FYI: Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Old August 31st 05, 04:50 PM
Barry Pearson

Kerry wrote:
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in
et:

[snip]
It is useful for previewing direction within Explorer. It also
works nice as a default viewer as it is pretty fast.

Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs

Microsoft announced that with Longhorn / Vista they would have a more
comprehensive capability, in which the various camera makers could
supply codecs to support their formats. And Adobe will provide one for
DNG, of course.

What we see at the moment is a stop-gap until then. Microsoft were
probably a bit concerned about Preview in Tiger, which I believe
already supports more than just Nikon and Canon.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Old August 31st 05, 05:14 PM
l e o

Barry Pearson wrote:
Kerry wrote:

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in
.net:

[snip]

It is useful for previewing direction within Explorer. It also
works nice as a default viewer as it is pretty fast.

Doesn't work for my Pentax *istDS RAWs

Microsoft announced that with Longhorn / Vista they would have a more
comprehensive capability, in which the various camera makers could
supply codecs to support their formats. And Adobe will provide one for
DNG, of course.

What we see at the moment is a stop-gap until then. Microsoft were
probably a bit concerned about Preview in Tiger, which I believe
already supports more than just Nikon and Canon.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/

You mean Tiger as in OSX? No, it doesn't have preview in file manager as
in WinXP. There are RAW supports in the OS but it's mainly used by
iPhoto. The Microsoft RAW preview which is hooked to the file explorer
is very handy if you need to move/organize the files/photos from one
folder to another without using a third party viewer.
Old September 1st 05, 02:08 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , l e o
wrote:

You mean Tiger as in OSX? No, it doesn't have preview in file manager as
in WinXP. There are RAW supports in the OS but it's mainly used by
iPhoto. The Microsoft RAW preview which is hooked to the file explorer
is very handy if you need to move/organize the files/photos from one
folder to another without using a third party viewer.

I can double-click on one of my 10D RAW files, and Preview loads and
displays it for me.

Know what a vacuum cleaner has in common with a computer running
Windows?

When you plug 'em in, they both suck.