Magnificent advancements in digital!

Old September 9th 04, 01:36 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Default Magnificent advancements in digital!

Okay, I was, for some indeterminate reason, poking around in the photo
department of Wal-Mart yesterday, and for those unfamiliar with this line of
stores, they are a do-it-all-halfass chain of department stores specializing
in snack foods...

So I was chatting with the woman staffing the photo department about the
wonderful range of digital cameras they offer there, most of which I would
have trouble finding in the same pocket as my keys. What came next stunned
me though, as I was informed that some digitals have now advanced beyond
35mm cameras - they go up to 38mm!

Is this true? Is it time to ditch my Canon (and Olympus) stuff and go
with the superior benefits of 38mm? That's nearly a ten percent increase,
which beats hell out of my pay raises the past couple of years.

I have little reason to distrust her, since she told me about using her
OM-PC (35mm) outfit for the past 24 years, but finally relented and got
herself a Kodak digital camera that produced, and I kid you not, *4*, that's
right, *four* megapixels. If pixels were dollars, that would mean two thirds
of a bionic man, just to put this in perspective.

I'm torn. I mean, I would love a camera with controls I have to operate
with my fingernails, not to mention never having to change lenses, but my
photography clothes aren't accessorized for grey plastic cameras, and this
would mean an additional expense to remain fashionable. Is this justified
for that 10% increase, in the long run I mean?

Looking for input,

- Al.

P.S. Alan, this is NOT my entry for SI-FI, since I think you said those had
to be made up...

--
To reply, insert a dash between "wading" and "in".
Please excuse the changed format, I'm working remotely.

Old September 9th 04, 01:41 PM
Doug Payne

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

I'm torn. I mean, I would love a camera with controls I have to operate
with my fingernails, not to mention never having to change lenses, but my
photography clothes aren't accessorized for grey plastic cameras, and this
would mean an additional expense to remain fashionable.

You mean you forgot to ask about the automatic accessory clothing 50%
discount they offer with all 38mm camera purchases??? Boy, they sure saw
you coming!

Old September 9th 04, 01:49 PM
Jim Phelps

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
Okay, I was, for some indeterminate reason, poking around in the photo
department of Wal-Mart yesterday, and for those unfamiliar with this line
of
stores, they are a do-it-all-halfass chain of department stores
specializing
in snack foods...

Hey, Wrong forum. This is the 35mm group, not the 38mm group...

That's what you get for poking around in Wal-Mart. FYI, they have them here
in Europe as well...

Don't let her get her hands on one with a Zoom lens that goes up to 70mm.
She'll think it's a Medium Format:~)))

Old September 9th 04, 03:18 PM
Jeremy

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message

I have little reason to distrust her, since she told me about using

her
OM-PC (35mm) outfit for the past 24 years, but finally relented and got
herself a Kodak digital camera that produced, and I kid you not, *4*,

that's
right, *four* megapixels.

She is typical of the millions of consumers that are abandoning film and are
quite content with the results they get from digital cameras.

She and others like her are the reason that film manufacturing and
distribution are now mature industries, and will likely decline drastically.

Even though her remarks were amusing, it was the millions of consumers like
her that made photographic film and products so readily accessible to those
of us that had a more intense interest in photography. Give it 10 years,
and I'll bet you will have to buy film either at specialty stores or by mail
order--certainly not at every corner drug store or department store.

So, while she may have been funny, her remarks were tragic, too.

Old September 9th 04, 04:02 PM
jimkramer

"Jeremy" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Good points, Jeremy, but where do you get most of your film now?

Jim Kramer

Old September 9th 04, 05:21 PM
S Lee

Al Denelsbeck choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to
spell out:

Okay, I was, for some indeterminate reason, poking around in the
photo department of Wal-Mart yesterday, and for those unfamiliar with
this line of stores, they are a do-it-all-halfass chain of department
stores specializing in snack foods...

Well, it's good to see that you and at least a small portion of
Florida have made it through the most recent hurricane OK...

Best question I heard recently involved whether a Pentax 90WR could
be used as a manual SLR.

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!