B&H

Old January 6th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default B&H

"Little Green Eyed Dragon" wrote in
message
In article
,
"Charles Self" wrote:

Well, sure. Doesn't any sane person. The local dealer used to be
marvelous,
Ewald-Clark, in Roanoke, until Ritz bought the place.

I live in the sticks too ;-) I equate Ritz with Walmart, I worked for
Ritz at one point. Both places lower the bar in ways that shouldn't be
legal- IMOP.

In some ways my career (photo) would be much easier if I lived closer to
downtown.

Yeah, well so would mine, especially if I still lived 90 minutes from NYC,
but I moved nearly 30 years ago and only regret it in alternate decades. But
now, I live in rural Virginia, 10 miles from the nearest town and about 35
from the nearest city. I tried small city living a couple years ago, and was
delighted to return here. Sure, the money's better, but the costs are
incredible.

Old January 7th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Eric B. wrote:
"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" wrote in
message ...
Paul Rubin wrote:

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes writes:
As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not
sure why I
got this message. After some checking they told me that they
wanted to fax my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

It doesn't surprise me.

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit
card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

That would be a good reason.

I thought so... I remember that there was a break-in at some
database in the
US last summer(?) where a lot of credit-card information was stolen.
It might be that B&H will ensure that the owner of my card is legal
due to this break-in.

You could probably get the same stuff for less than $5,000 at another
store. B&H ain't cheap. Try Tristate Photo.

Eric B.

Are you DELIBERATELY sending him to crap? -Or are you just ignorant?

Old January 7th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
Lorem Ipsum wrote:

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" wrote in
message ...

As you can se, no reason.

Ach, computers.

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit
card. Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

Are you bragging or complaining? Yes, that's likely the reason.
It's a good idea. We do want B&H to stay in business.

I'm only asking, because previously they have processed my order
within 24 hours.

They often process my orders within less than 2 hours for overnight
shipment.
-Nothing quite like B&H.

Old January 9th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Yesterday I made an order for some new equipment at B&H. First I got a
mail that confirmed my order. The, about an hour later, I got a message
that said:

Please be advised that your order cannot be processed due to
the following reason(s):

Please contact us:

Please call us at 212-502-6349 or 800-622-6265.

As you can se, no reason. I called them and first they was not sure why I
got this message. After some checking they told me that they wanted to fax
my bank to verify my card. Is this normal behaviour?

This is the 4th time I order stuff from them, using the same credit card.
Maybe it is due to the large value (~ $6000).

After waiting nearly a week, B&H have done nothing (as I see it). My order
is still "in Processing". I have e-mailed them, but all I get back is a
auto-generated reply.

Is there any GOOD alternativs to B&H? I still can cancel my order and get
the stuff from other places.

There are two expensive things I want: I canon 400 mm F 4.0 L IS USM and a
LowePro Photo Trekker AW II.

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/Foto/
Old January 10th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Is there any GOOD alternativs to B&H? I still can cancel my order and get
the stuff from other places.

Of course. Adorama has as good a reputation as B&H.

Old January 10th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 9 Jan 2006 17:28:01 -0800, "cjcampbell"
wrote:

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Is there any GOOD alternativs to B&H? I still can cancel my order and get
the stuff from other places.

Of course. Adorama has as good a reputation as B&H.

Back in October when I ordered my Canon Rebel XT and a couple of lenses
I received a similar message. The next day I received a phone call from my
credit card company to verify that I was actually putting that much money
on my card.... it was so much more than I normally put on my card, they
thought perhaps my card had been stolen. After verification the charge
went through and my order was shipped.
Jack Mac
Old January 10th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Is there any GOOD alternativs to B&H? I still can cancel my order and
get the stuff from other places.

Of course. Adorama has as good a reputation as B&H.

Back in October when I ordered my Canon Rebel XT and a couple of lenses
I received a similar message. The next day I received a phone call from my
credit card company to verify that I was actually putting that much money
on my card.... it was so much more than I normally put on my card, they
thought perhaps my card had been stolen. After verification the charge
went through and my order was shipped.

That's what B&H told me to. But it took 5 days before they continued to
process my order. After I posted my message to this list yesterday, I
received a mail from B&H that told me my order has been shipped :-)

Old January 10th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

J?rn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
J?rn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

Is there any GOOD alternativs to B&H? I still can cancel my order and
get the stuff from other places.

Of course. Adorama has as good a reputation as B&H.

Back in October when I ordered my Canon Rebel XT and a couple of lenses
I received a similar message. The next day I received a phone call from my
credit card company to verify that I was actually putting that much money
on my card.... it was so much more than I normally put on my card, they
thought perhaps my card had been stolen. After verification the charge
went through and my order was shipped.

That's what B&H told me to. But it took 5 days before they continued to
process my order. After I posted my message to this list yesterday, I
received a mail from B&H that told me my order has been shipped :-)

It is possible that the five day period contained a religious
holiday. They don't work on religious holidays.

This can be a pain, but in my experience and in the experience
of others, B&H is about as reliable a store as you will find
anywhere.

It is also the largest camera store in the US and possibly in
the world. They got that way from repeat business from
satisfied customers.

This does not mean that there was no screwup. That happens.
Did you talk to Customer Service?

---- Paul J. Gans

Old January 10th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul J Gans wrote:

wrote:

J?rn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
J?rn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

[...]

Never thought about religious holidays... And yes, I e-mailed the sales
department two hours before i got the e-mail that my order has been
shipped.
Nice feature that you can track it through UPS.

Old January 11th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
I called the 212-number, since I live in Norway. The did only ask for the
reference number... no credit card information. If they have asked, I would
not have given them it.

The did not ask for any information from me. They should send a fax to my
bank and I suspected it was to verify that my card was OK.

This was Verification, the purpose of which is to deter credit card
fraud and identity theft. I am sorry if it disconcerted you at all.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.