Nikon D200 and Photoshop CS2 / Bridge

Old January 21st 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Nikon D200 and Photoshop CS2 / Bridge

Hi there,

I notice when using bridge to preview NEF RAW files, I only get a
small thumbnail in the preview window.

This makes it harder to decide which shots are worth opening for
further processing.

Has anyone else found the same thing.

I also noticed when using one of the Jpeg settings on the D200, that
the shutter speed is not included in the metadata when you look at the
file info. It's recorded in the camera, but does not seem to get as
far as the open file. In fact, it seems that you cant see any of the
file info until after you open the file, but even then the shutter
speed is missing from jpeg images.

Anyone have any ideas, or am I missing something simple.

Thanks for any help.

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html

Old January 21st 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The message
from George Dingwall contains these words:

[...]

George,

Have you downloaded Camera Raw 3.3, which supports the D200, and removed
'Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi' from the following folder:
....\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats

That will give you the full size thumbnails and use the full Camera Raw
Converter application rather than the basic NEF importer. It works really
well. The chromatic aberration tool has much finer adjustment than the one
incorporated into CS2, for example.

Here's a snippit from the Camera Raw 3.3 readme:

Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Creative Suite 2:
Windows ® :
1. Exit Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Bridge.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Double-click Local Disk (C.
4. Navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats.
5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for
example, a new folder on your
desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into
the same folder as
Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.

--
Gavin
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/
Old January 21st 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hi there,

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:42:59 -0800, "This old Bob"
wrote:

Dumb question: Is the D200 supported by ACR yet?

The new version does. V3.3. There was a beta release available that
did not.

Hope this helps.

.. .

Old January 21st 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:46:54 GMT, Gavin Shaw
wrote:

Hi Gavin,

Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't actually
have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview the D200 NEF
files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only get a very small
thumbnail.

Click on this link to see what I mean

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.g...ges/Bridge.jpg

Once I get the files into ACR I'm OK. The question I was asking is,
should I be able to see full preview sized images from the D200 NEF
files. I do with D200 jpegs and all files from my D70.

Thanks for your help.

Old January 21st 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hi George,

Attached (by private email) to confirm you should be able to get the
auto-resizing preview is a screenshot of Bridge with the same layout
options per yours below.

I haven't managed to find any Bridge option which only gives a thumbnail
size preview.

My best guess is that there's a missing/misplaced/over-ridden .8bi
filter file, which is resulting in Bridge not using the best one.

Under the plug-ins folder for Bridge, I don't have any NEF or ACR
filter. Under the CS2\plug-ins\file formats\ folder I have the
Camera Raw.8bi filter, and no NEF filter.

That's me out of ideas.

Best regards,

Gavin

Old January 21st 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Hi Gavin,

Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't actually
have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview the D200 NEF
files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only get a very small
thumbnail.

Click on this link to see what I mean

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.g...ges/Bridge.jpg

Once I get the files into ACR I'm OK. The question I was asking is,
should I be able to see full preview sized images from the D200 NEF
files. I do with D200 jpegs and all files from my D70.

Thanks for your help.

[SNIP]

George,

Have you tried moving the thumbnail size slider (lower right, at the bottom of
the Bridge GUI)? On your screen capture, it is set to about 1/3. Does moving
it to the right not increase the thumbnail size?

I can only speak for ACR 3.2/Bridge and Nikon 70, but I can fill the thumb
window, however large I make it, with that slider.

Hunt

Old January 22nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

George Dingwall wrote:

Yes I now have the latest version of the ACR plugin. I don't
actually have a problem with the ACR plugin, it's when I preview
the D200 NEF files in bridge before I open them. In Bridge I only
get a very small thumbnail.

D200 images are showing fine for me in Bridge with ACR 3.3 installed.

Maybe try rebuilding the cache now that you have the new ACR?

Guy
Old January 22nd 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hi Gavin,

I didn't get your attachment, I have a size restriction set on the
email I use for news groups, but I imagine it shows a bridge window
with a full size preview.

As for the bit about .8bi files, I only have one copy of the ACR
filter on my machine, and I have removed the NEF filter that comes
with Nikon Capture.

Thanks for trying to help.

Old January 22nd 06, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 21 Jan 2006 22:51:26 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article ,

says...

wrote:

[...]

Hi Hunt,

Yes, I have moved the thumbnail slider. When I do the thumbnail and
the preview image stay exactly the same size as they show in my screen
shot.

This problem only occurs with D200 NEF files. It does not apply to
D200 jpegs or D70 NEFs or any other file I have on my system.

Thanks for trying to help.