Digital Camera Repair

Old January 18th 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Digital Camera Repair

I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
rubber band holding the battery door closed.

Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them and
they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
camera in exchange for another?

Thanks,

Glenn

Old January 18th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Glenn Dulmage" wrote in message
I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
rubber band holding the battery door closed.

Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
camera in exchange for another?

Thanks,

Glenn

The door to your Canon Digital Rebel camera is a proprietary thing, and
breaking the door is not a common occurrence that you think a third party
would manufacture replacement parts for that. I think you may have to pay
Canon or keep using the rubber band.

If you think a common rubber band is ugly, you may consider buying some of
those colourful pony tail elastics from the hair care aile. They add
elegance and decor to you camera.

Old January 18th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Glenn Dulmage" wrote in message
I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
rubber band holding the battery door closed.

Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
camera in exchange for another?

If this happened to me my Home Contents would cover under the section Goods
temporry removed.
Guess I would to pay the first £50.
Of course the Insurence company might not decide to repair and would supply
a new camera. Policy is New for Old.
--
Regards
David

Please reply to News Group

Old January 18th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:48:48 GMT, "Glenn Dulmage" wrote:

I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
rubber band holding the battery door closed.

Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them and
they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
camera in exchange for another?

Probably requires case replacement.

$250, I'd say.

Old January 18th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Glenn Dulmage wrote:
I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to
the battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it
with a rubber band holding the battery door closed.

Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried
them and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or
perhaps take the camera in exchange for another?

Thanks,

Glenn

Try Googling for "camera repairs", followed by the country you live in, eg
"UK", and I am sure you will come up with lots of hits. I have just had a
Leica repaired by a most delightful guy who did the job at a huge discount,
guaranteed it, and sent me a one-hour video of him doing the work! Sure it
was expensive, but the camera, a 1952 Leica 3f, is now absolutely as new.

Not suggesting that your Canon problem would interest this guy, but there
must be someone who does the new stuff, or do they expect us to buy a new
camera?

The insurance mentioned by a previous poster is quite fantastic if you have
it. I got a brand-new £800 laptop when I dropped my ancient Thinkpad on the
floor last year, no questions asked!

Dennis.

Old January 18th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Glenn Dulmage" wrote in message
I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
rubber band holding the battery door closed.

Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
camera in exchange for another?

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi.

I am not sure what the Battery Compartment door on a Rebel looks like.

I worked in reception for a Repairer, and snapped off battery doors were
very commonplace, so much so that we carried stocks for most of the Popular
Cameras. It was a 5 minute job to replace them, and most could be done by
just loosening the screws on the base, without any actual dismantling.

If you are in the UK, Jessops, or your local dealer will probably have an
arrangement with one of the independant repairers. They should be able to
get an estimate for your replacement door by phoning.

Roy G

Old January 18th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Tesco News wrote:
[...]

Can you post a picture of what the latching mechanism looks like?
I have had some luck heat welding these things or replacing the latch
tongue with a fine screw.
Used to work for a pro camera repair and it was nice having $300k in
replacement parts.
Richard

Old January 18th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The camera door is easily removeable. Pull down the little black lever
on the hinge and it pops out. Get a new one and you can replace it
yourself. I've ordered parts from
http://www.huroncamera.com/repair_parts.htm before. Good service and
quick response. Good luck.

Old January 18th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Pat wrote:
The camera door is easily removeable. Pull down the little black lever
on the hinge and it pops out. Get a new one and you can replace it
yourself. I've ordered parts from
http://www.huroncamera.com/repair_parts.htm before. Good service and
quick response. Good luck.

Holy crap batman, $15 for that battery cover!
Thanks for the link dude, I have the same camera!

Butch Lacadie