

I know all the theories (I think) about this, but somehow I seem not to
be able to do a good judgement of the scene when I try to meeter
(partial) my nature pictures.

Does anyone know a good writeup, with image examples, which try to give
some hints as to how to judge the colors.

As an example I could take a picture I took of a mountain in the late
evening. It was a bit hazy and the mountain had some snow on the top. In
some pictures (I bracket) the montain was not on the picture at all
(overexposed so the mountain and the haze was one in color).

Martin
Old September 12th 04, 01:49 AM
Uranium Committee

Leigh Marrin/KM6JE wrote in message ...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:
Generally speaking one does not use automatic exposure with slide
films. One uses manual exposure and brackets a little when the subject
matter allows it.

"Manual Exposure": Scarpittiese for [1] putting batteries in the
much-automated SLR, [2] turning on the light meter, [3] twisting a dial,
[4] looking down upon those who own cameras capable of skipping one or
more of the previous steps.

You misunderstood Scarpitti's post.

Old September 12th 04, 05:01 AM
Peter Irwin

PGG wrote:

But what does "manual exposure" mean? Pointing my light meter at a
subject and entering the shutter speed and f-stop into my camera?

Manual exposure means setting shutter speed and aperture
based on whatever method you choose to determine the
exposure you want.

When you use auto-exposure plus compensation, you set the
compensation based on experience in second-guessing your
camera's automatic settings.

You should use whatever method works best for you.

Peter.
---