D60 MEETS HUMMERS HEAD ON !!

Old September 13th 04, 06:47 AM
Dan

As a Libertarian, I am a fiscal conservative, and a social liberal. In every
election, I have to choose between my heart and my pocketbook. In the case
of the presidency, I believe that the president has no business messing with
these social issues, which I believe are states rights issues, and since I
have over 1/2 million dollars invested in the stock market, I have to vote
Republican in order to protect my investment, since the Democrats believe in
higher taxes, and sticking it to the "rich". (and I perceive myself to be,
or at least aspire to being, "rich".) In local elections, I will frequently
vote Democratic, or, at least, for selected Democrats that believe in the
social issues that I support. (Things like gay marriage, or removing the
words, "in God We Trust" from our money.) But in a presidential election, my
money goes, where my money goes, every time.......

I'm not a liberatarian, but a true independant. Have to say that your
opinions sound more "Republican" than Libertarian to me. A
Liberaterian would follow the money, not the party.

I make good money and have a lot tied up in investments. Not rich, but
I'm in the upper couple of percent for household income. In other
words, I'm one of those Bush is supposed to be helping. Not so.

Have you checked your tax bill lately? In the past two years, my
income has risen and so have my taxes. I asked my accountant where the
hell was my big tax break, and he said I needed to earn over $500K to
get any significant relief.

btw, my taxes went down under Clinton. Could be coincidence, but Bush
has done nothing for me financially, other than to saddle us with a
huge dept that even my kids won't be able to pay off.

Dan

Old September 13th 04, 01:56 PM
Sander Vesik

William Graham wrote:

If that's true, then I stand corrected. I thought that 2/3 of congress was
enough. I don't remember ever having a popular election to vote for/against
any constitutional amendment.........

There aren't. The amendment is not ratified by the popular vote in the
states but by the state congresses. Or rather - no state has bothered
to make it a matter of public vote, even though they could.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++