Want a new camera.... But....

Old May 18th 05, 03:07 AM
Ed

Default Want a new camera.... But....

I keep yearning for a new camera like the Panasonic FZ-20. I want IS and
that nice manual focus ring....but...seems like every time I go out on a
shoot with my Olympus C-750, I am so pleased with my shots that it's hard to
justify the next step up in technology. I think I'll wait for the FZ-25
before making my move.
Ed

Old May 18th 05, 08:48 AM
David J Taylor

Ed wrote:
I keep yearning for a new camera like the Panasonic FZ-20. I want IS
and that nice manual focus ring....but...seems like every time I go
out on a shoot with my Olympus C-750, I am so pleased with my shots
that it's hard to justify the next step up in technology. I think
I'll wait for the FZ-25 before making my move.
Ed

Well, it seems to me that the FZ5 is the next step following the FZ20, and
it has dropped the manual focus ring. Panasonic are supposedly entering
the DSLR market with the 4/3 system at some point in the future, to they
may not want to instrodfuce models which conflict with a low-end DSLR.
You would find the IS a big boon, so you have a choice of the heavier FZ20
with manual focus, or the lighter FZ5 with no maunal focu or hot shoe.
The rest of the specs are in the same class as your C-750, but adding the
IS greatly increases the usability of the longer end of the zoom. The
range (36 - 432mm) is slightly greater as well.

If you really must wait, I'd suggest that having a swivel LCD finder,
perhaps a bigger sensor than the 1/2.5 inches, and perhaps a better EVF
were worth having. Some might want better video as well.

Cheers,
David

Old May 18th 05, 09:55 AM
NewsDroid

"Ed" ekirstein_atcatskill.net wrote:

I keep yearning for a new camera like the Panasonic FZ-20. I want IS and
that nice manual focus ring....but...seems like every time I go out on a
shoot with my Olympus C-750, I am so pleased with my shots that it's hard to
justify the next step up in technology. I think I'll wait for the FZ-25
before making my move.
Ed

It's a hard road to find the perfect camera. I love my FZ20's BIG Leica
lens and IS, the manual focus and zoom control knob are so-so and I miss
my pervious Canon S1-IS's swiveling viewfinder.

I guess you line them up side-by-side at DPreview and keep your wallet
zipped until something comes on the market that has everything.

--
.....NewsDroid
Old May 18th 05, 11:08 AM
Pete Fenelon

David J Taylor wrote:
Well, it seems to me that the FZ5 is the next step following the FZ20, and
it has dropped the manual focus ring.

No, the FZ5 is aimed at a lower point in the market than the FZ20. Its
relationship to the FZ20 is similar to the Konica-Minolta Z series'
relationship to the A series, IMHO. The Zs and the FZ4/5 are good
cameras, but the As and the FZ10/15/20 are nicer all round.

pete
--
"We ask ourselves 'what will become of Evil Gazebo?'"
Old May 18th 05, 12:51 PM
David J Taylor

Pete Fenelon wrote:
David J Taylor
wrote:
Well, it seems to me that the FZ5 is the next step following the
FZ20, and it has dropped the manual focus ring.

No, the FZ5 is aimed at a lower point in the market than the FZ20. Its
relationship to the FZ20 is similar to the Konica-Minolta Z series'
relationship to the A series, IMHO. The Zs and the FZ4/5 are good
cameras, but the As and the FZ10/15/20 are nicer all round.

pete

Part of my point was with a DSLR potentially coming, Panasonic may want to
move away slightly from the higher-end cameras like the FZ20.

Having used and compared both the FZ20 and FZ5, there is little, if any,
difference in quality, just a slight difference in facilities (f/3.3
instead of f/2.8 lens at maximum zoom) and no flash hot-shoe or manual
focus. There is less difference between the FZ20 and FZ5 than between the
A and Z Minolta - I was disappointed to see the excellent A2 viewfinder
had been dropped even from the A200.

