CAPTURING MEMORIES UNDERWATER

Old January 27th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Grumpy AuContraire

Default CAPTURING MEMORIES UNDERWATER

The "key" to success with mastering touch typing is to learn the key
positions without looking. Looking at the keys severely slows down the
process. I like most people in the 1950's learned on manual machines.
That room really shook when everyone was typing...

JT

Paul Heslop wrote:
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

wow, well done! I don't think i could physically or mentally stand the
challenge now. Could do with learning to type again, I've gone from
being reasonable to hitting the wrong keys all the time.

Learning to touch type is not really a big deal. I remember my mother
(at 55) who insisted on learning and I set up the same system that was
used in high school. She was typing 50+ wpm within six months of self
effort.

JT

that where you cover the keys with caps?

No, you provide a keyboard layout on the wall in front and learn key
sets two at a time. "Touch" typing depends on both hands residing on
"Home Row" which are anchored by the "f" for the left hand and "j" for
the right hand. Notice that these two keys have a raised indent on them.

JT

Oh yeah. I think in the UK, in the times when my sister and my wife
learned it they had plastic caps which went over the keys, so you
basically couldn't cheat... but then again they were 'real' manual
typewriters then. I learned to type rather like I write, very scrappy
and thudding away with two or three fingers but very quickly. Sadly
although the speed is still there the accuracy is not and I find I hit
the wrong keys more often, specially when using punctuation, with ;
instead of ' being the most common. Luckily spell check sorts that
out.

Old January 27th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Paul Heslop

Paul Heslop wrote:
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

[...]

Ah, mine was a 70s hammer it out fast and furious with two fingers but
no great skill at the process of recall. I have a reasonable idea by
now where things are but bad motor skills and etc cause me to hit the
wrong keys. I was unsure for a while if it may be a keyboard size
thing, after all some things just keep getting smaller.
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old January 27th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
MartinS

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

The "key" to success with mastering touch typing is to learn the key
positions without looking. Looking at the keys severely slows down the
process. I like most people in the 1950's learned on manual machines.
That room really shook when everyone was typing...

Nearly as bad as a roomful of chattering keypunch machines.

--
Martin S.