Nikon to announce new products on Sep. 1

Old August 26th 05, 07:54 AM
John Francis

Default Nikon to announce new products on Sep. 1

In article ,
Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
Just saw an invitation to a press conference on Sep. 1 where
Nikon is going to announce several new products. No details
yet - just the assurance that this will be interesting.

Hence, the field is open for speculation, which is probably what
Nikon wants. Just a new flash, lens or yet another P&S after
Canon's 5D announcement would be lame - rather than interesting.
The D100 is overdue for a replacement, and the D2x is not, so my
money is on that the main event will be the D200.

The $64000 question (although I hope it retail for less than that)
is whether it will be FF or not.

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

The D200 will be positioned against the EOS 20D, at a price point
I'd guess somewhere around $1200 - certainly no more than $1500.
You can't sell a 'FF' sensor at that kind of price. Well, not
for long, anyway. I suppose it's just conceivable that we'd see
an APS-H (1.3x crop factor), but even that is unlikely; having
a smaller sensor on your top-end model than on a midrange body
seems a rather unlikely strategy.

Old August 26th 05, 08:17 AM
David J Taylor

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
Just saw an invitation to a press conference on Sep. 1 where
Nikon is going to announce several new products. No details
yet - just the assurance that this will be interesting.

Hence, the field is open for speculation, which is probably what
Nikon wants. Just a new flash, lens or yet another P&S after
Canon's 5D announcement would be lame - rather than interesting.
The D100 is overdue for a replacement, and the D2x is not, so my
money is on that the main event will be the D200.

The $64000 question (although I hope it retail for less than that)
is whether it will be FF or not.

I sincerely hope they do provide a full-frame camera at some point in the
near future - all this using large and bulky 35mm bodies and mounting toy
sensors in them which limit wide-angle capability has gone on for too
long! G (I don't think they will do that on September 1st, though).

On the ZLR front, I would like to see a move from the 8MP sensor down to a
less-noisy 7MP sensor or something which gains low-light capability, with
an improvement to the telephoto aperture on both the Coolpix 8400 and
8800, and the addition of image stabilisation to the 8400.

David

Old August 26th 05, 09:14 AM
Philip Homburg

David J Taylor wrote:
Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
The $64000 question (although I hope it retail for less than that)
is whether it will be FF or not.

I sincerely hope they do provide a full-frame camera at some point in the
near future - all this using large and bulky 35mm bodies and mounting toy
sensors in them which limit wide-angle capability has gone on for too
long! G (I don't think they will do that on September 1st, though).

I wonder how far the resolution of 1.5 crop sensors can be pushed without
seriously compromising dynamic range.

Suppose that Nikon creates a camera with interchangeable sensors: one
24 Mpixpel sensor that only works at ISO 200, and a 6 Mpixel sensor that
goes up to ISO 1600 or higher. (and a B/W sensor, and an IR sensor, etc.)

That may be cost effective as long as full frame sensors remain at least
twice as expensive as APS-C sensors.

It would make for an interesting shoot out if Nikon announces a 12 Mpixel
D200 for less than $2000.

Old August 26th 05, 10:17 AM
SMS

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

If these are the specs, it sure looks as if it is positioned to
compete with the 20D. The only weird bit is 800 as the top ISO
sensitivity.

Not weird at all, if it really is 1.5x and 12.4 megapixel. Nikon's taken
a beating on the noise issues with the D2x at the higher ISOs--better to
just leave it out completely than to have to deal with comparisons with
the 20D.

I think Nikon's committment to DX-lenses rules out a 1.3x crop.

Eventually they will have to come out with some full-frame models, if
they want to stay in the high end.
Old August 26th 05, 02:37 PM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
According to a thread in the dpreview forum. Nikon "accidently" posted
the specs. on the web he
http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ...df/D200_6p.pdf
It's gone now, but these people claim to have them:
http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/blo...ecification-2/

ISO 100-800 (???), CF Card and 2.5 in monitor,
3D Matrix, Center weighted and Spot metering,
9 AF sensors, instant on, 52 ms shutter lag.

If these are the specs, it sure looks as if it is positioned to
compete with the 20D. The only weird bit is 800 as the top ISO
sensitivity.

I agree that the cap @ 800 ISO is a bit odd, the rest of the specs
looks decent. A boost in mpxls over the 20D will give it some market
legs, at least in the short term until Canon comes out with a 20D
replacement (and thus the leapfroging game continues).

I like the 'accidental' post on the Nikon site. Maybe I should start
another "put up/shut up" thread...

Old August 26th 05, 07:33 PM
Jeremy Nixon

SMS wrote:

It's a pretty good marketing move, to emphasize your positives, while
preventing comparisons against the negatives. Most people will be
content with 800 ISO, so the reviews won't ding the omission of higher
ISO speeds nearly as much as they would ding noise at the higher ISO
speeds. Nikon needs to avoid comparisons of noise, against their Canon
competition, as much as possible. We all saw what happened with the D2x
high ISO noise in the reviews, and Nikon is determined to avoid a repeat
of this.

Dude... it's exactly the same, the D2x maxes out at 800 too. Remember
that Nikon doesn't dishonestly list digital-push settings as rated ISO
sensitivities.

--
Jeremy |