Comedy in camera reviews, Dpreview and the E-P1

Old August 4th 09, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Default Comedy in camera reviews, Dpreview and the E-P1

"Rich" wrote in message

The lenses are almost completely
plastic except for the glass in them.

????

Old August 4th 09, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

"Twibil" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 11:33 pm, "mianileng"
wrote:

The lenses are almost completely
plastic except for the glass in them.

????

In SLR or DSLR terms, the "lens" means the entire
interchangable unit
on the front of the camera, not just the glass lens elements
themselves. (The lenses interchange so that the camera user has
a much
wider choice of focal lengths and effects available than would
otherwise be the case; Usenet trolls notwithstanding.)

Oh, I know that much. The sentence by itself was such an apparent
oxymoron that I couldn't resist.

Used to be that SLR lenses were made almost entirely of metal
and
glass. These days, much of that metal has been superseded by
high-
grade engineering plastics, which gives *other* Usenet trolls
something to obsess over.

You'll get no argument from me on that.

Old August 4th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Rich wrote:
I love how the plastic lovers use terms like, "high grade engineering
plastics" instead of just polycarbonate.

It's idiotic how the morons whine about "plastic" when they don't even
know why.

High grade?? They make the
Sony's out of scrap!

Just like every other camera is made with scrap, including yours.

--
Ray Fischer

Old August 4th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Rich wrote:
On Aug 4, 4:00 am, Twibil wrote:

Used to be that SLR lenses were made almost entirely of metal
and
glass. These days, much of that metal has been superseded by
high-
grade engineering plastics, which gives *other* Usenet trolls
something to obsess over.

All of this has proven to be a windfall for the billygoat
market.

~Pete

I love how the plastic lovers use terms like, "high grade
engineering
plastics" instead of just polycarbonate. High grade?? They
make the
Sony's out of scrap!

I don't know how good those plastics are; but *if* they do the
job well and are durable, why not? And if Sony and other
companies reduce pollution by recycling scrap, kudos to them.

As for the terminology, just about everyone knows that there are
good and bad materials (and all shades in between) made from the
same basic formula. Think vinyl, steel, glass, paint, brick, etc.
The name "engineering plastics" is a well established engineering
term (not marketing hype) to distinguish them from lower-grade
"commodity plastics".

Old August 4th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:48:39 -0700 (PDT), Rich
wrote:

On Aug 4, 4:00*am, Twibil wrote:
[...]

Every car in the world is made out of scrap. Scrap steel. Scrap
aluminium. Scrap copper. Scrap plastic. And why shouldn't they be? To
do otherwise is wasteful.

Eric Stevens
Old August 5th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Twibil wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:48 am, Rich wrote:
I love how the plastic lovers use terms like, "high grade engineering
plastics" instead of just polycarbonate. High grade?? They make the
Sony's out of scrap!

Ah, Richie me boy, ye might almost have had a point there if only I
were a "plastic lover".

Alas for you, I'm simply someone who's aware that engineering
decisions are based on a multitude of factors, that there are seldom
"elegant solutions" that satisfy everyone, that times change, machines
evolve, and that there are usually multiple solutions to technical
questions.

I'm also someone who's aware that metals, just like plastics, are
frequently recycled.

And thank God for that!

On the other hand, maybe Rich would like a camera made out of freshly
mined iron ore.......

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 5th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Twibil wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:24 pm, Twibil wrote:
Of course the repaired bow works perfectly well, my customer is
thrilled, and by using "plastic" I was able to salvage a valuable
piece when the old methods would not have sufficed; but to minds that
think "plastic" has only one meaning -and that that meaning is "new-
fangled junk"- success is not the criteria: it's the idea itself that
repluses them.

Er, make that "repulses them".

Danm dyslexia...

Lboody right.

I wonder if high grade alternate materials were available back then, if
Stradivarius would have at the least experimented with them. Also
wondering- was he a genius or just had access to some really good stock?
(Obviously a very talented craftsman at the least.)

--
John McWilliams
Old August 5th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Twibil wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:24 pm, Twibil wrote:
[...]

He probably used recycled wood.

Old August 5th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 08:53:56 -0700, John McWilliams
wrote:

Twibil wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:24 pm, Twibil wrote:
Of course the repaired bow works perfectly well, my customer is
thrilled, and by using "plastic" I was able to salvage a valuable
piece when the old methods would not have sufficed; but to minds that
think "plastic" has only one meaning -and that that meaning is "new-
fangled junk"- success is not the criteria: it's the idea itself that
repluses them.

Er, make that "repulses them".

Danm dyslexia...

Lboody right.

I wonder if high grade alternate materials were available back then, if
Stradivarius would have at the least experimented with them. Also
wondering- was he a genius or just had access to some really good stock?
(Obviously a very talented craftsman at the least.)

He had the luck to live at a time when the wood he had to work with
came from slow-growing dense-grain cold-climate trees. Even by his
life time the climate was warming and those trees were available no
more.

Eric Stevens
Old August 5th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

wrote:

Twibil wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:24 pm, Twibil wrote:
[...]

My understanding was, both Stradivari & Guaneri crafted excellence in
their instruments by introducing varying thicknesses in the wood
panels, and the quality and unique formula of their varnishes applied
in multi-layers.
The wood they had to work with didn't hurt either.

I am sure if they were around today, they might be working in carbon-fiber.

Savageduck