Canon 28-135mm EF IS F/3.5-5.6 US lens

Old October 3rd 04, 05:04 PM
Alan Browne

Fred McKenzie wrote:

Questions on this ng regarding the dismantling of lenses typically
draw a "don't do it" reply. We are, in the main, photographers, not camera and

lens repair people.

Alan-

No doubt you are correct regarding the people who hang out here. But it IS an
"equipment" newsgroup!

I've been known to disassemble a lens. (All right, it was from an Argus C-3.)
Quite by chance, I found an internal element spacer that was non-symmetrical
and had been reversed. By re-reversing it, the original problem went away.
Then I was faced with the problem of re-aligning both the lens and the
rangefinder, using ground-glass in the film plane.

Assuming you had the necessary tools, and that the Canon lens could be
carefully disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, you would then be faced with
realignment, or at least verifying it. Equipment required for such a
sophisticated lens would be more expensive than the lens.

The point above went to the fact that Jim was frustrated at the lack of positive
support for his needs, and one of the cynical replies. My reply above was
simply that he shouldn't be surprised that nobody in attendance couldn't offer
'go ahead' advice as nobody here had done anything with that lens (it is also a
fairly recent vintage lens, it is complex as well ... and still under
warranty!). Had this group been in existance 20 years ago (when the internet
was a rational, calm place...), there would likely have been more
do-it-yourself'ers to help Jim out... of course most lenses were simpler then...)

Cheers,
Alan

--
"There is no such thing as inaccuracy in a photograph.
All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth."
Old October 4th 04, 02:07 PM
jimkramer

"S Lee" wrote in message
Just for the sake of reference:

http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/

...but it's just for available parts, not assembly instructions.

--
| __ "The Internet is where lunatics are
| (__ * _ _ _ _ internetworked worldwide at the speed of light.
| __)|| | |(_)| \ *This* is progress?" --J. Shinal

Thank you,

Jim Kramer