Monitor calibration and color managed workflow question

Old December 19th 05, 10:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

Default Monitor calibration and color managed workflow question

Hi,

I bought a Colorvision Spyder and calibrated my monitor.
It really helped. However, I am not really sure how this
works and I fear I might be double-color-managing.

The Spyder generates an ICC profile, puts it somewhere
into windows directory and registers it with the graphics
card. On startup the ProfileChooser takes the default profile
and loads it into graphics card. That means that I am able
to see accurate colors with applications that are not
color managed - web browser, ...

What I do not understand is what happens when I edit the
photo in Photoshop Elements (I do not have the 'big' PS,
so I am not sure whether this is different there). If it
also uses the default profile taken from windows,
I get double color-managing. And I think this is really
the case - when I open the same image in the PSE and
in the default browser, it looks that the result is not
the same - there are subtle differences in skin tones.

How is this supposed to work? Is there any way to have
both the non-managed and managed applications to display
the same (i.e. let the Profile Chooser load the lookup
tables and tell the Photoshop etc. to use sRGB or whatever
the display expects when the conversion is done down
in the LUT)? Or does the PSE _always_ use the default
monitor profile, whatever that is?

Thanks
--
Stano
Old December 19th 05, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:

I thought this was the case as well, but was corrected by Bill Hilton. The
colors on non-managed apps will be better, but not as good as in a color
managed app.

Hmm...

How do you have color management set in PSE? IIRC, by default PSE3, which
I'm using a bit, sets full color management and uses the Adobe RGB color
space.

Yes, that's how I am using this.

So you will see a difference .

Ahhhh .. yes, you are right, it can well be that I compared
the picture that is in the Adobe RGB space - so that's why
I saw the difference.. OK, I'll repeat my tests with sRGB
picture and PSE set to sRGB space. Then the colors should
be the same in the PSE and other browsers, right?

What you don't want to do is double manage prints. Either use in the
application you are printing from or the print driver, but not both.

Yup. In fact I am trying to get the closest match possible
with my printer (Epson 1800) and regardless of what I am
using, I am still getting visible differences in exactly
the same colors, that the spyder touches the most.

Being a technical type, I would still like to fully understand
how the PSE, display profile and ProfileChooser play together
in this scenario - does anyone have a pointer to some technical
resources? Maybe I also try to contact Colorvision, as only
they know for sure what the ProfileChooser does.

Thanks
--
Stano
Old December 19th 05, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

"Stanislav Meduna" wrote in message
[...]

Hi there.

You are, like a great many other people, getting a little mixed up between
your Monitor Profile and the Working Space Profile.

Your Monitor Profile, "Spyder"ed one, is only for showing the corrected
colours on the screen. It adjusts the numbers from the Working Space
Profile ( Adobe RGB) to correct for any inherent errors in the colours your
Monitor would show.

Your Spyder software should have put the profile into the correct folder,
and made it the "Default" Monitor Profile. Check this in Display Properties
Settings Advanced Colour Management. It should be the only profile

there, and it should be set as "Default".

Any problems with Colour, could be due to Adobe Gamma. You need to remove
that from the "Start Up" Folder, because otherwise it will probably try to
adjust the Monitor Colour, Double Profiling.

You also need to get a Printer Profile, to ensure that your Printer gives
you the correct colours.

If your Scanner or Camera can not be set to "Tag" your images with Adobe RGB
as the Working Space Profile, or can not "Tag" any Profile, then they are
almost certainly working in sRGB.

The big problem with Elements is that you can not select which Profile to
use as Working Space, it just seems to
use Adobe RGB.

There will always be some differences in Colour between what you see on
Screen and what comes out of the Printer. In the Big PS you can use "Soft
Proof" to show what it will look like using the Printer Profile for whatever
Paper you plan to Print on. That is much closer, but is still not exact.

Roy G

Old December 19th 05, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

I thought this was the case as well, but was corrected by Bill Hilton. The
colors on non-managed apps will be better, but not as good as in a color
managed app.