David

Old May 18th 05, 01:16 PM
Pete Fenelon

David J Taylor wrote:

Part of my point was with a DSLR potentially coming, Panasonic may want to
move away slightly from the higher-end cameras like the FZ20.

Ah, I see what you mean - you think the 20 might be the last in that
particular line.

Having used and compared both the FZ20 and FZ5, there is little, if any,
difference in quality, just a slight difference in facilities (f/3.3
instead of f/2.8 lens at maximum zoom) and no flash hot-shoe or manual
focus. There is less difference between the FZ20 and FZ5 than between the
A and Z Minolta - I was disappointed to see the excellent A2 viewfinder
had been dropped even from the A200.

I find the 5 feels rather flimsy - the 10 and 20 are very close to Canon
build quality; you can feel that corners have been cut on assembly and
materials! That said, I'm sure you can get images as good as a 20 from
a 5, under most circumstances.

pete
--
"We ask ourselves 'what will become of Evil Gazebo?'"
Old May 18th 05, 01:29 PM
David J Taylor

Pete Fenelon wrote:
David J Taylor
wrote:

Part of my point was with a DSLR potentially coming, Panasonic may
want to move away slightly from the higher-end cameras like the FZ20.

Ah, I see what you mean - you think the 20 might be the last in that
particular line.

Just a possibility, although I thought that the release of the FZ5 might
also be a hint.

[]
I find the 5 feels rather flimsy - the 10 and 20 are very close to
Canon
build quality; you can feel that corners have been cut on assembly and
materials! That said, I'm sure you can get images as good as a 20
from
a 5, under most circumstances.

pete

Yes, there is certainly a difference in the feel - whether the FZ5 is
actually any less robust I wouldn't like to say. You pays your money and
takes your choice!

Cheers,
David

Old May 19th 05, 04:13 AM
Ed

Yea, I wouldn't get a camera without Manual Focus and I think the ring is a
great idea. I know its much easier to manually focus than my C-750. I also
would always want the hot shoe as I have really gotten good use out of my
Promaster 5750DX flash on the Olympus. Its fully automatic TTL on the
Olympus and I guess I'd be giving that up with the FZ-20, but that's
something I can live with. I'd sell the Promaster and get a less expensive
manual flash for the Panasonic.

I still hope the next model of the FZ would have a swivel EVF, maybe more
resolution in the EVF, better movie mode (even though I'm not sure I'd use
it), and hopefully, faster operation with lower power just by the fact that
new should be faster and lower power. 7 or 8 mp wouldn't be bad either, but
like some have said, that would put it into the $800 to $1000 range like the
A2.

Ed

Old May 19th 05, 08:08 AM
David J Taylor

Ed wrote:
[]
I still hope the next model of the FZ would have a swivel EVF, maybe
more resolution in the EVF, better movie mode (even though I'm not
sure I'd use it), and hopefully, faster operation with lower power
just by the fact that new should be faster and lower power. 7 or 8
mp wouldn't be bad either, but like some have said, that would put it
into the $800 to $1000 range like the A2.

Ed

D P Now is running a survey on what features you want in future cameras
for Panasonic, so you can have your say!

http://www.dpnow.com

I do agree about the swivel LCD and better EVF. I haven't found speed and
power as much of a problem.

David

Old May 19th 05, 11:08 AM
NewsDroid

"David J Taylor"
wrote:

I do agree about the swivel LCD and better EVF. I haven't found speed and
power as much of a problem.

One problem I have had with the FZ20 is the somewhat limited dynamic
range. Loss of shadow detail and blown highlights, often in the same
photo. Maybe it's the intense light we tend to get in New Zealand.
Certainly I'm forever having to hunt around for the right combination of
sun on the clouds or snow or something, half press the shutter to lock
the reading, then frame up for the shot.

Do other digicams have the same battle?

--
.....NewsDroid