PING: The Narrow Boaters in The Room

Old July 7th 17, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default PING: The Narrow Boaters in The Room

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Savageduck

Old July 7th 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/7/2017 6:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Interesting series of shots.

--
PeterN
Old July 7th 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 7, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Of course those shots were taken running/walking the towpath rather than
cruising with a narrow boat.

Savageduck

Old July 7th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/2017 6:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Interesting series of shots.

I thought so, especially since David_B is a narrow boat owner, and is
probably familiar with this type of scenery.

Savageduck

Old July 8th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/7/2017 6:56 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 7/7/2017 6:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Interesting series of shots.

I thought so, especially since David_B is a narrow boat owner, and is
probably familiar with this type of scenery.

I like the fact that the series of images, as a group, tells an
interesting story.
I have been to US canal sites, but have not envisioned that type of
story. It gives me a thought for some type of series. There are quite a
few formerly commercial sites that have been transformed into quality
recreation areas. A few come to mind. NYC In the Berkshires, Highline
Park in NYC; the former RR tracks in the Berkshire; the canal near New
hope, PA, the Georgetown Canal, near DC, portions of the Erie Canal,
Walkway State Park (Highland Railroad Bridge, and hundreds of other
places, that I am not familiar with.

--
PeterN
Old July 8th 17, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 7, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

In the US I am most familiar with the Erie (Now NY State Barge Canal)
especially the section between Albany and Syracuse. The widower of one of my
cousins (another dead chronic smoker) lives on the canal at Marcy, NY near
Lock #20.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6aw1jwiytumsgu4/screenshot_74.jpg

Savageduck

Old July 8th 17, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 07-Jul-17 11:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Thank you so much for posting this article, Savageduck.

As you might have expected, I _have_ travelled along this attractive
stretch of our waterways but it was many years ago. Quite a
memory-jerker and a really enjoyable start to my day! :-)

In return, I have pleasure in attaching a photograph of the view from my
galley door this very morning:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uabj1li5l...02017.JPG?dl=0

I have to confess that it wasn't as tranquil as this yesterday! It is,
though, a very special place. Here's a picture of the sky after the sun
went down last evening:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol4sbf8gqp...02017.JPG?dl=0

A little history he-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tixall_Wide

David B.
Old July 8th 17, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 8, 2017, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 07-Jul-17 11:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Thank you so much for posting this article, Savageduck.

As you might have expected, I _have_ travelled along this attractive
stretch of our waterways but it was many years ago. Quite a
memory-jerker and a really enjoyable start to my day! :-)

I thought that even if you hadn’t travelled that particular waterway, it
would still be of interest.

I have only visited Bath once with my British grandparents in 1972. I really
should add another visit before time moves on too much.

I have another odd connection with Bath, my Father-in-Law lived there in his
retirement.

He was an interesting, and quite eccentric character. Before the war he was a
British Colonial Service doctor based in Singapore, and was captured by the
Japanese when Singapore fell. He survived his experience as a POW to become
the a Deputy Director of WHO in Africa, based in Brazzaville. When he retired
from WHO he joined the RFA, and served as the ship’s surgeon on the “Sir
Gallahad”. However, he had got into another phase of retirement, and had
left the ship before it met its end during the Falklands War. Then he got
into bell ringing at Bath Cathedral.

I still have few mementos of him via my wife, an Admiral Fitzroy barometer
(19th Century), an 18th Century brass lantern clock, and a pencil sketch of
him as a POW made by another of those unfortunates.

Here are two of those:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej4375ibjh5rfba/DSCF5064c.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uabj1li5l...202017.JPG?dl=

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol4sbf8gqp...07%20July%2020
17.JPG?dl=0

A little history he-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tixall_Wide

Nice.

Savageduck

Old July 9th 17, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_3_]

On 08-Jul-17 2:32 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 8, 2017, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 07-Jul-17 11:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

http://charrisonphoto.net/blog/2017/4/18/bath-to-boa

Thank you so much for posting this article, Savageduck.

As you might have expected, I _have_ travelled along this attractive
stretch of our waterways but it was many years ago. Quite a
memory-jerker and a really enjoyable start to my day! :-)

I thought that even if you hadn’t travelled that particular waterway, it
would still be of interest.

You were right! :-D Thanks again.

I have only visited Bath once with my British grandparents in 1972. I really
should add another visit before time moves on too much.

Although it is no longer permitted, we moored on the river close to
Pulteney Bridge (the one with the buildings on it!). I found this short
video which must have been taken from the same spot:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X7CiGp1fEE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulteney_Bridge

I have another odd connection with Bath, my Father-in-Law lived there in his
retirement.

He was an interesting, and quite eccentric character. Before the war he was a
British Colonial Service doctor based in Singapore, and was captured by the
Japanese when Singapore fell. He survived his experience as a POW to become
the a Deputy Director of WHO in Africa, based in Brazzaville. When he retired
from WHO he joined the RFA, and served as the ship’s surgeon on the “Sir
Gallahad”. However, he had got into another phase of retirement, and had
left the ship before it met its end during the Falklands War. Then he got
into bell ringing at Bath Cathedral.

Sounds as if he had a rather charmed life! :-)

I still have few mementos of him via my wife, an Admiral Fitzroy barometer
(19th Century), an 18th Century brass lantern clock, and a pencil sketch of
him as a POW made by another of those unfortunates.

"Unfortunates" indeed. I shall never forget learing about those Japanese
POWs when I visited here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rial_Arboretum

Here are two of those:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej4375ibjh5rfba/DSCF5064c.jpg

Thank you for sharing.

In return, I have pleasure in attaching a photograph of the view from my
galley door this very morning:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uabj1li5l...202017.JPG?dl=
0

I have to confess that it wasn't as tranquil as this yesterday! It is,
though, a very special place. Here's a picture of the sky after the sun
went down last evening:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol4sbf8gqp...07%20July%2020
17.JPG?dl=0

A little history he-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tixall_Wide

Nice.

I'm no great photographer but I think I did justice to the scene! ;-)

It was taken with my iPad, not a camera.

--
David B.