Small P&S Shutter Lag Times ?

Old January 6th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Bandicoot

Default Small P&S Shutter Lag Times ?

I have been asked to help buy a compact digital camera, and am currently,
with the intended purchaser, making our shortlist of models to look at based
on published spec.s and reviews. But as we all know, published spec.s very
rarely say anything about shutter lag...

She wants a camera that can go with her all the time, so it needs to be
small. Main interests are landscape and - the impetus for buying the thing
in the first place - a new kitten. So a lens that goes reasonably wide
(insofar as they do) would be good, and a bit of reach at the other end
would also help. Something of, say, five or six MP up would be enough.
And, obviously, for the kitten, minimal shutter lag is absolutely critical.

I'm sure this has been discussed at regular intervals, but I couldn't see a
recent thread on it, and anything older is likely to exclude many more
recent models, so thought I'd ask the question 'afresh'.

Any comments or experience on models fitting the above criteria that have
either particularly short (good) or long (bad) shutter lag would be very
much appreciated. I suppose long start-up time would also be a bad thing,
so any experience there would be useful as well.

(Models she's shortlisted so far include Ricoh Caplios, various Pentaxes, a
Samsung, Olympus, and Fujis, but other suggestions welcome.)

Very many thanks (and Happy New Year),

Peter
--
http://www.bard-hill.co.uk

Old January 6th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Steve Cutchen

In article , Bandicoot
wrote:

[...]

The only real effective way to account for shutter lag in a P&S is
technique. Pre-squeezing to set focus and exposure... then waiting
for the shot. Release of the shutter from this point is instantaneous.
Can be problematic if the lighting of the composition changes (kitten
runs from shaddow to sun) or the subject changes distance. But the
second one is not so bad with many P&Ss because they have decent DoF
with the wide angle and relatively slow lens.
Old January 6th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:34:59 -0600, Steve Cutchen wrote:

In article , Bandicoot
wrote:

[...]

Many of them have a "sport mode" that is intended to minimize lag.

I keep hearing about these P&S cameras with "relatively slow lens" but all
the ones that I find "interesting" have f/2.8 lenses, which as zooms go
are quite fast.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old January 6th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Steve Cutchen

wrote:

[...]

2.8 at wide angle... 5.4 or so zoomed out.
Old January 6th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm
Old January 6th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

wrote in message
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

They have an interesting definition of shutter lag.
"The Shutter Lag Comparison Table shows the amount of time it takes each
camera to record one shot and five shots"

It is supposed to be the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates and has /nothing/ to do with how long it takes to record
the image.

The table appears to be meaningless as far as shutter lag goes.

Anyway most cameras can operate faster if you turn off automatic white
balance.
It certainly slows mine down.
The same is true of auto exposure but its more difficult to live without.

Old January 7th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

They have an interesting definition of shutter lag.
"The Shutter Lag Comparison Table shows the amount of time it takes each
camera to record one shot and five shots"

It is supposed to be the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates and has /nothing/ to do with how long it takes to record
the image.

The sites use of the word record is misleading. Shutter lag times
show ARE for the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates. If you'd include the record time also then the
times would be much slower than the fast times stated.

The table appears to be meaningless as far as shutter lag goes.

Not so. The table can be arranged by brand, category of camera,
five shot, or one shot lag times. Not electronic record times as you
believe.

Old January 7th 07, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

They have an interesting definition of shutter lag.
"The Shutter Lag Comparison Table shows the amount of time it takes each
camera to record one shot and five shots"

It is supposed to be the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates and has /nothing/ to do with how long it takes to record
the image.

The table appears to be meaningless as far as shutter lag goes.

Anyway most cameras can operate faster if you turn off automatic white
balance.
It certainly slows mine down.
The same is true of auto exposure but its more difficult to live without.

Continuous auto-focus can also slow things quite a bit. I define
'shutter lag' as the time between full depression of the shutter button,
and recording of the image. Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.
Old January 7th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 04:05:10 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

They have an interesting definition of shutter lag.
"The Shutter Lag Comparison Table shows the amount of time it takes each
camera to record one shot and five shots"

It is supposed to be the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates and has /nothing/ to do with how long it takes to record
the image.

The table appears to be meaningless as far as shutter lag goes.

Anyway most cameras can operate faster if you turn off automatic white
balance.
It certainly slows mine down.
The same is true of auto exposure but its more difficult to live without.

Continuous auto-focus can also slow things quite a bit.

Shouldn't. Continuous autofocus means that the image is already focused
when the release is pressed--should be almost as quick as prefocus.

I define
'shutter lag' as the time between full depression of the shutter button,
and recording of the image. Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.

http://www.dpreview.com has reviews on a large number of digital cameras
and they measure the lag under several different conditions. However their
site doesn't make it easy to put together a comparison on that basis, you
have to read each review and put together a list then sort it yourself.

Old January 7th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Steve Cutchen

In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutte...omparisons.cfm

They have an interesting definition of shutter lag.
"The Shutter Lag Comparison Table shows the amount of time it takes each
camera to record one shot and five shots"

It is supposed to be the time taken from pressing the release until the
shutter operates and has /nothing/ to do with how long it takes to record
the image.

The table appears to be meaningless as far as shutter lag goes.

Anyway most cameras can operate faster if you turn off automatic white
balance.
It certainly slows mine down.
The same is true of auto exposure but its more difficult to live without.

Continuous auto-focus can also slow things quite a bit. I define
'shutter lag' as the time between full depression of the shutter button,
and recording of the image.

in memory... i.e. getting the shot. Yes. I'd agree.

Unfortunately, the chart referenced seems
to also consider flash recharge, and write to card, times. Not useful
for answering the OP's question.

Pre-squeezing reduced the shutter lag to zero, but at the sacrifice of
locking in the AF and exposure. In some cases, not a bad compromise if
you are careful at what scene you pre-squeeze.