Fishkin Bros. Camera To Go Out Of Business

Old December 3rd 04, 07:51 PM
Jeremy

Default Fishkin Bros. Camera To Go Out Of Business

For 90 years they were a fixture in New York suburb of Perth Amboy, New
Jersey. They had quite a following--amateurs and professionals from New
York to Philadelphia, and the entire state of New Jersey.

Why? Because they knew their stuff, and did not treat their customers like
those New York camera stores. They had a broad inventory and their prices,
while a bit high, reflected the level of support they gave you.

If you needed refrigerated professional film, they had it. If you needed
repairs on virtually anything photographic, they could arrange for it. If
you wanted to trade in your equipment, they'd try to accommodate you. They
had a really good used department, for those that wanted to get in cheaply.

I bought my first 35mm camera and lens there--a Pentax Spotmatic IIa with
50mm SMC Takumar lens. I still own, and use, that camera--30 years later!

Fishkin Bros. also sold sporting goods--bicycles, models, Lionel trains,
you-name-it. They must've been hit hard by the shopping malls that became
dominant in the late 70s, because they turned most of their store over to
photographic gear. This was a niche that they clearly dominated. Fishkin's
wasn't no Ritz Camera--they were the real deal!

When I last visited the store this past summer, I noticed that the store
seemed a bit empty. Still lots of new and used Hassy lenses, but the Pentax
line was gone. Nikon and Contax were available, as was the refrigerated
professional films. But the used equipment was cut back substantially. In
the front window, they had P&S models on display--with signs that said
cameras were available starting at $39.99--not exactly the kind of sales
figures that would pay the bills for them.

Earlier this week they announced that they would be gone by the end of the
month. They were selling their building and throwing in the towel after 9
decades, and after having built up all that good-will.

The reason: The Digital Explosion.

Specialty shops like that depended upon those recurring small-ticket sales,
like film sales and photofinishing (they were the only place in town that
had Kodak processing. The messenger stopped by every day). Their sales of
darkroom chemicals, papers, darkroom supplies--all withered away. I hadn't
given it much thought, but those peripheral sales, small-ticket though they
were, were the bread-and-butter items for that store. They were the sales
that kept the register ringing. If they didn't sell a new Hasselblad and
lens today, they still made enough to see a modest profit.

No more.

The entire digital environment works against the local camera specialty
retailer. Digital was made for mail-order. You can get your cartridges,
printing paper and software at either a big electronics retailer or by
mail/internet. Who needs to drive 50 miles from home, to go to the only
real photographic supply store in New Jersey?

Even if you've never been to Perth Amboy, NJ and never heard of Fishkin
Brothers, there is a lesson to be learned from their story. The current
state of affairs in the world of photography is driving guys like them out
of business, all across the country. Those bread-and-butter consumables
sales are drying up fast, and it is polarizing the camera business. Either
the shop tries to compete in the high-volume market or it dies a natural
death. And we all know that there is not room for more than a few B&H
Photos in this country.

So raise a glass to the memory of Fishkin Bros Sporting Goods tonight. They
were the real deal--and places like that are going, and won't be coming
back.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:06 PM
Paul Bielec

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I agree with you. It is sad but that's life. A business has to adapt in
order to survive. I have a similar story to yours.

In the '20, my grandfather opened his first photo studio in Lwow (used to be
Poland, it is Ukraine today).
Just before WWII he moved to Cracow where, although he passed away 2 years
ago, the family shop is still running.
My grandfather was the most renown portrait photographer in Cracow. He also
had a Masters diploma from the Fine Art Academy. Everybody wanted to have
their passport, wedding, graduation, first communion etc. picture taken at
the family studio.
You can see some pictures at the following links:
http://www.foto-bielec.art.pl/
http://www.mhf.krakow.pl/wystawy/bielec/
In the first link in "Galeria 1" as well as the second link's second picture
from the top on the right is a 19yo Karol Wojtyla, better known as Pope John
Paul II. Picture taken on a glass negative. The camera you can see in the
picture with my grandfather still works and makes better pictures that any
of the cameras the studio owns.

Until recently professional photographer diploma and association membership
was required in order to run a photo studio. It is not required anymore.
Anybody can buy a digital camera with printer and open a studio selling
****ty pictures dirt cheap.
My aunt has no choice, she can't beat the price, she has to beat the
quality. She struggles hoping that, eventually, people will get tired of bad
pictures and will be willing to spend money for professional work again.
Meanwhile, in order to survive, she bought a digital camera as well. But
there is as much effort put in producing high quality digital pictures that
there was with film pictures.
The digital made the photography more available. But even the most expensive
digital or film camera doesn't make one a photographer.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:28 PM
Ken Rosenbaum

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

So raise a glass to the memory of Fishkin Bros Sporting Goods tonight.

They
were the real deal--and places like that are going, and won't be coming
back.

Jeremy,
Thanks for a lovely, well-written essay. Those of us who have been
photographers for many years join you in mourning the passing of such an
institution.
Ken