Ahhhh .. yes, you are right, it can well be that I compared
the picture that is in the Adobe RGB space - so that's why
I saw the difference.. OK, I'll repeat my tests with sRGB
picture and PSE set to sRGB space. Then the colors should
be the same in the PSE and other browsers, right?

No. Having a profiled monitor means that any application that uses
colour management "knows" what the screen looks like. That means the
application can adjust its colour output such that it can show you what
your image will look like on any other device (such as a printer)
provided the application also has access to an accurate profile for the
other device.

Your web browser doesn't take note of colour profiles. It will make no
effort to adjust its output to match PSE or any other application. It
just throws the image onto the screen. If you want to see your image the
same in Photoshop and your browser, you have to tell Photoshop that's
what you want. Then Photoshop will also "throw the image onto the
screen" without fussing over profiles. Under the full Photoshop you do
that by selecting "Monitor RGB" as your soft-proof colour space. I'm not
sure how it works under PSE.
Old December 19th 05, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

Tesco News wrote:

Your Monitor Profile, "Spyder"ed one, is only for showing the corrected
colours on the screen. It adjusts the numbers from the Working Space
Profile ( Adobe RGB) to correct for any inherent errors in the colours your
Monitor would show.

OK, maybe this is something that I don't understand. My expectation
is that first the working space (whatever that is, sRGB or Adobe RGB)
gets converted to something independent (CIE Lab), using the
Adobe RGB ICC. Then this gets converted to whatever the monitor
expects using the monitor ICC. Am I right? Or does the PSE simply
feed the display with whatever binary pixel values it currently
has, expecting the graphics card to take care of that using the
Spyder-ed data?

Your Spyder software should have put the profile into the correct folder,
and made it the "Default" Monitor Profile. Check this in Display Properties
Settings Advanced Colour Management. It should be the only profile

there, and it should be set as "Default".

It is not the only one (I created profiles for two displays and more
brightness settings), but it is the default one.

Any problems with Colour, could be due to Adobe Gamma. You need to remove
that from the "Start Up" Folder, because otherwise it will probably try to
adjust the Monitor Colour, Double Profiling.

Yup, did that already.

You also need to get a Printer Profile, to ensure that your Printer gives
you the correct colours.

The Epson R1800 has a set of profiles and various other options -
I got the best match setting the printer to 'Adobe RGB' with gamma 2.2
and using that as printer profile. Next best was the profile suplied
by Epson, applied by the PS (with color mgmt disabled in printer
driver). Something that can be downloaded from Epson as supposedly
even better profile was worse. I am using original inks, original
paper and printing mode that matches the profile.

If your Scanner or Camera can not be set to "Tag" your images with Adobe RGB
as the Working Space Profile, or can not "Tag" any Profile, then they are
almost certainly working in sRGB.

My camera allows me to choose that - I shoot with Adobe RGB + embed
profile. However, at this moment I am trying to match display
and printer - these things come later. The test image I tried
to view and print is tagged with Adobe RGB.

The big problem with Elements is that you can not select which Profile to
use as Working Space, it just seems to use Adobe RGB.

Aha. Does it matter for colors well within the gamut of both
the display and printer?

There will always be some differences in Colour between what you see on
Screen and what comes out of the Printer. In the Big PS you can use "Soft
Proof" to show what it will look like using the Printer Profile for whatever
Paper you plan to Print on. That is much closer, but is still not exact.

Interesting. What exactly does this soft proof mode do (in terms
of what profile gets applied when)?

Thanks
--
Stano
Old December 19th 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

Roy G writes ...

The big problem with Elements is that you can not select which Profile
to use as Working Space, it just seems to use Adobe RGB.

Edit - Color Settings lets you pick between 'no color management',
'limited color management' (sRGB) or 'full color management'
(AdobeRGB). I think it actually defaults to sRGB and you have to
change it to get AdobeRGB (this is with Elements 3, may be different
with 4 or 2).

Also, if you open a file in a different color space like, say,
Ektaspace, it recognizes the profile and lets you work in that space
for that file.

Bill

Old December 19th 05, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

Stano writes ...

What exactly does this soft proof mode do (in terms
of what profile gets applied when)?

