Rant about the term "ZLR"

Old December 3rd 05, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Rant about the term "ZLR"

Paul Allen wrote:

What fun! All you guys explaining physics are missing the point.
Of course, physicists know that the charge on an electron is negative
and electrons flow from the negative to positive terminals of a
power source. But, any dufus can tell you that things naturally flow
from where there's more (+) to where there's less (-).

If you really wanna get into it, "electric current" IS considered to
"flow" from positive to negative, and it does so at very near the speed
of light. However, the electrons themselves, being negatively charged,
do move toward the positive terminal, but much more slowly. It's a bit
of a paradox to wrap your mind around if you don't have at least
high-school physics...

Think Bill Cosby asking, "Why is there air?", while holding a volleyball
in his hand. He understands what air is. The point of the question is
to draw attention to what's funny. (Without air, volleyballs would be
flat!)

Yeah... I invented instant water, but I can't figure out what to add to it.

Sometimes, a little right-brain playfulness is good even for a
hard-core, left-brain physicist, right? :-)

It's a joke only a physicist could love

To get back on subject, I could do without the term "ZLR". It doesn't
bother me, but it does bother a lot of people. How 'bout "fixed zoom",
"fun zoom", "almost a dSLR", or insert your idea here.

I still think "point & shoot" covers it nicely.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0548-1, 12/01/2005
Tested on: 12/2/2005 11:09:09 PM

Old December 3rd 05, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

ASAAR wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:44:41 -0600, millereric wrote:

Compulsive workers are "workaholics", even though there is
no such thing as "workahol".

OK, you got me on that one.

Shouldn't. "aholic" started as a suffix to describe the alky
that's addicted to the stuff. Even though it's kinda stupid to
append "aholic" to those addicted to "work", we do it because people
"get" the connection, and what it's trying to convey. Same thing
with "gate" being appended to all sorts of scandals that have
nothing to do with the Watergate Hotel. People hear the word "gate"
and "get" the connection to a "scandal" of some sort. KoreaGate,
MonicaGate, PlameGate, etc.

ZLRgate!

Maybe that's why I never heard of it until now. But I've heard of
"chicken fried steak" many times. Do people really talk of "chicken
fried chicken"? How does it differ from fried chicken?

It's chicken-fried, of course!

Pray tell, what is so clear about a "fixed lens"?

Uhh, the glass! ooo I'm on a roll...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0548-1, 12/01/2005
Tested on: 12/2/2005 11:13:21 PM

Old December 3rd 05, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

ummmmm..............duh ...................

coz your canon is a DSLR :-)

"Bryan Olson" wrote in message
. net...
We should do away with the term "ZLR".

So utterly stupidis the proposed meaning of "ZLR" that my Sony F-707 would
be a "ZLR",
and my Canon Digital Rebel would not. Why should we fabricate and
adopt terminology that is so contrary to fact?

Old December 3rd 05, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 07:13:36 GMT, Matt Ion wrote:

Pray tell, what is so clear about a "fixed lens"?

Uhh, the glass! ooo I'm on a roll...

Well, as you don't seem to be the kinda guy that sees the glass as
half empty, you must be one of those positively charged Ions. But
try to avoid getting "fixed". It would be a very negative
experience.

Old December 3rd 05, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

wrote:
[]
Aparrently the cameras that are being described by ZLR shouldn't even
have the "R" part, because they do not have a mirror to reflect the
image onto a viewing screen (usually ground/etched glass).

[]

The reflex is electronic - not optical.

David

Old December 3rd 05, 08:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

"millereric" writes:
"Bryan Olson" wrote in message

Electricity is the flow of electrons; strangely
that flow is from negative charge to positive.

Why does logic dictate that electrons move in the opposite direction? All
other thing being equal, wouldn't there be fewer electrons in the place from
which the electrons are coming than in the place to which they are going?

There's a story behind this one. Someone (Benjamin Franklin?) had been
experimenting with static electricity, and figured out that a static
charge was the result of some charge carrier transferring from one
material to another. But he had no way of determining which direction
the carriers had moved, so he guessed. The material that he thought had
an excess of charge he called "positive" and the other "negative" - he
certainly intended that positive meant a surplus of charge.

Unfortunately, he guessed wrong, and as a result the electron has a
negative charge, and engineers still talk about "conventional current"
and "electron current" that flow in opposite directions. Some textbooks
are available in two versions, one for each of the conventions.

If he'd guessed correctly, electrons would be positive, all current
would flow from positive to negative, and some left-hand rules would
turn into right-hand rules (or vice versa).

An East wind blows to the West, is that also problematic?

It can be, if you forget that convention for the wind. Suppose you're
doing airplane navigation problems; the plane's velocity vector is a
vector in the direction you read from the compass, but a reported wind
direction of N degrees has to be added as a vector in the direction
N+180. It would be simpler if the wind was reported by the direction
it's going to, not coming from.

Dave
Old December 3rd 05, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

ASAAR wrote:
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 07:13:36 GMT, Matt Ion wrote:

Pray tell, what is so clear about a "fixed lens"?

Uhh, the glass! ooo I'm on a roll...

Well, as you don't seem to be the kinda guy that sees the glass as
half empty, you must be one of those positively charged Ions. But
try to avoid getting "fixed". It would be a very negative
experience.

Touche.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0548-1, 12/01/2005
Tested on: 12/3/2005 1:23:50 AM

Old December 3rd 05, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Dave Martindale wrote:

An East wind blows to the West, is that also problematic?

It can be, if you forget that convention for the wind. Suppose you're
doing airplane navigation problems; the plane's velocity vector is a
vector in the direction you read from the compass, but a reported wind
direction of N degrees has to be added as a vector in the direction
N+180. It would be simpler if the wind was reported by the direction
it's going to, not coming from.

Seeing as the convention has been in use since LONG before manned flight
of any kind, and anyone who would even have the need, let alone the
knowledge and ability, to calculate such vectors would be well trained
in such absolute basics of meteorology, I don't think there's much
chance of confusion happening there...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0548-1, 12/01/2005
Tested on: 12/3/2005 1:27:04 AM

Old December 3rd 05, 10:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

In article Ewbkf.23151$Gd6.19543@pd7tw3no,
Matt Ion wrote:
If you really wanna get into it, "electric current" IS considered to
"flow" from positive to negative, and it does so at very near the speed
of light.

What kind of experiment proves that current flows from positive to negative
and not the other way around? (Just curious. My understanding is that
what is important are current changes what causes the current change.
Information does not travel faster than the speed of light, so the current
change spreads from the point that caused the current change).

To get back on subject, I could do without the term "ZLR". It doesn't
bother me, but it does bother a lot of people. How 'bout "fixed zoom",
"fun zoom", "almost a dSLR", or insert your idea here.

I still think "point & shoot" covers it nicely.

It is 'high-end' point & shoot because they have an EVF.