35mm camera tools

Old July 3rd 04, 03:31 AM
Howard Nelson

Default 35mm camera tools

What basic tools are needed to work on (play with) some older manual focus
slr bodies I have accumulated over the past 30 years and which are now
starting to fail (advance lever not engaging, mirror hung, etc). Does anyone
make a basic tool kit for this kind of work? I like to tinker and since they
aren't working now what worse could I do .
Thanks
Howard

---

Old July 3rd 04, 03:38 AM
Chris B

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
m...
What basic tools are needed to work on (play with) some older manual focus
slr bodies I have accumulated over the past 30 years and which are now
starting to fail (advance lever not engaging, mirror hung, etc). Does

anyone
make a basic tool kit for this kind of work? I like to tinker and since

they
aren't working now what worse could I do .
Thanks
Howard

I've made a few repairs to cameras, haven't used anything more than a basic
set of precision screwdrivers (you really appreciate having a good quality
set) and a gigantic, mains powered electro-magnet for all the little bits of
camera I keep losing over the floor

Chris.

Old July 3rd 04, 04:23 AM
Mike

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
m...
What basic tools are needed to work on (play with) some older manual focus
slr bodies I have accumulated over the past 30 years and which are now
starting to fail (advance lever not engaging, mirror hung, etc). Does

anyone
make a basic tool kit for this kind of work? I like to tinker and since

they
aren't working now what worse could I do .
Thanks
Howard

At least one set of good screw drivers, 2 cross point drivers of different
sizes, a couple of non-magnetic tweezers,
a few cheap long nose pliers you can grind into different tools. I also make
many custom tools from wide flat spring stock like the kind found in big
wind up clocks.
Take a look at www.micro-tools.com Fargo has everything you will need to get
started.
Mike

Old July 4th 04, 03:58 AM
Howard Nelson

Thanks for your replies. Aside from cross point screws the cameras seem
to be held together by "rings" with slots on each side. I assume these are
threaded devices that act like bolts with holes in the middle. What are
these called and what are the tools called that remove them. Sorry to be so
unknowledgeable but I have not worked on devices that use these type of
retainers in the past.

Thanks
Howard

---

Old July 4th 04, 05:20 AM
Mike

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
Thanks for your replies. Aside from cross point screws the cameras

seem
to be held together by "rings" with slots on each side. I assume these are
threaded devices that act like bolts with holes in the middle. What are
these called and what are the tools called that remove them. Sorry to be

so
unknowledgeable but I have not worked on devices that use these type of
retainers in the past.

Thanks
Howard

You will find Howard that many of the tools you will need you will have to
fabricate yourself. I would suggest you order the Micro-Tools catalog or
visit the web site for off the shelf tools. What you are describing sounds
more like a nut than a bolt without a photo its hard to tell.
Mike

Old July 4th 04, 07:17 AM
Howard Nelson

"Mike" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Again thanks
On the microtool site the tool seems to be called a "spanner" comes flat or
pointed.
Silly me I always thought a "spanner" was a large wrench you kept in the
boot to work under the bonnet or to replace the tyre.

Howard

---

Old July 10th 04, 10:17 PM
Deathwalker

"Howard Nelson" wrote in message
m...

"Mike" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Someone had brought their camera in with a sticking shutter. 'hmm its abit
greasy too and smells a bit'
'Well i tried WD40 first but it didn't help'

Old July 10th 04, 11:09 PM
TP

"Deathwalker" wrote:

Someone had brought their camera in with a sticking shutter. 'hmm its abit
greasy too and smells a bit'
'Well i tried WD40 first but it didn't help'

Presumably that was the camera repairer speaking?