When you print a file the RGB values get translated by the software
into different numbers for the printer, ideally so that what spits out
on the print ('hard proof') looks as close as possible to what you see
on the screen. This translation is a basic concept behind the ICC
color managment flow, explained well here
....http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13605.html

What 'soft proofing' does is try to emulate what the final print will
look like by changing the brightness and colors on the screen to mimic
how the final print will appear. So you have a 'soft proof' on the
monitor and after you apply the printer profile you can make edits for
contrast and color for that particular paper/ink profile, if necessary
(usually best to put these in a separate layer set).

If you have a good monitor, accurate monitor profile and accurate
printer profiles then you can usually get 90-98% accuracy, but there
are a lot of bad profiles floating around so for many people it doesn't
work accurately. Here's an article explaining it in more detail ...
http://www.creativepro.com/story/fea...l?origin=story

This feature was added in Photoshop 6 and Elements typically lags
Photoshop in features by 2-3 versions, so maybe Adobe has included it
with V 4 or perhaps in V 5 (it's not in Elements 3).

Bill

Old December 19th 05, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Roy G writes ...

The big problem with Elements is that you can not select which Profile
to use as Working Space, it just seems to use Adobe RGB.

Edit - Color Settings lets you pick between 'no color management',
'limited color management' (sRGB) or 'full color management'
(AdobeRGB). I think it actually defaults to sRGB and you have to
change it to get AdobeRGB (this is with Elements 3, may be different
with 4 or 2).

Also, if you open a file in a different color space like, say,
Ektaspace, it recognizes the profile and lets you work in that space
for that file.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

That is what I originally suspected Elements was doing, but recently while
using it on my daughters machine, all her images seemed to be Tagged with
Adobe RGB. Yet, after bringing some of them home, Ps brought up the
Untagged Dialogue when opening them.

I normally use Ps CS on my own machine, and gave her Elements 2 which I got
free with a scanner, so I am not very expert with it.

Roy G

Old December 19th 05, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

Roy G writes ...

recently while using it (Elements 2) on my daughters machine, all
her images seemed to be Tagged with Adobe RGB. Yet, after
bringing some of them home, Ps brought up the
Untagged Dialogue when opening them.

In Elements 3 when you do a Save As (and probably 'save' as well)
there's a check box for 'Save Options - Color: ICC Profile' and if this
is checked it seems to attach the named profile, which Photoshop then
picks up. So maybe this is unchecked on your daughter's machine or
maybe Elements 2 is different than 3 on this.

I normally use Ps CS on my own machine, and gave her Elements 2 which
I got free with a scanner, so I am not very expert with it.

I'm in the same boat, a Photoshop user since V 4 with several bundled
copies of Elements that came with scanners and digital cameras. A
friend is a newbie to digital stuff and got Elements free with his
scanner so I loaded one of my copies and tried to help him learn the
basics, but I'm not very good with it either

Bill

Old December 19th 05, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

In article , says...
[...]

I'll just paste a reply that I posted recently - this is quite a common
misunderstanding and concerns the difference between calibration and a
monitor profile. Sorry if it's a bit long...

Creating a monitor profile has 2 parts:
1 - Calibration: the display is adjusted (via settings in the graphics
card and maybe the monitor controls) to get things like colour
temperature, gamma etc. correct. All applications see the effect of the
calibration - this is what gets loaded to the graphics card when the
system starts up.
2 - Profiling: the response of the calibrated display is accurately
measured to create a profile of how it displays colour. This profile is
used by profile-aware applications to adjust the colours sent to the
graphics card and monitor. Without these adjustments, the colour
displayed will not be accurate.

Photoshop or PSE, as you can imagine, is profile-aware and displays
accurate colour. Most other applications (e.g. web browsers, Windows
itself) are not profile-aware, do not correct the colours sent to the
graphics card, and do not display accurate colour. That is why you are
seeing a difference.

Unfortunately (unless your PC is a Mac!), if you want a profiled monitor
you have to put up with a difference between Photoshop/PSE and most
other applications. Photoshop/PSE is correct