What is Kodak 200-8 film?

Old September 15th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D.M. Procida

Default What is Kodak 200-8 film?

I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

Daniele
Old September 15th 12, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kodak+200-8

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.
Old September 15th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D.M. Procida

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kodak+200-8

If you had actually bothered to perform a web search you would have
discovered that:

a) a number of people have also asked what the film is, and have not
found a conclusive answer, and

b) that no-one seems to have come up with a very good negative profile
for VueScan.

It wouldn't have taken you very long.

Daniele
Old September 15th 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.15 17:31 , D.M. Procida wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kodak+200-8

If you had actually bothered to perform a web search you would have
discovered that:

a) a number of people have also asked what the film is, and have not
found a conclusive answer, and

b) that no-one seems to have come up with a very good negative profile
for VueScan.

It wouldn't have taken you very long.

If you had bothered to read the very first Google Search response you
would have discovered that it is indeed ColorPlus film and that said
film has a dodgy reputation.

As such, serious people doing serious scanning have not used it or
developed profiles for it and that is why you cannot find one.

If you have a good reference scan, however, you should be able to
develop settings that are adequate for a film that does not have high
expectations in the first place.

Or failing that, ask Tony "Bruce" Polson. He's expert in everything and
likely took his Paris March cover photo with that very film.

Old September 15th 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

Can you post some examples? One person's "wildly" is another person's
"slightly". Also scan it as a positive and post that.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

I used Kodak Gold 100 many times and it scanned well enough without
using any particular profile other than "color negative" as default.
(probably used the Minolta scanning s/w at the time and not VueScan).

I do recall it casted blue or green a bit so you can just push it
towards yellow or magenta as needed in post.

Old September 16th 12, 09:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D.M. Procida

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

So, there is indeed some mystery about this film.

Daniele
Old September 16th 12, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.16 04:48 , D.M. Procida wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

So, there is indeed some mystery about this film.

Not really.

Did you re-scan as I suggested?

Old September 20th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
D.M. Procida

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

So, there is indeed some mystery about this film.

Not really.

Perhaps you should make up your mind then, because you seem not at all
sure.

Did you re-scan as I suggested?

No, I did as Noons suggested, which was more useful and less blustery.

Daniele
Old September 20th 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

On 2012.09.15 16:01 , D.M. Procida wrote:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

I've found other references that make it = Kodak Gold 200.

So, there is indeed some mystery about this film.

Not really.

Perhaps you should make up your mind then, because you seem not at all
sure.

Perhaps you should read the articles revealed by the prior Google Search.

To make it clear enough for you, 200-8 is sold as Kodak Gold. But that
line also seemed to have other consumer labels like ColorPlus. I have
some Gold here and the markings are similar (100-4 and so on).

Ambiguous compared to their higher end films (E100G, 160VC etc).

Suffice it to say that it's ordinary, consumer color negative film and
should be no real issue to get right in VueScan (etc.) with a bit of
testing.

Did you re-scan as I suggested?

No, I did as Noons suggested, which was more useful and less blustery.

So you did re-scan.

I had to go look in GG - his suggestion is no different in the end than
what I suggested - except that I added the recollection of that film
tending to blue and/or green.

What did you find in terms of needed corrections? Just curious.

As to his claim that I don't shoot film - he's just spouting off with
his typical abrasive ignorance.

I shoot and scan 35mm and MF (6x6) color slide and positive regularly
(much less in the last couple years to be sure). I haven't done any B&W
in a while though.

Old September 16th 12, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

D.M. Procida wrote,on my timestamp of 16/09/2012 6:01 AM:
I have some negatives; I thought they were shot on Kodak Gold, but the
negatives say "Kodak 200-8", and it could be ColorPlus.

Anyway, I'd like to find the best negative profile for VueScan; each
profile gives wildly different results.

Daniele

Just use auto adjust and then use slight manual trimmingsd: it does the same as
profiles, with a wider range. I doubt you won't be able to correct for any film
that way.