View Camera Books, Ratings

Old October 1st 04, 10:46 PM
John McGraw

Default View Camera Books, Ratings

Hi All
This is a large request to make. If you feel like doing it & have the
time, I would appreciate it very much if you would participate in my
pole:
Most of the participants of this News Group have probably read at
least one book about view cameras. This being election time ‘an all,
I'd like to take a pole. How do you rate the View Camera book(s) you
have read? Please rate as many books as you want on a scale of 1 to 5.
Whether it's in print or not doesn't matter, neither does price. I've
started it off with some I'm aware of, please feel free to add as many
as you like. You don't really have to name the author, but I'd really
like to see a rating. You can use the same rating # more that once.
I'm doing this to help me save $$$ & time.
(Also, please, no exclusively darkroom or film books. Just from the
ground glass forward.)
Thank You So Much, John

TITLE AUTHOR RATING 1 TO 5 COMMENTS

Using the View Camera Steve Simmons

View camera technique,
7th Edition Leslie Stroebel

User's Guide to the
View Camera 2nd Ed Jim Stone

Professional Interior
Photography 3rd Ed Michael Harris

Professional Architectural
Photography Michael Harris

Photographing Buildings
Inside & Out Norman McGrath

Large Format Nature
Photography Jack W. Dykinga

Cerative Large Format
Sinar Edition Urs Tillmanns 2 Too much
Sinar sales
propaganda!
Old October 2nd 04, 04:15 AM
Tom Phillips

What's the purpose of your poll?

I wouldn't consider books like McGrath's Photographing Buildings
a 'view camera' book. It's not about view cameras or view camera
technique, but architecture and lighting.

Old October 2nd 04, 04:29 AM
Leonard Evens

John McGraw wrote:
[...]

These books have different purposes so I don't think a numerical rating
makes sense. You can't compare them to one another.

TITLE AUTHOR RATING 1 TO 5 COMMENTS

Using the View Camera Steve Simmons A good introduction

View camera technique,
7th Edition Leslie Stroebel Encyclopedic and the

standard reference

User's Guide to the
View Camera 2nd Ed Jim Stone Not quite as encylcopedic as

but contains a lot of useful information, some not in other books.

Professional Interior
Photography 3rd Ed Michael Harris Don't know it

Professional Architectural
Photography Michael Harris Don't know it

Photographing Buildings
Inside & Out Norman McGrath A good general introdution to

architectural photography, but I wish it talked more about basic
principles.

Large Format Nature
Photography Jack W. Dykinga Exceelent introduction to

large format nature photography which also provides lots of insight
about view camera use in general.